I Forgot how BAD 'normal' phones are...
Oct 23, 2004 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jjcapurro

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
So I was down in Sacramento a week or so ago to hit up a couple audio stores that carry stuff I can't get in town, and I brought my new iPod along. Well, life was great in the car running my car stereo through the line out of my iPod charger cable, but when I arrive in Sac I realize I have forgotten my Shure E3's at home. Damn. HOWEVER! I also remember that I have a pair of cheap ***** Sony earbuds that cost me like $12 a few years ago before I found head-fi. So I dig them out of the glovebox, and inside I go...

...I think I got about 15 seconds into Aimee Man's 'Humpty Dumpty' before ripping the buds out, winding them back into their little plastic hockey-puck style case, and calmly tossing them into the first garbage recepticle I came across. Truly an eye opening experience, and a solid reminder as to why I utterly waste so much time reading posts this site...

My friends tell me I have a problem and that I should seek help... I tell them groups are for quitters and procede to notch up the volume on my amp. Silly people. It's a real shame that most people die without ever experiencing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon through a pair of Grados, or watching the remastered DVD of Metropolis on MUTE with a reel-to-reel recording of the original Organ score playing over it on a Pass Labs & Klipschhorn system. Or watching Saving Private Ryan on a Krell/B&W/SVS HT system and having the next door neighbors knocking on the door to ask you to turn the bass down a bit because it's shaking their dishes... Or Or Or... ...AHHH life's little pleasures when you are an audiophile.

Cheers!
Jeremy

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 12
Amen.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Preach it, brother!
biggrin.gif
I had the same experience when I forget my E3's at home and was stuck with the Senn MX300's I keep in my desk at work for emergencies. Misery all the day through, and even worse on the commute home -- I'd forgotten just how much DC Metro noise the E3's block out, and cranking up the volume to compensate didn't make the MX300's sound any better. Now I'm extra careful to pat myself down before I go out the door in the morning and make sure I've got all my gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 12
I would have just taken them back to the store
lambda.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 12
if they end up in the trash can, that's a bad deal in my book
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Seemes like ages ago that I was involved in high-end audio, but there is a lesson that I learned by accident.

My new amp died after only three weeks. Fortunately I had not sold the old one yet. So I swapped it back into the system while the new one was repaird.

To really appriciate if a new piece of equipment in your system has made a difference: Keep the old piece that you replaced, don't trade or sell it right away. Wait two or three weeks, then(after becoming thoroughly accustomed to the new piece) plug it back into the system for a listen.

Sometimes it can be difficult to fully appriciate the improvement of an upgraded componant. But I promise, if the new piece provided any improvement, it will be immidiately apparent when you revert to the old unit.

The down-side to this exercise(why does there always have to be a down-side?), if you don't hear any degradation in sound quality when the old piece is put back, then you've wasted your money on the new item.

Have fun

Ken

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 12
Boy did this thread hit home today. Walked out of the house and realised my ER-4Ps weren't in the bag. Had my crappy Koss plug ones with the Ety silicone tips and I was miserable. Fortunately when I got home the 4Ps were on the floor right by the couch.

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
It's a real shame that most people die without ever experiencing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon through a pair of Grados.

Thank-you. Before this day is over, I will listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon through a pair of Grados.

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
winding them back into their little plastic hockey-puck style case, and calmly tossing them into the first garbage recepticle I came across.

You did the right thing. Without disposing of them properly, someone might accidentally use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back