I got my DVD-963SA today...
May 6, 2003 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OneMalt

500+ Head-Fier
...and I'm really loving it with my RS-1s!

I started out with Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing (smooth, really smooth) and then went to the remastered version of Roxy Music's Avalon. The detail was incredible. Next, a little Changes from David Bowie and then on to some Forty Licks. I've always really gotten into the piano in Sympathy For The Devil and it never sounded better than tonight. I just finished Santana's Moonflower and I just sat back and said "WOW"! I could feel Carlos coaxing the notes out of his guitar.

I've got to admit that so far, I prefer having the upsampling off. It does "fatten" up the sound but to the sacrifice of some detail I think. Maybe my opinion will change once I hook it up to my component system and listen through speakers. This is really the first time I've gone directly from a decent source right into a HP amp (without anything in between). I hope when I hook it up to my receiver (& TV) it doesn't lose any of it's magic.

I realize that right now I'm in the middle of "New Toy Euphoria" but I couldn't be happier!

May 6, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 8
Glad you are enjoying your new addition. what I have found with the upsampling is that I turn it ono or off based on the CD. I think (without any facts other than listening to my Cd's) that upsampling works best on really well recorded pieces. If the CD there are flaws I have found that upsampling exacerbates it.

May 6, 2003 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Congrats on your purchase! I for one preferred to leave 192 kHz upsampling on all the time (though I can reproduce your experiences) – now with my external DAC2 I even have no choice...

peacesign.gif

May 6, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Congrats...I love mine too. I leave the upsampling on all the time. I am sure there are CDs in my collection that would sound better with it off...but once I settle into that lush sound..I am just too plain relaxed to reach for that remote
smily_headphones1.gif

Discovering Head-Fi and RE-discovering my love of music has proved to be the best sedative on earth.
smily_headphones1.gif

John

May 8, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 8
I may be slightly nuts but I just ordered another one. One to be integrated with my Hi-Fi/TV system and one for a dedicated headphone system.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Have you got to watch any dvd's on it yet? If you think the sound is good wait until you see how it plays movies!

May 9, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Not yet. The one I have so far has been sitting on the coffee table hooked up to a Cosmic. I'll rig it to the TV this weekend. (Think 500 lb. shelves to be moved. Friends will be summoned and much beer will be consumed.)

May 11, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Have you got to watch any dvd's on it yet? If you think the sound is good wait until you see how it plays movies!

You're right...the video is beautiful. My TV doesn't have component video connections so I'm using an S-video cable but I'm still blown away by the picture quality (and the sound through my speakers is just as impressive as through my RS-1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back