I have $200, what to buy?
Jun 21, 2014 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Headph0neNewb

New Head-Fier
So I have been using the Audio Technica M-50's for awhile and I like them a lot. However I am just antsy for something new. I've been considering the Sennheiser Momentums. So any other suggestions would be nice.

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 19
I am in a similar position as you. I own the M-50s and love them, but I'm just looking for something new. They do so many things right for so many different genres. The momentums are great headphones too. I got to test out my friend's pair for a week. But I have to be honest with you, for $200, you may find that you just can't scratch that itch. That is to say, with a budget of $200, it's been hard to find something that blow the M-50s away. Right now, I'm thinking about trying out a set of open-back headphones. They offer something that closed-backs just can't do, soundstaging. I've heard a lot of good things about the Beyerdynamic dt990s and the dt880s. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but from what I've read they are both outstanding headphones and are both under $200 on amazon. Anyways, good luck with your search!

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks, yeah they are a great headphone, and mine have handled a lot of abuse.

The problem I think I would have with the Momentums comfort. I like my ears enveloped at I don't really care for on ear.

I hope others can give suggestions, I could stretch my budget higher if needed. Hope your search goes well too.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks, yeah they are a great headphone, and mine have handled a lot of abuse.

The problem I think I would have with the Momentums comfort. I like my ears enveloped at I don't really care for on ear.

I hope others can give suggestions, I could stretch my budget higher if needed. Hope your search goes well too.

I'd recommend the DT880 on the basis of comfort and sound quality.

These are one of the most comfy full-size 'phones available. They are light for the size and the velour earpads are soft. If you go for Premium models, the clamping force is just nice too (but at slight expense of bass compared to Pro models).

These are open headphones, so you'll definitely notice an improvement in soundstage size/depth and the 'airiness' of the sound compared to the closed back nature of ATH M-50.

The only thing you may need to be wary of is the tonal balance. Compared to M-50s, bass quantity on these is slightly reduced but quality (texture) is improved. Bass becomes more alive when amped, though not by that much.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 19
I'd recommend the DT880 on the basis of comfort and sound quality.

These are one of the most comfy full-size 'phones available. They are light for the size and the velour earpads are soft. If you go for Premium models, the clamping force is just nice too (but at slight expense of bass compared to Pro models).

These are open headphones, so you'll definitely notice an improvement in soundstage size/depth and the 'airiness' of the sound compared to the closed back nature of ATH M-50.

The only thing you may need to be wary of is the tonal balance. Compared to M-50s, bass quantity on these is slightly reduced but quality (texture) is improved. Bass becomes more alive when amped, though not by that much.
Thanks. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD589's too. Those seem highly regarded. I would need an amp obviously too. Not sure on those.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD589's too. Those seem highly regarded. I would need an amp obviously too. Not sure on those.

+1 for the Senn's - but you don't need an amp right from the beginning. Get used to them and listen to them, once you get a nice amp (Schiit Asgard for example) you will appreciate them even more. But they do already sound good with a nice source without an amp.

cheers,
K

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 19
 . I've been considering the Sennheiser Momentums.

momentums are nice, not to forget that they are portable. if you can get them for $200 you can't go wrong. but they're $400.
sine you've been using m50, i assume you want a portable one. keep in mind that an open can like hd 598 can not be used in places like library, dorms(maybe), commutes etc.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 19
What about the PSB M4U 1? They seem to have nearly no negative reviews.

I really really enjoy my M4U 1's, much more than I did the Momentums

From doing a bit of reading, the NAD HP50 is essentially the M4U 1 with a slight bit more bass, though I never listened to the HP50s. I'd say my M4Us remind me a bit of my 600s, albeit closed instead of open

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 19
I would say
-Sony MDR V6
-Audio Technica M40x
-Grado SR60e or SR80e
-AKG K240 Studio or Mk II.

Plus, a good but cheap-ish amp to power some of those, like Fiio E11.

Those are all quite detailed, neutral, warm, natural-sounding, and well-built for their price. I was fortunate enough to hear all those, but not fortunate enough to buy them all.

P.S. I never heard Koss Pro 4AA, but read many positive reviews. Can anyone recommend those... for me?

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 19
So I have been using the Audio Technica M-50's for awhile and I like them a lot. However I am just antsy for something new. I've been considering the Sennheiser Momentums. So any other suggestions would be nice.

As you considered momentus, I'd look at V-Moda XS if you want something portable.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 19
Amazon's recently had the Yamaha Pro 500 (original list $399.) for $216. 
AKG K702's at about $224.
Grado SR225i (in transition to SR225e) is $200.

The AKG's need an amp, the other two don't.
But pretty much all headphones benefit from the use of an amp.

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 19
I'm somewhat in the same boat..

Looking at:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
AKG Q701
ATH-AD900x

I currently have AKG K702s and Sennheiser HD555s and a Schiit Vali/Modi stack.. but looking for another set of headphones for the office. I have an old iBasso D10 I'd probably use with it.

Any suggestions? I'm also tempted by the $300 HE-400 but.. I'm not too sure I want to go to that amount.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 19
I saw a lot of good recommendations here, but honestly a few are 'side grades' rather than upgrades, i.e. Grado SR60, ATH-M40 - different 'flavours' of sound for more or less similar SQ. If you have the chance to audition any of these, I strongly suggest you do so, trust your ears more. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back