I found a nest of baby squirrels in our front yard
Mar 23, 2007 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

daggerlee

500+ Head-Fier
p1000963bh5.jpg

Kinda cute, too bad they grow up to be such pests.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 96
I love squirrels. They are cool. Plus they are always paranoid (I watched one for like an hour once, it would do a couple hops, stop and look around for like 2 minutes, then do a couple more hops). Good thing they are rats. I found a nest of baby rats in my garage once, had to throw them in a fire (I know it sounds cruel, but they are rats.. they grow up and come back to the garage and I have an infestation).

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love squirrels. They are cool. Plus they are always paranoid (I watched one for like an hour once, it would do a couple hops, stop and look around for like 2 minutes, then do a couple more hops). Good thing they are rats. I found a nest of baby rats in my garage once, had to throw them in a fire (I know it sounds cruel, but they are rats.. they grow up and come back to the garage and I have an infestation).

It not only sounds cruel it IS cruel.

Too bad they weren't old enough to run back into your house and catch it on fire. Happened once to a man that threw a mouse onto a burning pile of leaves.

-Ed

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 96
So instead you want me to raise the rats like a dog or something? Sorry but where I live rats dont do any good to this world, whats the sense in keeping them alive. They are just pests. How is it any more cruel than setting up mouse traps? Sometimes the mice dont die, and instead have to suffer a painful, slow death.

Either that or I could have stepped on them. Either way they had to die.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 96
Come on guys, let's focus on the baby squirrels and not discuss killing animals. Keep this thread happy and upbeat.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen some young squirrels running around my neighborhood recently. They are quite adorable and run really fast! My puppy goes crazy when he sees any running around and goes off chasing after them. Unfortunately for him, the leash is only 15 feet long. :p

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 96
cute. make sure not to be too invasive though, or the mother and father will lay the smackdown on you. never happened to me before, but to my dog who handled it like a champ.

Quote:

So instead you want me to raise the rats like a dog or something? Sorry but where I live rats dont do any good to this world, whats the sense in keeping them alive. They are just pests. How is it any more cruel than setting up mouse traps? Sometimes the mice dont die, and instead have to suffer a painful, slow death.

i agree, but i don't agree with lighting them on fire. that is cruel, and this is coming from a guy who hunts deer and pretty much has no ethics when it comes to how an animal ends up on his plate. the dirty work must be done somehow, but not in a fire that wasn't powerful enough to kill them instantly. i have killed a rat once. it was huge and trying to get in the house, i broke its neck with a pipe (figured the bat would be too wide to kill it). i think i handled that situation better than throwing a bunch of helpless rats in a fire... oh screw it i'm probably a hypocrite

in short, pests have to be killed somehow. just look for the most humane way to do it... have you ever been burnt before? i don't think being burned alive would feel any better than having your neck snapped by a mouse trap.

to end this post on a good note, i repented for a dead hamster and an almost-dead baby bird a year ago. found a poor little robin's nest that had been abandoned by its mother. i waited a day to see if the parents would come, and one of them had died. luckily i was able to salvage one of the babies and keep him alive. nursed it back to health and now he's flying fine! or at least i hope so since i moved away from Mr. Pecker (that's my name for him).

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 96
Quote:

I don't even have to debate with you. You post plenty of ignorance to testify to your idiocy and cruelty.

-Ed

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 96
Hmm so how can I tell the difference between baby squirrels and baby rats? These were found outside, with a bunch of grey down around them...so I'm hoping/guessing they are baby squirrels..

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm so how can I tell the difference between baby squirrels and baby rats? These were found outside, with a bunch of grey down around them...so I'm hoping/guessing they are baby squirrels..

Baby mice are really pink.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What color are they after you tossed them into the fire?

-Ed

You know what buddy. I dont care that you are headphonus supremus. If you have such a big problem with me, why dont you go cry to your admin buddies. Im sick of talking to you. You personally insult me ever since I stated in the Daschound thread that I like big dogs and hate little dogs. And just because you own a little dog suddenly you felt like I was personally attacking you? Get over yourself buddy, if you have anymore problems with me just spam my inbox or something....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back