I Got Screwed BY USPS. What Can I Do?
May 23, 2006 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

headchange4u

500+ Head-Fier
I ordered a Osprey Aether 70 hiking pack from Ebay back on May 3. The guy I ordered it from shipped it on the 3rd of May and the tracking number shows that it Left the Jacksonville, Fl mail facilty on May 4th. It was supposed to be delivered on May 8. I still have not seen my package.

I have filled out a lost mail form and the guy that shipped it to me has done the same thing at the post office he shipped it from. He said the label was covered in packing tape and he sees no way in which the label could have came off during transit without destroying the box. I have called USPS three times and they could not tell me a thing.

The package, unfortunaly, was not insured (the seller did not offer insurance and I forgot to ask) so the lady I talked to on the phone said that there was no way I would get any kind of refund from them with insurance. So basically it looks like I am out 1 backpack and $200.

I am starting to give up hope of ever getting the package. I read on the internet that the USPS has a lost mail warehouse somewhere and that it can be searched for my item via a database. That is going to be my next move.

I would like to know what I can do to make life for the USPS a living Hell for losing my package. I plan on filing a complaint with Consumer Affairs, but I really don't think that will do much.

What other options do I have to try to get my package or at least get my money back?

May 23, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 32
For getting your money you'd have to talk to the seller about that the USPS certainly won't give you anything for an uninsured package. But to get the package, your best bet is to keep calling the USPS you might eventually get someone that can be of some help.

May 23, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
For getting your money you'd have to talk to the seller about that the USPS certainly won't give you anything for an uninsured package. But to get the package, your best bet is to keep calling the USPS you might eventually get someone that can be of some help.

I really don't think the seller should be responsible for thew mistake of USPS. I don't think he will give me my money back, either. I don't think I would if the roles were reversed. I paid him his money and he shipped it the same day(He told me that he had also shipped other packages the same day and they all arrived fine). He did his part. I have a tracking number that proves the package was last in the hands of the United States Postal Service.

May 23, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 32
Well, as a seller I've had to refund money once for a package lost thru USPS and uninsured. Another time the package was lost but the buyer didn't care to bother with the claims. Both times they were relatively low-ticket items anyway, but it stopped me using USPS again. I always ask for UPS or Fedex shipment as a buyer, and always use UPS as a seller.

If your seller really wants you happy, he'd offer you the refund (even though he would then be out $200 and 1 backpack) in hopes of making you happy. But if it's not the kind of thing you would repeat-buy (say for other family members, whatever) he may not care whether you're happy or not.

Good luck.

May 23, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 32
If I were the seller, I would refund the money, because I feel it is easier to be out a backpack rather than $200, but that is just me.

I bought some speakers on this site from another member and had them shipped regular USPS from California to AZ. A month went by and I did not have my package. I emailed the seller and kept him updated. Finally, he refunded my money back and we assumed the package was lost. 3 weeks later, the speakers arrived and I paid the seller back for them. Your backpack could still turn up.

May 23, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 32
Even though it isn't the seller's fault, were I in the same position, I would refund the $200 and take the loss myself. I personally think it's the seller's responsiblity upon selling an item to ensure it's proper delivery to the buyer. If that means eating a few extra dollars for shipping insurance, so be it. If you cut costs, knowing the unreliablilty of many delivery services, the seller should assume responsibility.

May 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 32
When I sell something, I insure it. The only exception would be if the buyer specifically does not want insurance, and agrees in advance that I will not be liable if the carrier loses the package or runs over it with a truck. My responsibility as a seller ends when the buyer has the item in his/her possession in the condition described in my ad.

IMO the seller owes you a refund or replacement, unless you specifically declined insurance. It's the seller's job to get the item to you. If the seller does not give you a refund or replacement, you have recourse if you paid by Paypal or credit card. Simply file a claim for non-delivery. Since the seller cannot provide proof of delivery (and in fact the tracking number shows non-delivery) the amount will be refunded to your Paypal account or credit card. If you used a credit card via Paypal, file with Paypal and wait for their decision before filing a credit card dispute.

The seller's error was not losing the package. The error was shipping the package without insurance. When a seller does that (without the buyer's knowledge and consent), the seller is to all intents and purposes self-insuring the package. The seller's responsibility ends when you have the item. Not before.

If the package does mysteriously reappear, and USPS can do that sometimes, you'd simply repay any refund you receive.

May 23, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 32
Same thing happened to me in September. Order an Aladdin giftset from this guy on another forum, the tracking said it arrived at my house on september 8, but I never saw it... I'm guessing it was stolen mail...

Your mail might have gotten stolen... Although it is a federal offense, people still do it...

