I hate my HD650 upgrade cable.
Mar 15, 2006 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
I didn't know how bad my source was until now. it's obvious that this thing is giving me alot more information.... blue dragon! i'm starting to find out exactly how bad some musicians really are.... ho well. review: it sounds like the HD650 but gives you more information and is not as boomy, more neutral, but everything i like from HD650 is still there..... it's good so far... i'll keep you all updated.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 26
Yep, the Blue Dragon is a fantastic cable. It was my fav. cable until I went balanced and went to the Equinox. Though, I'm still curious to hear a Balanced Blue Dragon. I would actually have bought that instead of the Equinox, however at the time Drew was out of stock, and they were moving office as well.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 26
update: the cymbols are amazing on this one, and the vocals are clearer, a bit of the treble drop in the senns has been erased, not much though. one thing that i liked about the equinox, the clear and upfront high midrange, isn't there, but it seems to have been moved to the treble....ummm....

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 26
after testing this with Beethoven's 9th several things came out. first of all, my dac does have soundstaging! sorta, not exactly a high end one, but there is much more depth to the music, the flat sounding 9th recording i have no longer sounds that way
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
yeap!

I vote we walk around campus with our blue dragon'd hd650's one day with pride!

if only i had a portable amp.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 26
my spankin' new ksc-75 with crappy cable and vol control in the way is better than "The Burninator" in only one way - it's more forgiving of completely crappily ripped tunes. Congrats on getting a more resolving cable upgrade! and sorry for your wallet as you go buy more source material and even a new source!

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 26
neh, it aint the CDs, these things held up against the orpheus at the SF meet. but, i still have a good portion of it at 320kps so that might just be one of the problems.... the other is just that it's a cheap soundcard with 4 year old technology.... but it does sound good. on the source, i only have one shot at it, so either the Zhaolu or the baby DO2 will win... i'll wait for impressions on them.
update: basically more info, the bass seems a bit more controlled but still very HD650. i'll listen again this afternoon.

Mar 16, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose the Blue Dragon over the Silver Dragon or the Black Dragon?

The silver dragon is made out of silver, and sounds like it (not a compliment) and the black dragon no longer is made for sennheiser headphones.
edit: despite what people say, and what i've been warned against, this really has been the best 140 dollars i've spent on audio...it's really brought the HD650s into a different level that clearly takes them above every other headphone i have, not just marginally better.
update: the amount of outside the music sound (like audience/conductor turning the pages) has really picked up. and the balence between the different freqency ranges is greatly improved.
update: my first complaint. the dynamics arn't as cool, the boomingness of the thing is rather gone and replaced by what an orchestra really sounds like
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 26
Hi TheSloth and granodemostasa,

Fancy meeting you guys here
evil_smiley.gif

Feedback on BD V2 and balanced cables in general has been scarce, so headfiers benefit from your comments.

On my rig (with less than 24 hours) the 650/BD-V2/balanced has a smooth rather polite sound. Something you could easily listen to for many hours and not be fatigued. But they also lack some of the detail and "there" I know exists in my favorite disks.

While I intend to give them much more time, I can't help but wonder if a silver cable or coughing up the extra $ for Equinox isn't something I should consider???
confused.gif

Please keep your impressions coming. Your comments are appreciated!!! Thanks.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 26
DP. Sorry.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 26
I've listened to the equinox. i'm pretty sure that the blue dragon has more resolution than it. there is one problem i'm hearing and that has to do with the treble, simply put the enormous drop normally found on sennheisers is no longer there, the trumpets sound loud and clear at the top.... at times, considering my source, this translates into harshness, even brightness for a second or two. it's still dark, like HD650 dark but the roll off has half disappeared (still somewhat there though).
the equinox is a bit clear, more upfront when it comes to the higher mid-midrange, which was a trait i liked. the blue dragon on the other hand has alot more dept, not that the soundstage is further away but that it is deeper.
edit: i'm sure that the silver ones probably are more detailed; my personal problem with them is that they really mess up the sound of violas and violins... in fact all strings (not guitar) dont' sound quite right on those cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back