I feel like an idiot, for saying Shure was a good company.
Aug 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio
About a year ago my friend decided to get into expensive headphones. I didn't want to taint his decision so I said pick whatever headphones you want. He spent his hard earned money on a pair of shure 550dj. I said yeah shure is a good company and he bought them and loved them. Recently the headband broke as he was putting them on his head. He tried to contact them and every time they either said there is nothing they could do or there was an infinite loop of redirects.  He only spent like $100 on them but for him that is a HUGE purchase. He has to not only support him but his mom and dad. It makes me so irate that I said shure was a good company and they are being soo shady that they won't help him fix them.   Does anyone know of a direct way to contact shure to get this fixed properly ?

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 12
The thing is that it is probably not covered under warranty because it is physical damage. They wouldn't know if he bent it too far, or if it just broke under normal use. No company would replace it under those circumstances, it's not just Shure. 

An example similar to this is if you broke your screen on your phone under normal use somehow, the company would still not replace it under warranty. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Should have said Shure SRH440+840 pads because that is a very durable housing and sounds great.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 12
It also seems misleading "Professional Quality DJ" headphones. If you ever go to any music event DJ's are the hardest on their headphones. Always putting them on and off, bending the headband. So for these headphones to break purely from being used on a desktop and handled with the care is infuriating. 

Edit: I've never used any shure products myself. I just told him they were a good company based on the reviews from here. I guess lesson learned.  I've contacted sennheiser, beyerdynamic and audio technica for repairs. They all were extremely helpful and at the end of the conversation I left feeling like the companies care. Audio technica being the absolute best. They fixed a pair of headphones that were 2 weeks out of warranty because they aren't soulless and truly care about their customer base. 

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Seems a bit rich to label Shure shady as a business based on one instance. Maybe the warranty stipulates that they don't cover breakage from general wear and tear? 

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 12
I've had Shure SRH750DJ and I would put more faith into a pair of Skullcandy Skullcrushers in a DJ environment.
The Shures build quality is insulting, they would break within a week of normal DJ use.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 12
  Koss is the only company that I have seen  that will back all their phones for life no matter if you just break them.  I have had 2 or 3 pairs replaced with no questions asked.  

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Shure is a great company, however you are buying the reverse of what you should from them.  Buy microphones from them, not headphones (headphones are microphones in reverse try it sometime and you can actually use headphones as a mic haha)

Proud owner of a Shure SM57 and SM7B

You can literally hammer nails with the SM57 and SM58 (It's vocal version sister)
You can dunk it in water
I saw a video of someone microwaving it
You can drop it from over 20 feet

I have a pair of their IEM's the SE215, they are alright, I'm not a big IEM guy and they are a little bassy for my taste and that's saying a bit.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 12
  Shure is a great company, however you are buying the reverse of what you should from them.  Buy microphones from them, not headphones (headphones are microphones in reverse try it sometime and you can actually use headphones as a mic haha)

Proud owner of a Shure SM57 and SM7B

You can literally hammer nails with the SM57 and SM58 (It's vocal version sister)
You can dunk it in water
I saw a video of someone microwaving it
You can drop it from over 20 feet

I have a pair of their IEM's the SE215, they are alright, I'm not a big IEM guy and they are a little bassy for my taste and that's saying a bit.

Yeah it was a friend who bought the headphones. If I ever need a super high quality microphone I'll consider shure. Currently I own an Audio-Technica ATR2500 microphone and absolutely love it. I bought it because I liked the looks/price/company. Since I'm only doing skype calls I don't need the upmost quality, although the people I talk to say it sounds amazing. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 12
Whenever I've had questions, I've called them and left message. They always got back to me within a day or two and answered all my questions. So get the customer support number off their website and call. Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back