I didn't think i would enjoy vinyl
Mar 11, 2006 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nabwong

Headphoneus Supremus
For a long time, i thought that vinyl was just old technology that wasn't any good. Only after reaching 1000 posts here that i chanced upon a used turntable for cheap. I bought a Sony LX250H for $20. In addition, the guy gave me 40 lps cos he said he was giving it up and is only using his ipod now. Good deal?
tongue.gif

Anyway, i wasn't too optimistic or anything, i was just curious. So the next morning, i hooked it up to my system.

Sony LX250H -> NAD c320bee -> Dali suite 2.8

Some of the records he gave me included Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Beatles, The Who and Rolling stones. Not too bad huh? Anyway, proceeded to playing them.

Even for a cheap player, i seem to hear a difference between the warmness of the sound. Like when i listen to the Beatles, the same songs sound bad on cd but enjoyable on vinyl. Is this normal?

Oh no! Now i'm starting to get really curious how a good turntable will sound. I really wanna make a comparison with something like Beck on LP and SACD and see which sounds better. Anyway, i'm pleasantly surprised with vinyl. Classic rock and classic jazz sound better on vinyl than cd. I wish i could experiment with Diana Krall too.

Where's my wallet? Can't seem to find it........
eek.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Welcome to the analogue fold. It's well worth exploring vinyl more. There are plenty of new releases available, and tons of old stuff (often inexpensive) out there for the taking.

There are very few Beatles CDs that sound good, especially compared to their analogue counterparts. There's a "rightness" to LPs that CDs just don't seem to achieve. At this point in time, my digital front end gives me a bit more clarity than my turntable, but, that has more to do with not having a cartridge that's worthy of my turntable yet. Even so, something seems more natural and convincing with my turntable. Perhaps, harmonics?

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 13
It's just so warm and involving, isn't it? I refuse to buy a cartridge for the Turntable I was given... I know it would take me down an expensive path that I cannot afford!

Just like Head-Fi has already...

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I wish i could experiment with Diana Krall too.

:

Me too!!!!!
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Some of the records he gave me included Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Beatles, The Who and Rolling stones. Not too bad huh? Anyway, proceeded to playing them.

Like you, I have never experimented with Vinyl...

It makes sense that the Beatles would sound better on Vinyl because at the time that was the intended media that they tailored their recordings to.

That sounds like a deal that is impossible to pass up though...although it may end up costing you big time as fas as the upgrade bug goes!

Those LPs he threw in as well aren't too shabby...

Enjoy

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 13
Enjoy it as long as you can then upgrade to a Music Hall MMF-5 or, if you really want to stave off upgraditis for a long time, a VPI scout. Then you'll need a nice cart and a good stage.
Sorry about your analog wallet!
CPW

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 13
Welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a turntable, but have amassed quite a nice vinyl collection from thrift stores
smily_headphones1.gif
25 cents for an album just can't be beat!

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a turntable, but have amassed quite a nice vinyl collection from thrift stores
smily_headphones1.gif
25 cents for an album just can't be beat!

Used vinyl may indeed be the best bargain in Hi-Fidom. Thing is, to take advantage, you really need to look at the vinyl in a good light w/ a discerning eye andinvest in a record cleaning machine. Once you've done that, the used record bins are your oyster!
My weakness has been to pick up titles I like even when the condition wasn't that great and I rarely listen to them even though I like the material.
CPW

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Even for a cheap player, i seem to hear a difference between the warmness of the sound. Like when i listen to the Beatles, the same songs sound bad on cd but enjoyable on vinyl. Is this normal?

For older stuff, definitely. For newer stuff (80s and up) it varies more.

P.S. you'll probably find that with your first "high end" turntable some of the warmth is gone, and is an artifact of cheaper tables. Not to say that records sound any worse, just closer to the original recording... cheap plastic tables are very colored.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 13
I have a love/hate relationship with vinyl. Actually I currently have no relationship with vinyl. Back in the day (before CDs) I constantly struggled with keeping dust off of my records and tt. The clicks and pops drove me crazy. Keeping my records and tt clean was a huge burden. On the other hand, there is that "warm fuzzy feeling" about the whole vinyl experience that is hard to explain. When CDs came out it was like my prayers were answered. Great sound and no dust issues! It's not that simple of course. I still have that old tt packed away in the basement. I hope I don't dig it out any time soon. I just might get sucked into another wallet draining audio habit
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back