I done it~ purchased the M50's..
Sep 17, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #31 of 56

Quote:
just average 160kbps to 320kbps files~~ gear...just macbook 2009..

no amp, should i turn on the pre-amp in itunes? should i set the EQ to some sort of settings?

Between 160-320kbps AAC is usually fine for anything with that kind of impedance. If you've got the time and space on your laptop, though, I'd definitely still recommend re-ripping all of your CD's to ALAC.  Also, iTunes EQ is probably a bad idea - tends to hurt more than it helps.  Just burn-in the headphones for a couple of days, and try using them for a week or so.  If they still sound weird to you, just return them and try something else like a Q40 or an HD280.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #32 of 56
Muddy? I'm surprise. I like mine right off in my first listening. Is this your first purchase of headphone? if so, you should definitely like them.  For the price I can't see you going wrong with the sound quality. In matter of fact, I just purchase the ad700 and although they sound good, I'm thinking about selling them because I like the M50 so much.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 56

Quote:
just average 160kbps to 320kbps files~~ gear...just macbook 2009..

no amp, should i turn on the pre-amp in itunes? should i set the EQ to some sort of settings?

Use FLAC, use FLAC!  800-1000kbps
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure if I would be ready to admit my M50's are clear enough to reveal problems in bad recordings to the point where they would sound muddy. With my M50's, I could hear parts in songs I never heard before, but to turn bad recordings into muddy disappointments is a stretch...

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #35 of 56
Sep 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #36 of 56
Congratulations on your M-50's ^^
I too have been lurking around and finally bit the bullet bought the m50s
I just received them today. They've been currently burning in for about an hour off my ipod. Im surprised how easily driven they are. They're very (painfully) loud at max volume!

I do admit i was disappointed with their sound right out of the box, but it is, at least in my perception, improving. They don't sound that much better to my PC gaming headset, just louder and slightly more clearer but im sure (praying more like it) that they will improve, exponentially.

I'm using 320 kbps mp3 so it shouldnt be too much of source issue.

Anyway, i just wanted to check with other m50 owners and ask if the box their m50s came in looked anything like mine. I bought mine off e-bay and im a bit paranoid. The box doesn't have the blue flap that other boxes i've seen have.

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #37 of 56
it's too bad to hear that you guys were diappointed from the initial "out of the box" sound.   the M50 don't change much from burn in from my experience,only very slightly and i am not sure that this is not an illusion.     anyway,my out of the box experience was a very good one,i was so impressed with them that i didn't touch my RS1 or my D5000 for a few weeks.  I used the rig mentioned in my sig.

although it is true that the M50 are super efficient and play very well from  portable sources,but because they are very heavy on the bass they  really need a nice system/amp to control them and put them in place.    like most headphones, they beneffit from a good system.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 56
crishken,

Yup that looks like the same box that I received and I bought mine from guitar center in person (at a physical store).  I think reason for the missing flap is b/c it's a 2010 model. I'm just guessing.  Yeah I don't think the m50 really makes a difference with burn in, but at the same time I'm not sure if I believe in burn in.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #40 of 56
lol, shouldn't it be the other way around...the differences is what should make me believe?
blink.gif
hehe

If burning in is that difficult where I have to try to notice it, then I'm in trouble...well actually not because I already like them. I'm not trying to not believe in burn in, but it hasn't been obvious to me yet. I'm still waiting. Plus all of those people who say give them 300 hrs. of burn in is making me skeptical...300 hrs. is a lot. by that time I would forget how they sound like the first time I put them on.

plonter,

by the way you should buy my ad700
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #41 of 56

Quote:
lol, shouldn't it be the other way around...the differences is what should make me believe?
blink.gif
hehe

If burning in is that difficult where I have to try to notice it, then I'm in trouble...well actually not because I already like them. I'm not trying to not believe in burn in, but it hasn't been obvious to me yet. I'm still waiting. Plus all of those people who say give them 300 hrs. of burn in is making me skeptical...300 hrs. is a lot. by that time I would forget how they sound like the first time I put them on.

plonter,

by the way you should buy my ad700
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am considering the AD700 , but i am also considering getting something dead flat and neutral..so we'll see.  thanks for the offer anyway mate.
yes...you are right about the burn in, i was just kidding over there.    we need to listen to our ears and not our brains!

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #42 of 56
lol, I know you were kidding. I'm just throwing the ad700 out there.  I've only listened to them for less than 5 hrs and had it for less than a week. I keep going back and forth about selling them and that is why I haven't really post it on the for sell forum yet.  I realized after buying them that if I listen to the ad700 then I don't have time to listen to the M50, so my solution is to sell these and buy  a headphone that is more portable (not IEMs but actual smaller headphones). The only problem with smaller headphones are that I have to sacrifice SQ for portability.  The better portable headphones are $$$ for the unmatching sound quality vs buy larger ones.

ah, headphones and the decision we have to make. I want the hd25-1 II, but the cost of em is kinda make me think twice.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #43 of 56
lol ... I was worried for the exact reason as you. I got them on ebay too and they came in the same gray box (and not blue). That's some relief
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Congratulations on your M-50's ^^
I too have been lurking around and finally bit the bullet bought the m50s
I just received them today. They've been currently burning in for about an hour off my ipod. Im surprised how easily driven they are. They're very (painfully) loud at max volume!

I do admit i was disappointed with their sound right out of the box, but it is, at least in my perception, improving. They don't sound that much better to my PC gaming headset, just louder and slightly more clearer but im sure (praying more like it) that they will improve, exponentially.

I'm using 320 kbps mp3 so it shouldnt be too much of source issue.

Anyway, i just wanted to check with other m50 owners and ask if the box their m50s came in looked anything like mine. I bought mine off e-bay and im a bit paranoid. The box doesn't have the blue flap that other boxes i've seen have.

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #45 of 56
oohhhh im SOOOO close of getting this headphone..

now im stuck between M50 and AKG K181DJ
i still prefer the M50 but my father and my brother prefer the AKG..
what should i choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back