I hate my Denon D7000s - replacement advice?
May 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

speecher

Head-Fier
I love my ibasso DX90 DAP with my Shure se846. This is my ideal sound. I also have a pair of Denon D7000 headphones, but i find that with either the DX90 or with my adcom/marantz home theater system, the midbass is just overwhelming. Totally unpleasant on the DX90 - just too thick and heavy. 

With my Grado 225i, the sound is much cleaner and "fun", and i like it, but i want something that is richer - like the Denons, but with a clean, faster bass and rhythm.

Question is: what open or closed headphone has the midrange sweetness of the D7000 and the benefits of the grados? Or - worded another way - a pair of headphones that sound like the Shure se846.

Thanks

May 12, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 4

moriez

Headphoneus Supremus
I follow what you're saying about the D7000. Overbearing bass tones mudding up the scene to my ears too. No idea what the SE846 sounds like but as a suggestion only one headphone comes to mind: FAD Pandora VI. Still a long way from the Grado sound but think a ''facelifted'' (tighter, cleaner, smoother and better balanced) version of the Denon. You definitely want to audition it if you have the chance because compared, the FAD's comfort is a big difference for the worse. Heavier, clumsier and after a time of wearing outright painful.

May 12, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 4

speecher

Head-Fier
Thanks for much for the reply. The FAD Pandora VI certainly look nice enough, but of course comfort is important also.
I have to find a place that lets me listen to different headphones with the DX90. For example, B&H has headphones hooked up to their own system behind a wall - no one there knows whats driving the headphone station.
That's how I got sucked into the D7000. I heard them at B&H and thought they sounded great, but they don't mate well with any of the stuff I own.

Users who are viewing this thread