I finally came to my senses.
Sep 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle

Rather difficult. How can it be worse than the P5 but not different?

I meant ''consistently worse'' , not an evasive ".. equally good, ... just different presentation"  kind of bull.....
Common sense says that a product fully deserves the price if it can perform better than a cheaper or similar priced priced product.

Quote:
Have you actually heard the B&W headphones as well as the Beats?

I wouldn't be so specific about the P5 without having listened to them.
There was a FOTM rave in the audiophile community in my country when they came out and I had a proper listen as soon as the Romanian B&W distributor stocked them.
The rave was based on the name and the expectations created by that. B&W is probably of the most popular speaker name you'll hear from a Romanian audiophile.
To me P5 proved to be a twofold disappointment: it didn't live up to the hype and it doesn't compare (at all) to the 'standard' 300 euro headphone - the likes of K701, HD6x0, Beyer DT880/990, etc
But still there are a few B&W diehards that bought them and like them.
I don't share their enthusiasm.

And just to be clear:
The point of my original comment is not to equalize the P5 with the Beats (in terms of sound or whatever). They're different headphones, that's obvious.
My point was that they're both trendy and overpriced and I've heard better for a lot less money.

That's what I think of them. If anybody thinks otherwise, that's fine.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
audiofil said:

I meant 'consistently worse' and not an evasive 'equally good, just different presentation'.

Let me rephrase that: which <300 euro headphones do you know to be consistently inferior to the P5 (in objective terms)?
As I said I don't know any, nor can I imagine one. 

In terms of frequency balance, seamlessness and musicality, I like them better than most of my headphones, regardless of price. It took me about a month of solid listening to realize that. I still use my other 'phones for various sonic thrills.

How's that? Hope that answers your question..

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 25
I listened to the P5 at an Apple store, along with the Beats. The P5 sounded like an upscale PortaPro, similar soundstage, more balanced, better detail ect. The build quality also seemed great, and overall they look pretty nice. I have listened to the Beyerdynamic DT880, 990, T1, and T5p, and think they are all considerably better, but in comparison to AKG $300 'phones, I would go with the B&W P5, as they have audible bass. If I had a slightly bigger budget, I could seem myself paying $200 for the P5, and maybe $100 for the Beats. (metal and leather vs. plastic and batteries)

As for Grado 'phones, I have listened to some of their $80 models, and some of their $1000 models (wood earcups, and metal earcups ect.) It was hard to tell the difference between them because of their overemphasized reproduction of sharp ear biting treble. I will probably never listen to them again because of this, and their terrible comfort.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 25
If I were you, I would grab a set of the JVC HA-RX900's and one of the PA2V2 amps found here: http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

I use this setup for gaming and stuff like techno and electronic music. The headphones are a great, inexpensive, and have a big soundstage and enough boom in the bass to fill your ears, but not enough that it sounds overpowering. The amp is one of the cheapest around that you'll find and has no problems running the HA-RX900's to as loud as you can take.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #22 of 25
Seconding(or Thirding) the call for 555's or 595's.

if you manage to find a HD600 on discount or a good used can, it's hard to beat on versatility. Looking at your preferences for type of music and the need to enjoy gaming, i'd say a HD600 fits the bill perfectly. you'll need an amp, though.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 25
What kind of amp. I have some other questions. I want the bass to be pretty heavy that's I was leaning towards the beats. I've heard that the sennheiser Hds show all the flaws in your music. And I'm not always going to be able to have a great source, good music files, or even a amp on me because I am constantly on the move( I live in NYC).

Oh and are the sennheisers when paired up with my astro mix amp be really good for gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back