I finally bought meself a new source
Sep 16, 2002 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Neruda

Banned Moderator
after a good two years in the high-end headphone community, and after asking a bazillion questions about the subject without ever acting, I finally bought a good source for my headphone system.

here's what i got:

kenwood1.gif

wait, don't judge it just yet! I know it looks like another crappy microsystem that you'd find at best buy, but this is actually a pretty darn good little setup. Here's a rundown of its features:

-HDCD encoding
-CD text
-20 watt speaker amplifier: class A for the first 7.5 watts, class AB after that
-can be placed horizontally or vertically: LCD display changes orientation to match placement
-speakers have real wood finishes and very sturdy five-way binding posts around back (magnetically sheilded)
-Subwoofer pre-out
-three seperate inputs: MD, tape, Aux
-took an innovations award at CES!
smily_headphones1.gif

there's plenty more that this system has to offer, but that's the major stuff. And it sounds great! I've been dreaming about getting this player for almost an entire year, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. great sound, fast operation, small, versatile, tons of inputs and outputs, good speakers, HDCD...I could hardly ask for more! Should make for a good dorm rig this year; 20 watts will be more than enough for that application. And when I'm not at college, it should also make for a terriffic desktop setup.

I promise I'll write a review after I've used it for a while and I have the time. For now, I'll be counting the hours until it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 25
Hey, you wouldn't happen to be going to The University of Oregon this year would you? I noticed you are from Portland, and figured that you might be staying in state. Let me know if you are....then I can try out all your cool headphone stuff that I don't have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 25
yeah, I am indeed going to U of O! I won't have much to show you, but it would certainly be fun to meet up sometime. I'll send you a message sometime and we can organize something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 25
Hey Neruda, that certainly looks nice.
I can't make out the name, who makes it?
Since I need a small system I will be watching for your review.
MPD

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 25
Congrats, Neruda... I know you've been a fan of that system for a looong time. Did you buy it from Kevin or did you get a new one?

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 25
MPD,
Quote:

Kenwood

Sep 16, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Hey Neruda, that certainly looks nice.
Since I need a small system I will be watching for your review.
MPD

How embarrassing! How in the world could I have forgotten to give the name?
rolleyes.gif
yes, it's made by kenwood. It's the VH-600. sorry 'bout that.

Mac, I bought my own model because there's no way I could ever pry kevin away from his.
wink.gif
Got mine from Let's Go Digital for $380 plus shipping.

Sep 16, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 25
if that's what one uses to copy CDs to MD, then yes it does (but I don't know, so I'm not sure). It's also the only CD player that I know of which allows you to select between 16 or 20 bit digital output for recording.

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 25
Neruda- lets have a Eugene get together when you get down there. I lived in Eugene for years and still visit friends down there every month or so.

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 25
sounds good! Isn't ppl located in Eugene too?

maybe I can try out your szekeres in Eugene as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

andrzejpw, all these outputs confuse me.
wink.gif
there's optical and coaxial, and maybe some more, and I don't know which ones the kenwood has. maybe I'll just have to wait and see, or perhaps kwkarth can tell us?

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 25
Neruda,

If it's an optical out, it will be rectangular with a cap on it. When you pull the cap off, you'll see a red light. A coax out looks a lot like a standard RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back