I Demand You Listen To Radiohead: The Bends
Nov 8, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
sorry for the stupid post but this album just gets better everytime I listen to it, a definite masterpiece, and anyone who does not heed my advice, well, I hope something bad happens to your private parts!!!!

I will obey, master.
This has been said before but bears repeating, RH has a lot of great nonalbum material and if you combined the Iron Lung EP with the Airbag EP you would have 15 track CD that would probably be their best album!

They really should collect the best of this material for another CD similar to what Smashing Pumpkins did with Pisces Iscarot release

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
Liking radiohead is like liking sugar cubes.

I like Radiohead, and I like The Sugarcubes, too
run.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 28
Strangely, The Bends hasn't grown on me nearly as much as has OK Computer... perhaps I haven't given it enough of a chance. Don't get me wrong, I feel it's a great album, but still overshadowed by the bohemoth (imnsho) that is OKC.

fyrfytrhoges, how do you feel OKC stacks up to TB, or vice versa
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I like to throw in that I dislike radiohead ever chance I get

Woah there... I'm somewhat new to these parts, but would y'all consider this a crap?

Nov 9, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 28
Killer band + great producer (John Leckie) = Modern Classic.

One of the best albums of the 90's, no doubt.

Anyone remember Radiohead's surreal appearance on MTV Beach-house circa the Bends? They were really no-one yet in the U.S. despite "Creep". Yorke, the singer had a really embarrasing, almost deal-breaking streaked, died-blonde mullet. Ouch! They were performing poolside at the Beach-House! What on earth was MTV thinking?
tongue.gif

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #20 of 28
ob3ron, I think that okc is a great album, but in a different way. I think that the bends is the supreme "cover to cover" album. There are a few on okc that I could do without, but one or two songs does not make it a piece of crap by any stretch. I just think that after spending so many hours with these albums that in my opinion "the bends" is just the best......

ooh, ooh, just noticed- #2-"69" woo hoo!!!

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 28
"High And Dry" = Amazing. In fact, I'm going to go and listen to it now.

Nov 9, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
Some of the old radiohead stuff is... 'alright'. However they are trully friggin overrated. And their electronic stuff is just bad imo. I don't know how some people with otherwise good taste in music can actually say "I like amnesiac" with a straight face. I love electronica in so many forms, and I gave in when amnesiac came out because of my wide ranging tastes for electronica and the various good things I had heard about it. Still, I ended up giving that cd away. Radiohead is contrived sounding imo.

When it comes to their electronic stuff, I agree with you. But I still think Radiohead is one of the 10 greats of rock.

Nov 10, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 28
'The Bends' is definitely my favorite radiohead album. Although OK Computer is up there as well.

I own Ok Computer, The Bends, Kid A, Amnesiac, and just picked up the I Might Be Wrong live album....which is worth it for that version of 'like spinning plates' alone....beautiful piano part.

Anyone read the November issue of Stereophile yet? 'The Bends' is included on their list of top 40 most influential albums (in the last 40 years). I'd say thats quite an achievement. It *is* an outstanding album, and has defintely changed the world of music.

Also, I disagree with ai0tron. While radiohead's newer stuff like Kid A, and Amnesiac is defintely.....different.....that fact is it *isn't* electronica and it *isn't* rock......I seriously doubt that its supposed to be. So stop forcing it to be what its not, and listen to it as something new.... like something that isnt anything else. That is the only way to appreciate their work -- or any musical work.

If you don't like their stuff, that's fine. Everyone has different tastes. However, just 'cause you don't like their stuff, doesn't mean that the band is overrated--they're just not you're thing.

peace.

---njm

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 28
Yeah, parts of Amnesiac and Kid-A are electronic, but that's the problem. Radiohead does great rock, but does not shine in the world of electronica. Listen to Aphex Twin's RDJ LP and then listen to idioteque. Idioteque is not bad, but it certainly is not a genre standout like HTDC, MPS, YAWA or IMBW.

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #26 of 28
"that fact is it *isn't* electronica and it *isn't* rock......I seriously doubt that its supposed to be." - some guy

What ever it *isn't* certainly has me confused on what it *is* but if it *is* anything it *isn't* great.

But what *is* or *is* not, *is* not necessarily the question here, the question *is*, if what *is*, *isn't*, and what *isn't*, *is* then what exactly *is* or *isn't*?? *Is* *is * *isn't* and *Isn't* *isn't* *is*??? It seems you're saying *Isn't* *isn't* *isn't* and that *is* *is* *isn't*... So if *isn't* *isn't* *isn't* then naturally it *is* everything, but *isn't* *isn't* *is* so how *is* *isn't* anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back