May 23, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 32
You should follow Hirsch's advice and request for a refund. I believe as a buyer in e-bay and paid by Paypal, you are entitle to recieve a refund. As long as the tracking states that the item is "non-delivery", Paypal will refund you money as long as you filed the claim within 30 days.

I once had to refund the buyer b/c the SR-125 got lost in the e-mail. The buyer was not being helpful and didn't even help me filing for the lost mail so Paypal ordered me to refund him the money. I ended up have to refund the seller back the money, b/c I didn't not have the tracking on the package. Luckily, I insured the package for 100 dollars and was able to file the claim with the post office and evenfually got 100 dollars back.

May 23, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 32
The seller has been nice so far, but he has hinted that a refund will not be forthcoming. I should have asked for insurance for an item this expensive, but I totally forgot to ask him when I paid for it. He did not offer insurance as an option when paying. In true Ebay style I was charged $15 for shipping a 4 pound pack and it was sent Parcel Post (5-9 days transit time), the cheapest method offered.

I used PayPal to pay for the package, money taken directly from my bank account, so it is nice to know that I may have some recourse in getting my money back through them.

Knowing my luck I will never see the money or the pack.

I would still like to find some way to make USPS be the one to suffer for this. I have been aching to tear somebody’s head off over this.

This whole fiasco is really been getting to me, making me depressed a little bit. I missed a backpacking trip on my birthday because the pack was not delivered. I had planned on doing some extended section hikes of the Appalachian Trail, but not having this pack is what's holding me back. Oh yeah, the original pack was a birthday gift (that's another kick in the nuts about this whole thing).

I decided to check online stores for availability of this pack and everyone was sold out (see I told you I had bad luck). This is one of the most popular packs out there, come to find out. I was told that there would be no more available until August, which would be a big chunk out of the hiking season, plus I won't have pack for my camping trip to Edisto Beach in June. I FINALLY managed to find one in my size AND in the color I wanted at Oregon Mountain Community so I do have a pack one the way (possibly 2). I had to pay 239.00 for the one I just ordered, but no tax and free shipping.

If I get them both I will sell one because they are both going to be brand new (the one from Ebay had never been worn) and very popular.

So how should I handle Ebay feedback for this seller if I don't get the pack? Negative or neutral with details saying it was lost in transit?

May 23, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u

So how should I handle Ebay feedback for this seller if I don't get the pack? Negative or neutral with details saying it was lost in transit?

The thing is assuming what he sent was the pack, then he did everything right.
So, it would seem a bit hard to me to justify negative feedback.

May 23, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
I ordered a Osprey Aether 70 hiking pack from Ebay back on May 3. The guy I ordered it from shipped it on the 3rd of May and the tracking number shows that it Left the Jacksonville, Fl mail facilty on May 4th. It was supposed to be delivered on May 8. I still have not seen my package.

I have filled out a lost mail form and the guy that shipped it to me has done the same thing at the post office he shipped it from. He said the label was covered in packing tape and he sees no way in which the label could have came off during transit without destroying the box. I have called USPS three times and they could not tell me a thing.

The package, unfortunaly, was not insured (the seller did not offer insurance and I forgot to ask) so the lady I talked to on the phone said that there was no way I would get any kind of refund from them with insurance. So basically it looks like I am out 1 backpack and $200.

I am starting to give up hope of ever getting the package. I read on the internet that the USPS has a lost mail warehouse somewhere and that it can be searched for my item via a database. That is going to be my next move.

I would like to know what I can do to make life for the USPS a living Hell for losing my package. I plan on filing a complaint with Consumer Affairs, but I really don't think that will do much.

What other options do I have to try to get my package or at least get my money back?

Wow, that really sucks, Osprey makes really nice packs, I have their Crescent 110 and their Aether 60. You can file a claim with Paypal no? Claiming the package never arrived.

Well, in a way you lucked out, I have the Mountainsmith Auspex and Specter as well and I prefer them over the Crescent 110 for loads under 60 pounds, since they are much more manueaverable and imo more comfortable with lighter loads.

May 23, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889

Well, in a way you lucked out, I have the Mountiansmith Auspex and Specter as well and I prefer them over the Crescent 110 for loads under 60 pounds, since they are much more manueaverable and imo more comfortable with lighter loads.

I tried numerous packs when I went looking for a larger pack. I tried on an Opsrey Aether at Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC and fell in love. This pack is the most comfortable pack I have ever tried on. The one I am getting (hopefully soon) has the heat mouldable hip belt and harness that form to your body, so the comfort factor is only going to increase once I have it moulded.

May 23, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 32
I did not take the time to read all the comments here,but if you paid for the item using paypal then contact them about this.Do a resolution against the guy you purchased it from.

If it was not insured using the USPS then there is nothing you can do about them.That is a lost cause.I have been this route way too many times.

goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back