I Desire Peace And Quiet!!!!
Sep 19, 2002 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MERTON

Banned
so what kinda of headphones are there that block out all noise frequencies? i would like at least 40 dbl eliminated... man i need some peace and quiet while playing my games so i can relaaaaax!!! oh that would be nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

oh.. and they need to be comfortable.. even if they are the in the ear type.. why do people bass? i got a bunch of hill billies where i live that constantly do that.. you can call the police on them and they still do it. so sound proofin i do trully need.

Sep 19, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet. Your best bet for the ultimate sound isolation would be the Etymotic ER4p or s. They have 23 decibel of isolation which I believe is the highest amount of isolation on a pair of headphones. Hope this helps.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 9
i saw the er4p's.. um anything that would be like.. 70 bucks or under? 27 isn't bad... 32 would be nice... i had some ear plugs for shop class like that once.... even grinders were tollerable in them. oh.. and i just desire acceptable sound... i have some aiwa ...xp-2220's i think they are. and they are good enough.. but i do enjoy clarity more than heavy bass.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Actually, I had to correct myself; the Etymotic's only have 23 dbl of isolation. For about $50 you could get the Sony ex70, which are similar to the Etymotics. I do not know their rating on isolation, though. Or for about $70 you could get the Sony v6. Neither of these phones block out as much sound as the Etymotics, but they do block sound.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 9
hmm.. thanks.. i'll come back in a few days to see what everyone says... but thanks much fer yer help!
smily_headphones1.gif
.. i need ot go.. anyway... anything under $330 si what i'd like to be advised of... i need isolation.. bye.

I MAY be willing to spend that much... peace and quiet is a valuable thing... hmmm.. er4p or er4s... which are better? are there any that block out more sound...? answer at own leisure. it'll be a while before i have that kinda cash... but i need to buy a gcn too...

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 9
The EX70 don't block anywhere near as much external sound as the ER4 series Etys (which can actually block out significantly more than 23dB).

But for your budget, you're not going to find *anything* that will block out as much sound as you're asking for. Most earplugs designed for noise reduction can't block out that much sound.

What I would recommend is buying a pair of cheap but very good sounding earbuds, like the Sennheiser MX500 for $18, and then buying a pair of industrial-grade ear protection (like the ones used on shooting ranges and construction sites). Those block out huge amounts of noise, and you can wear the MX500 underneath.

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
... hmmm.. er4p or er4s... which are better?

The ER4s is better, but only with an amp. The ER4p would be your best bet if you went with the Ety's, because you can buy an adapter to make the ER4p into the s.

MacDEF's idea with buying the mx500's and ear protection would be a good solution for you if you do not want to spend the money on the Ety's.

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 9
MAN!! THANKS!!! hmmm... i used to have some of those ear protectors... i'll go look them up for prices. walmart maybe?
and what stores can i buy the sennheiser mx500? um... are these like those koss ones with that little tube that stabs yer ear? cus man.. that really was a bad design.. they really should have hardened the thing that makes them stay in.. ya know those interchangable things. me go look now!
EDIT!!!!!!!!! yup... ELVEX has some called the supper sonics for only 20 bucks that block out 29 decibels.

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 9
When you are talking about earplugs you will find that the package will say up to xx dB. The reason is that they do not all perform the same at all frequencies. 23-28 dB is really pretty good at most frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back