I get the "Stupid Head-Fier of the Day" award!
Jun 10, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Or maybe the week. No, the month. Eh, perhaps even...the year
frown.gif

I probably shouldn't share this with y'all, but...

It's in the nineties today, here on the east coast (in NYC, anyway). I need an air conditioner in a bad way (you can probably already see where this is going), so I trek off to my local Best Buy to pickup a small Frigidaire A/C unit on sale for $89.99 this week.

As I am checking out, the cashier asks about a repair warranty for an additional $49. Of course, I balk. I even make a joke, asking if the extended warranty covers if the air conditioner falls out my window. She smiles and says no, as we both laugh.

I pays my money, and put the unit over my shoulder to carry home. Now this BB is two subway stops away from my house, so I have to carry the unit from the store to the subway, and then from my subway stop to my apartment building. Not really long distances, but when you are carrying 40lbs, in 90-degree heat, it starts to feel like a really long way.

Anyway, I get the unit home, unpack it, and proceed to install it. It's all but done, and almost ready to plug in when I decide to make a small adjustment. I have to open the window again to do so, and this is when I pull a "Kramer", and the A/C unit goes plummeting down three stories to its untimely death. I tried to grab the power cord, but just as in "Seinfeld", life imitates art and the cord does not hold - SPLATT!!!!

Thank goodness my window is not above a public walkway. No one as in any danger getting hurt, except for my ego. I guess I'll call up BB for a delivery tomorrow
rolleyes.gif

Please, someone tell me this has happened to them at some point or another?

biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 47
Sorry Jimmy,
I got a good laugh out of that, I could picture the look on your face when that happened.Aw Sh**T.
On the bright side it could have been a more expensive unit.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 47
This actually happened to me once! However, it wasn't a brand new unit...

I was actually taking out a broken AC unit and trying to install the new one with my roommate, and we were in my room (which is on the third floor of our townhouse). Well, we were having a hard time getting the window open, it must have been stuck to the old AC unit from the 2 years of weathering (I guess
confused.gif
). But anyways, I decide I'm gonna rip open the window, while he holds on. Well, he didn't really hold on when I said so, and it fell right into the parking lot below
tongue.gif

Too bad to hear about your story, seems like it didn't have a semi-happy ending like mine.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Or maybe the week. No, the month. Eh, perhaps even...the year
frown.gif

I probably shouldn't share this with y'all, but...

It's in the nineties today, here on the east coast (in NYC, anyway). I need an air conditioner in a bad way (you can probably already see where this is going), so I trek off to my local Best Buy to pickup a small Frigidaire A/C unit on sale for $89.99 this week.

As I am checking out, the cashier asks about a repair warranty for an additional $49. Of course, I balk. I even make a joke, asking if the extended warranty covers if the air conditioner falls out my window. She smiles and says no, as we both laugh.

I pays my money, and put the unit over my shoulder to carry home. Now this BB is two subway stops away from my house, so I have to carry the unit from the store to the subway, and then from my subway stop to my apartment building. Not really long distances, but when you are carrying 40lbs, in 90-degree heat, it starts to feel like a really long way.

Anyway, I get the unit home, unpack it, and proceed to install it. It's all but done, and almost ready to plug in when I decide to make a small adjustment. I have to open the window again to do so, and this is when I pull a "Kramer", and the A/C unit goes plummeting down three stories to its untimely death. I tried to grab the power cord, but just as in "Seinfeld", life imitates art and the cord does not hold - SPLATT!!!!

Thank goodness my window is not above a public walkway. No one as in any danger getting hurt, except for my ego. I guess I'll call up BB for a delivery tomorrow
rolleyes.gif

Please, someone tell me this has happened to them at some point or another?

biggrin.gif

HAHAHA

"Drops his AC out of a window, YET STILL COOL"
; )

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 47
Aww man - that sucks hard
mad.gif
At least, as you pointed out, you're only $90 down and you haven't got someones death/a law suit on your hands. Small consolation i know but...

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 47
i had the fear of that but it never actually happened. in-the-window a/c always struck me as damn flimsy support to stop a honkin heavy piece of metal from falling out. plus, those crappy plastic extending shades on each side don't keep anything out - noise, bugs, rain, you name it. central a/c is the best invention since...central heating?

glad no one got hurt, including you jimmy - imagine if that power cord held, that a/c could have yanked your arm and dislocated your shoulder!

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 47
Really sorry to hear of your loss.

You’ve earned a nice, cool relaxing night in an air conditioned apartment with a tall cold one to quench your thirst.

I lived in New Jersey- It’s the kinda hot sticky heat (90 deg \ 90 % humidity) where you actually sweat while taking a shower.

I hope they deliver the new one early!!

Mitch

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 47
I feel your pain, unfortunately too well since I'm back in the City area and this heat and humidity sucks for a California man... However, bright side, I now remember why I moved to the left coast...

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 47
don't worry J,

i've done way dumber stuff then that. It happens to the best of us. Come on though, gotta laugh at silly things like this. You got a great story to tell people now ; )

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 47
I heard a good A/C story from the guys at work.

Seems the 'handyman' around the office was installing / repairing a window air conditioner in the office.

It somehow slipped, and fell (five stories) - and onto the CEO's new car parked below.

The handiman continued to work for the company for some time, but his 'stock' went down a bit.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 47
hahahaha. sorry man. i always think my AC will fall out, but it neveer did so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back