I found an Orpheus, but it's broken!
Nov 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

juzmister

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,
I found an orpheus at one of my local hifi stores, but both the amp and phones seem to be caput! The shop keeper would like 10k for the set (about 9usd)...Do you guys have any clues as to how much Senn would charge for a complete overhaul?

Thanks a million!

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 40
9K buys you a working one. Sennheiser will not charge a small amount for any repairs.

Spend the money on a working set. Don't even enter negotiations with someone so deluded as to want that amount for the broken lot.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9k for a BROKEN Orpheus? I thought 'like new' orpheus's cost MUCH less than that nowadays?

I think he means HE90/HEV90 combo. So, thats low for a nice set (I saw one go for 11K a couple weeks ago), but a nonfunctioning set? That's bold.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 40
Common guys! It's just 9 bucks! Definitely a steal
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shop keeper would like 10k for the set (about 9usd)...

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't be $9.00. It must be a mistype.

Are you Insane!! Who would be paying more than $9.00 for a pair of HPs?? Even if it is with amp!!!

biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he means HE90/HEV90 combo. So, thats low for a nice set (I saw one go for 11K a couple weeks ago), but a nonfunctioning set? That's bold.

a few weeks ago? could you give a link?

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 40
That's a little too much if both the amp and the cans have issues. Sennheiser has the parts and can bring it back to perfect but you will probably have shipping to and from Germany, parts, and labor.

For comparison, I full rebuild on an HE60 (Baby-O) is now about $1,000 and that is only for the cans. I would expect an HE-90 rebuild to be $2K and the HEV70 repair to be $1K depending on what they decide to charge for labor. So guessing at $3K plus shipping for that size and weight ($600+ round trip), and the broken rig at $9K, I would pass.

I suppose it is all a gamble as it could be the cable and tubes but unless you have the expertise to check, it out, you are taking a risk. Personally, would want to be in it for $7K.
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 40
Sounds like a very expensive paperweight. Well, if you can't fix it, you can always encase it glass and put it on display...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back