i finally found time to sort through all my vinyl .... anyone else catalog their stuff?
Mar 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kenny6007

100+ Head-Fier
after moving all my vinyl's been sitting in boxes in the garage ..... they're still sitting in the garage but the last 2 days i've finally found some time to sort through them and catalog them ...... all i have to say is what a tedious task
frown.gif
..... but at least after this is all said and done i can easily find whatever vinyl i'm looking for by looking through my spreadsheet and it'll also help when i finally establish a more permanent place of residence.

who else has a spreadsheet or real organized method of keeping their vinyl/CDs?

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 16
I don't have nearly enough to justify creating a catalog for everything.

I do, however, maintain a catalog for my XTC collection so that I can keep track of my goal of obtaining all the original Virgin UK pressings. It's a slow process but every so often I add a record or two to the spreadsheet.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 16
More importantly then knowing where to "GRAB" your favorite Lp, is to make sure you write down eachARTIST, title, and record label and value$$ to replace each recording....I Use a spread sheet and print copies off my PC every so often.....I also use one column to mention if the Lp is new/sealed and the vinyl thickness (200grm.) etc...This list will take you a while, but will be priceless if something happens to your Vinyl LPs when you hand the list over to your Insurance Co., trust me!

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 16
Well done!
With two days of work it seems like you have quite a substantial collection.

I only have a couple hundred CD's and 5-6 LP's, but no organized system or a spreadsheet.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More importantly then knowing where to "GRAB" your favorite Lp, is to make sure you write down eachARTIST, title, and record label and value$$ to replace each recording....I Use a spread sheet and print copies off my PC every so often.....I also use one column to mention if the Lp is new/sealed and the vinyl thickness (200grm.) etc...This list will take you a while, but will be priceless if something happens to your Vinyl LPs when you hand the list over to your Insurance Co., trust me!

i have a list but i have no clue how much it's worth or what i paid, i guess i don't really keep track of the cost of an LP. i guess i should start checking out to see how much i would value them as a group for insurance.

i have one column for ..... label, catalog number, composer, titles on LP, conductor, orchestra, featured preformer (soloist), and which box it's in

i've gone through more than half so far

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 16
i've been starting to add everything i own to my collection on discogs

i'm nowhere near done

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 16
I keep all my albums in group and alphabetical order. I also keep my Rock and Jazz collection separate. I keep my CD's organized as well

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been starting to add everything i own to my collection on discogs

i'm nowhere near done

i just signed up with discogs but i can't seem to add my records

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 16
The way may be a little extreme....

I catalog my CD/SACD collection using a photo-sharing site....flickr.com. I scan or take a photo, sometimes both, of a CD/SACD and add the relevant information for it. I can add the track listing, running time of each track, condition, plus any remarks for each CD/SACD, but it will take a lot of time. For now, what I've done is already enough. The whole "database" is a "work in progress", but it provide me with enough information when I'm on the hunt for a specific album or, god forbid, a photographic proof that I indeed had such a collection. The whole thing is available to view online and also can be printed out.

Here's a sample....some of my SACDs.

You can click around on the above link and see various aspects of my collection. You can add, I believe, up to 300 "tags" to distinguish each subject of the picture.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Trying to catalog my photos. Yes. Being unable to scan them, and unable to afford such a service, I am currently in the process of photographing these photos and putting the digital copies on an external HDD. No idea how much time (and batteries) I'd have to go through.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny6007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just signed up with discogs but i can't seem to add my records

could you be a little more specific about the problem?

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you be a little more specific about the problem?

i actually found the form needed to add a disc/record however it seems to be real picky on the information you need to provide and with classical i'm finding it to be fairly difficult as i would have to sort it not by just classical but by era as well and that will literally take forever to look each up that i won't know right off the top of my head to remain accurate.

currently my spreadsheet for classical looks like this:

label, catalog number, notes (shaded dog, tulip, gatefold....), LP title/selections, conductor, orchestra/symphony, featured performer(s), box location

i currently need to put box location because they're still in boxes but each box is organized in order of label and catalog number. using this system i've been able to grab whichever vinyl i'm looking for by searching the spreadsheet.

once i get the space to actually put the vinyls through the bookshelf i'll most likely be cleaning and double checking all the sleeves and whatnot. i have a couple more boxes to sort through and after the sorting is all done i'll most likely start photographing the covers and possibily use something like flickr or photobucket and uploading the photos.

since i have a fairly good digital catalog of other hobbies i have i might just go as far as starting my own website just to catalog everything just in case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back