I did not pass my driving test...
Apr 3, 2004 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I took my driving test today and I did not pass. I do not blame it on the examiner, but he was somewhat mean (though I think that they are told to be like that).

It was a not fun
rolleyes.gif

(Before anyone asks, I do not feel like recalling exactly what happened. I made some turning lane errors.)

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 70
LOL!

Most places don't test for parallel parking anymore. Feel lucky you don't have to be tested for that. (although, they really should.)

Better luck next time.

You know what they say. If at first you don't succeed.......

-Ed

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 70
Oh that's a bummer. I thought I was done with driving tests, but I've been in Finland too long and my license has expired. Being that the eye doctor has to be licensed to practice in the state of South Carolina, it would be impossible for me to renew it from here. So when I get back, I'll have to take the test again.

What's this I hear about no more parallel parking? That's the bit I'd have to practice. I only did it once, and that was for my driving test.
cool.gif
I remember for my test all I had to do was make a right from the DMV, make another right onto a Frontage road, back up, three point turn, left back out to main road, left back to DMV, and then parallel park.

Not that I actually remember it, I just remember how you get to the Frontage road from the DMV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 70
What's a three point turn? I been driving for years BTW. No violations and accidents so far.
biggrin.gif

Don't feel so bad Czilla, it took me three tries.

1) Ran a stop sign
2) Drove too fast
3) Drove little slower than my 2nd time but still fast. But examiner quizzed me about resident and parking speed limit which I knew (25 and 5)

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 70
It took me two tries, and the examiner was gunning to flunk me the second time for not coming to a COMPLETE (read - not one millimeter of forward motion) at a stop sign. It's not the end of the world...you'll do fine next time.

Thank GOD that they don't have parallel parking requirements...my wife would NEVER get a license.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 70
In chicago when i got my license it was understood that you
left a tightly folded up $20 in an obvious place. Probably
$50 by now...

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 70
In Virginia we don't even have to take an actual test anymore. We take 36 hours of classroom lessons (which sucks), and 7 2-hour in-car lessons. The last lesson is technically your test (and we don't have to parrallel park). Did you have to take classes or anything, or did you just get to show up? I'd much rather just take the test twice, if that's all you've gotta do then you're lucky.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 70
Man, take it easy. I also had to repeat the test...

And even I have my driving licence for years, I guess it would be better to go to a driving school again, since in Hong Kong people drive on the left.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 70
I guess I take 3 driving test but technically it is 2 times.
very_evil_smiley.gif

1st
In Indonesia: The easiest one, I just came, take a picture, voila got the license.
wink.gif

2nd
In Australia: I actually have to take a driving lessons to understand what will be tested. Have to do 3 point turns, driving around 8 blocks, parallel parking, but I got my license on my first try. Considered lucky though, my friends usually takes 2 try to get their license.

3rd
In USA : The driving test is easier, do Paralel parking, driving around 2 blocks. Got to do it 2 times though, first time I don't see a stop sign when I went out the dmv
rolleyes.gif

Conclusion: IMO, Australia is the most complicated and longest one to do driving test but for theory test, USA is more tricky.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 70
Dont feel bad
I past my road test twicw
lost my liscense twice
mad.gif

going for test #3 soon

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 70
Always use the 3 second rule.

At stop lights and stop signs, count to 3 before proceeding again. look left, right and left (3 count) and then proceed. You cannot roll through a stop sign. You stop right at it - if the stop sign is beyond any part of your car you've failed. Wait three seconds. Take your foot off the brake and ease forward a little IF you have to look around obstructions - like a tree.

When the light changes, count to three. Someone may be running a light.

In NYC everything is parallel parking. You tend to get better at it if you do it 10 times a day. If you don't turn your head around you will fail. It's the only time when both hands do not have to be on the wheel.

I can do a 3 point U-turn in under 10 seconds. They are easy - just never do them too close to an intersection.

I give turn signals and hand signals. Why? Because the guy behind you can see your electric signals but not the guy behind him. When I thrust my hand out the guy behind the guy behind me can see my hand. Stop turn signals are tricky though - you have to give them far i advance in case you need both hands on the wheel.

If you take the test in the rain, remember that you have to be about 5 miles per hour under the posted speed limit and you cannot follow as closely. You then have to increase to a 5 second rule.

Okay, so how many of you slow down when approaching an intersection? (especially if you think that the light may turn red; a "stale" green)?

How many of you follow too closely when you are in the right lane? What if the person in front of you decides to turn right into a driveway or store? What about the guy behind you that is following too closely?

And how many of you are idiots who drive SUVs and decide to increase your speed in the rain? Or forget to tun on your headlights in the rain or downpour? I turn on my headlights when there are too many cars around me. How many of you can say that you are defensive drivers?

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 70
Yeah, don't feel too bad. Quite a few don't pass their first time around and the people who test you sometimes act very cold. My daughter failed her first time around this last October. All along, she had said that she didn't really want to drive. The day of the test, though, she seemed a nervous wreck. I took her to a rural area so there wouldn't be much traffic. I knew there was trouble right off the bat when it took her almost 3 minutes to pull out of the Department of Motor Vehicles parking lot. Then, when she did, accidentally honked the horn, and did a horribly wide turn.

Even though she had said she could care less about driving, when she approached me after the test, she broke out in tears.

The second time went very smoothly.

She came out of the car with a big smile on her face.

I have the feeling the second time around will be much more successful for you. It's all a new experience being tested for the first time. Next time, the nerves of the first time will be greatly diminished.

Good luck!!!

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 70
Hey Czilla9000, I flunked my first time too.
The guy told me all the things I did wrong. So I concentrated on those items the rest of that day in practice. The next day I went back and took it again and passed. The examiner made a comment to my mom that he was impressed that I had listened to what he said and didn't repeat those errors.

I can't remember if I had to parallel park or not. This was like in 1974 or so.
rolleyes.gif
I do remember that I had not been in the correct lane of a one street, I think I drove down the middle.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad I don't have to ride with wallijonn. It sounds like it takes hime forever to get anywhere.
biggrin.gif
Oh, wallijonn you will be happy to note we traded off the SUV. ............................We got a pickup!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
I took my driving test today and I did not pass. I do not blame it on the examiner, but he was somewhat mean (though I think that they are told to be like that).

It was a not fun
rolleyes.gif

(Before anyone asks, I do not feel like recalling exactly what happened. I made some turning lane errors.)

I told you not to wear the headphones for that test....LOL...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back