I Did It!
Nov 11, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

I had V- connected to pin 1 instead of pin 4....after turning off the amp, I can still hear music

If you are using a dual-channel op-amp chip, you might have damaged it, since pin 1 is the output for the first channel. If it's a single-channel chip, you probably didn't hurt anything, since pin 1 is usually either not connected internally, or it's for offset trimming in combination with pin 8 or 5, so with nothing connected to 8/5, nothing happens.

What you're hearing is not normal. The only path from the input to the output should be through the chip, and with no power to the chip, there should be no path. But since behavior changes when you change your audio source impedance, you may have some high-resistance short somewhere. Try cleaning your board and examining it for marginal connections.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 25
Thanks Tangent. I don't know what caused that either = but it's gone now. And, I am finished!! I've got about 8 hours on it with no problems! I am quite impressed with myself.

I'll get someone with a digicam to take pictures and post 'em. Thanks for the excellent tutorial. Your page was invaluable. I may have it memorized!

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 25
Here's the pics as promised! Keep in mind it's my first with all the learning 'bumps and bruises.' I am especially fond of the little 'smileys' on the top left and at the right. This happened due to my burning holes with the soldering iron.
biggrin.gif
And I couldn't get a good picture - but the faceplate is red plastic with the LED behind it. It looks cool when it's on. That was my attempt at creativity! Have a look!

You may also note that headphone jack doesn't have it's lug...well that's because I couldn't manage to file the plastic thin enough after the 'burn'. Another lesson learned.

I love my CMOY. It sounds great and is getting a lot of play. One of the guys at work steals it from my desk while I'm at lunch. No, it doesn't sound better than any of my other amps - but it's special.

I'm going to spend a week drilling holes to practice for the Meta I'm making next, so it may get recased.

Oh yeah, I just set that web page up this morning so have a place to put the pics. It's a work in progress.

http://home.att.net/~cherylc9/wsb/ht...ome.html-.html

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 25
Oh yeah - once you get on the web page click on photos for an inside look!

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 25
Congratulations! You did it!

You are right: The way to learn is to do searches on different topics. Most of the questions being asked today have been answered before. So it is wise to do searches at Head-fi and Headwize.

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 25
chenaynay
Very cool. I got parts to build a CMOY a long time ago (probably before you did) but had some confusion and had to order more stuff. Now I have everything and just can't seem to schedule time with the guy I was going to build it with (we got enough stuff to make two). I'm always encouraged to see someone else new pull it off. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work on the META.

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 25
Looks really good, I am picking up a few of the Hansen PCBs for my first go at a CMoy. Can't wait. BTW, I have some Sennheiser HD280s, anyone have a recommend on what resistor would be a good match for them on R3?

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #24 of 25
Pretty satisfying, isn't it?

Congratulations again. I like the 'wallpaper' under the first picture!

Looking forward to seeing pics of that when it's fineshed, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back