I Finally Found the Jecklin Float IIs
Nov 9, 2002 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
Although they look, er, strange, I owned and used extensively the Jecklin Float Model II headphones about 10 or so years ago. I found them extremely comfortable and spacious. I could wear them for hours without fatigue.

About seven or so years ago the foam padding that lines the phones wore out, so I decided to get rid of them. The memory of my time with the Jecklins has always stayed with me, though, and since then I've looked around for a replacement. However, the Floats were discontinued a while back and I was unable to find a used pair (I'd been looking on ebay almost daily).

Until last week. I finally found a used pair on Audiogon. I received them in the mail today (in perfect shape, no less), and have been using them for the past couple of hours. Since I used them so long ago, I had no real memories of how they sounded. But over the past two hours, I have been pleasantly surprised. Except for a slightly recessed top end, they are balanced and airy (I would have expected that, given the design), with a realistic midrange. Acoustic bass comes across as "in the room". While they still look as strange as ever, they are the most comfortable phones that I have. Their working principle reminds me of the AKG-K1000. While they are in no way in that league, they will be getting some use.

Welcome back, Floats.

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 24
I never had these, but heard them in stores on numerous occarions eons ago. Yup, I found there looks a little unusual. If memory serves, I think I found their sound was very laid back ...

Are you saying they create an acoustical space as well as the K1000s? That's a pretty high bar.

Nov 9, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
wow those look funky.

Yeah, like a vise made to be put on your head with slots cut in on the sides!! That top part is so wide it could almost double as a hat!
wink.gif
Or a sunshade at the very least.

Nov 9, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 24
Hey, FCJ, congratulations on finding your lost love
tongue.gif
I saw those on Audiogon, heard the name before but didn't have a clue as to how they were. Or what they looked like. Glad you found them.

elnero, thanks for the link. Look like Stax/K1000s. Funky yes, but they might just sound awesome.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Number9
I never had these, but heard them in stores on numerous occarions eons ago. Yup, I found there looks a little unusual. If memory serves, I think I found their sound was very laid back ...

Are you saying they create an acoustical space as well as the K1000s? That's a pretty high bar.

They create an acoustic space similar to the K-1000s, but nowhere near as well. They are much more comfortable, though.

I will agree that they are laid back, which coupled with their comfort is good for long-term listening.

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
So I guess these are the successor to the Floats.

From what I've read (I tried the Ergo's at the HeadRoom tour, but I only listened for a couple of minutes) the Ergo's are not as good as the Float's. They're also not as comfortable.

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Yeah, like a vise made to be put on your head with slots cut in on the sides!! That top part is so wide it could almost double as a hat!
wink.gif
Or a sunshade at the very least.

They are strange looking, aren't they?

I never thought about the sunshade. I guess they'll have another use in the summer.
biggrin.gif
Although I don't think I'll ever want to wear them outside. I can just imagine the comments. . . .

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 24
Here's a review and picture of the Float's from Hifi Choice.

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
They are strange looking, aren't they?

I never thought about the sunshade. I guess they'll have another use in the summer. Although I don't think I'll ever want to wear them outside. I can just imagine the comments. . . .

Let's not forget now that it's nearly winter they might also be good for keeping the noodle warm!! Just watch out for the helicopters that might try to land on them! And if you're going bald.........
wink.gif

FCJ - thanks for the heads-up on these phones!! Often times someone thinks they sound good and spends their money on some piece of junk liek these Ergo's, and then regrets it and can't sell them. Which goes to show that no matter how tempting the manufacturers make their product sound, let someone with teh budget and free capitol buy them first and let us know what they think first!!
biggrin.gif
If they like them teh flood gates will open, and the item will sell out in no time. I posted about some Raytheon 5751 windmill getters that I found, and the guy at Chimera sold all 16 he had in some 24 hours!! I'm sure he wasn't prepared for the onslaught that a good review brings!

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by SP00N
Strangely these Beyers remind me of the Floats. I’m sure they have an “airy” quality as well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1786123220

I'm not sure if they are Floats, but from the looks of them they do float......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back