i hate this place
Sep 14, 2005 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sonick

500+ Head-Fier
about 4 weeks ago i dropped $100 (quite substantial to a university student) to buy a set of Grado SR80s, i said to myself "thats it, no more upgrades, im satisfied with what i have"; since i had my PCDPs, my portable phones (Eggos) and my home phones (SR80), i was done. i thought i was immune to upgradeitis

skip a month later: today, i find myself perusing the buy and sell sections of this forum and several other forums i visit for an MP3 player, perhaps a 512MB shuffle (although im skeptical if 512MB would satisfy me, since im used to the freedom of MP3CDs and having a thousand songs in my CD case).

dammit, i must resist... thats it, off to my room to enjoy my SR80s and convince myself im satisifed with what i have.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 16
you have the curse upon you. *intones in a deep voice* "congrats on the SR80, now run far far away and never look back!"

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Get a nice set of phones and be able to drive them... a decent source... and then run. There is a point where all improvements yielded are more or less diminishing returns. It doesn't take much money to get there.

Get there and get out
smily_headphones1.gif
Best advice I could give to most readers here. Way too easy to spend a ton to not get too much bang for your buck. It all gets less spectacular with each hundred you keep tossing in the pile.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 16
Have you not ordered your HF-1 yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 16
Yep, this is the place I first heard about the PX100's, Panasonic HJE50's and the X5. Now I own all of them! This place really is trouble. But I'd rather check here to make sure I'm making good purchase decisions rather than be sorry. So it's a love/hate relationship, I think I'll say.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Have you not ordered your HF-1 yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah i was all complacent with my headphone setup and thought I could hold off purchases. Then the HF-1 was announced and $206 escaped my wallet
eek.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 16
If ya got it in you then.. yes, this place will release the beast.
I had a rough road:
Beyer Dynamic: DT880, DT770/80, DT990Pro
Sony: MDR-SA5000, CD-3000
Audio Technica ATH-W100
Grado RS-1
STAX SRS-0303
STAX SRM-313
WOO WA-3
ASL MG-HeadDT
Various C-moys..
With numerous cables/adapter configurations.

rolleyes.gif

Just sickening

yEa!

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 16
i think my next purchase should be an amp for my SR80. then i think that'll hold me off for a bit.

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 16
Seriously, for me what was a simple PX100 purcahse has led me to get HD650s, paduak woodies and an aftermarket cable. I'm also on the Hornet reservation list as well. Furthermore, I'm also resolved to get Beyers (DT770-80's most likely), probably woodied and recabled. I'm also looking into suiutable amps for home. Current leading candidates include the Rockhopper M3 home, the Woo Audio 3, and the Gilmore Lite.

Damn you head fi!!!!
600smile.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
i think my next purchase should be an amp for my SR80. then i think that'll hold me off for a bit.

that's what they all say...including me.

"la la i haven't bought anything in a long time i'm a good boy! i beat the curse! so i'll treat myself and just get a go vibe v3, that's it for this month!"

*Purchase go-vibe*
*Purchase SR60*
*Purchase Stax Lambda Pro*
*Purchase Stax SRM-1/MKII*
*Purchase Lite DAC-AH*
*Purchase Glass Toslink*
*Purchase Grado HF-1*
*Purchase extension to my dog's house*

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Yeah i was all complacent with my headphone setup and thought I could hold off purchases. Then the HF-1 was announced and $206 escaped my wallet
eek.gif

You should really count yourself lucky still...you have nearly 1,500 posts and have only picked up a couple of things so far. You'll probably make Headphoneus Supremus before you even buy an amp!

Personally I'm really quite happy about my setup currently. It really fits in with what I want, which is a good laptop system to listen to my AAC files while I'm surfing the web...but upgraditis strikes in the most unpredictable manner as I nearly spent a dear amount of money yesterday for an HE60/HEV70 setup that I don't even need or knew I wanted.

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
You should really count yourself lucky still...you have nearly 1,500 posts and have only picked up a couple of things so far. You'll probably make Headphoneus Supremus before you even buy an amp!

Personally I'm really quite happy about my setup currently. It really fits in with what I want, which is a good laptop system to listen to my AAC files while I'm surfing the web...but upgraditis strikes in the most unpredictable manner as I nearly spent a dear amount of money yesterday for an HE60/HEV70 setup that I don't even need or knew I wanted.

OOO that's a major upgrade!!!
eek.gif
I was wondering why you sold off alot of your gear...this explains it
cool.gif

I have a cmoy so far just to tide me over, just anxiously waiting for the time when $300 goes into RSA's bank account
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back