I got some vinyl, but no turn table. Where to start & what to buy...
Jan 31, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
[...] but there is no PCM brickwall filter in the 15-20khz region of the recording, as there is with most digital recording technology so if any of the information beyond those frequencies is important to the music whether psychoacoustically or otherwise it won't exist on the digital recording.

Then why do a lot of old (say pre-1970-ish) records sound like they only have frequencies up to 10khz (think Motown)? I used to attribute it to vinyl...

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
Then why do a lot of old (say pre-1970-ish) records sound like they only have frequencies up to 10khz (think Motown)? I used to attribute it to vinyl...

If those old records were played on poor systems, then 1) they would not be able to reproduce that part of the band 2) the poorly setup systems would wreck the record and highs are often the first to go.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone

Motown records would have been mastered on analogue reel to reel and the same masters would be used obviously for CD re-issues so whatever is on the CD will be on the vinyl in terms of frequency range. A Revox reel to reel Tape machine running at 15 or 30IPs for example can have a frequency range of upto 45khz.

Maybe what you are thinking of is the fact that Motown stuff is all mastered very loud, essentially compressed by overdriving the desk, which is something incidentally that you can't do today with digital desks, because it was mastered to sound louder on a jukebox than all the other records.

This is a legendary production style which still exists today in Detroit and is why producers from all over the world go to The National Sound Corporation.
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=1376

Users who are viewing this thread

Back