I coupled one of world's finest headphones to J3 and saw J3's true colors. The end of portable amps?
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

sabatar

100+ Head-Fier
So, I was lucky to find J3 in a brick and mortar shop in Dubai selling only one Cowon - J3. No online ordering, no waiting, no shipping charges and no customs. I bought it instantly based on your recommendations here. I know quite well about Cowon and always feel sorry that it's not a known brand in our market. Our market is heavily saturated by Apple marketing and dominated by Dr Dre and iPhone and iPod. Anyways, the player delivered better results than I was aspiring for--WAY beyond my expectations, although I have D2 by Cowon. It surpasses all the DAP's I have/had in terms of SQ--and SQ is what I'm after. I have many media players and have headphones from the biggest names in the industry, and I also have UE custom 11.

I always coupled the portable players I had to my headphone amp, The Predator, and the result was always good.

3 days toying with J3, I reached to one of the huge headphones of mine that I don't use much anymore because I've become very mobile, and rarely do I find the time to sit down at home and enjoy the music. I picked Ultrasone Edition 9 and plugged it in J3 expecting to push the volume to the limit and o hear emaciated sound. To my SHOCKING surprise I did not have to increase the volume a tad and the sound that came out from J3 was INCREDIBLY good. I usually listen to Ultrasone ed9 through the balanced desktop amp by Headroom and the result has always been good, but I'm in awe gaping at how this little black gizmo called J3 can power such BIG and demanding cans. Now next thing I'm thinking of is how to change the wire of my Ultrasone to shorten it and take it along with me on the road. It's become quite normal in our city to see people walking with huge headphones on.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 40
Hey, where did you find those? I am in Dubai, and I'd be glad to search for these.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 40
I went to Cowon's website and looked at the section that says stores. I checked where in Dubai do they sell them. Visited E-Max but they don't carry them anymore as not ONE piece was sold! Got lucky with SBK Trading (a small electronics shop in Diera City Center - opposite the Carrefour hypermarket. They have iAudio 2 by Cowon and another Cower player that looked like a discontinued. Check with them, they might have another J3 in their other stores.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 40

Quote:
I went to Cowon's website and looked at the section that says stores. I checked where in Dubai do they sell them. Visited E-Max but they don't carry them anymore as not ONE piece was sold! Got lucky with SBK Trading (a small electronics shop in Diera City Center - opposite the Carrefour hypermarket. They have iAudio 2 by Cowon and another Cower player that looked like a discontinued. Check with them, they might have another J3 in their other stores.

I had the convenience to check out that place (since we live near there), though no luck was found. How much were they?

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 40
The title is misleading. It's well known around Head-Fi that the J3 is a top quality DAP. 'True Colours' insinuates negative connotations. I'm not sure whether English is your first language, but just be careful about using such terms if you're not confident with their meanings.
However, enough nit picking. Congratulations on finding the J3! You're right, it is a shame that J3 doesn't recognition by the general public. I have to admit, before my lurking days of Head-Fi, I had never heard of J3.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 40

Quote:
The title is misleading. It's well known around Head-Fi that the J3 is a top quality DAP. 'True Colours' insinuates negative connotations. I'm not sure whether English is your first language, but just be careful about using such terms if you're not confident with their meanings.
However, enough nit picking. Congratulations on finding the J3! You're right, it is a shame that J3 doesn't recognition by the general public. I have to admit, before my lurking days of Head-Fi, I had never heard of J3.

Couldn't understand your English there 
frown.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 40

Quote:
Couldn't understand your English there 
frown.gif

I believe he was trying to say that the Cowon J3 isn't well recognised as much as other brands/products. Which is true, as their marketing is inferior to that of Apple's. Quite sad really, when the J3 is so much better than most anything Apple could ever offer.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
'True Colours' insinuates negative connotations.

Is this a linguistic forum, guys?

Anyways, thanks for your reply. I know quite well the meaning of the expression :) Well enough to use it to arouse your curiosity. The use of headlines with contrary connotation to the established lore is a good copywriting device :)
You're awesome \m/

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 40

Quote:
You're going to use the Ultrasone Edition 9, for portable use?

I don't know about the J3... but I hated the Cowon S9.

I know what you mean. It would have sent shudders up and down my spine if I had heard this intention to use Ultrasone Ed. 9 on the road. Dude, I wanna enjoy the cans. I bought them two years ago and haven't gotten around to use them on more than a couple of occasions, and trust me the sound quality I'm getting out of these cans plugged straight into the fabulous J3 warrants this sacrilege :)
I'll be taking extra care of them always.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 40
right now listening with the j3 and the little hard to drive denon AHD-5000.   they sound really not bad coming out of the j3.  the j3 is a truly awsome player,the best i had so far.  because i don't listen to my home rig as much as i used to, i decided to sell it.  the j3 will be enough for me both as home rig and on the go portable rig.  
the j3 handles flawlessly with the grado RS-1 and the audio technica M-50.  also the denon AHD-5000 sound wonderfull out of it,but not as driven by my headroom amp.  but not so far from that to be honest.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 40
In fact..the most powerfull player cowon has ever made was the D2/D2+,in terms of volume output.  although the j3 volume is more than enough even for harder to push headphones.    but the d2 was a monster in that aspect

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
I wonder which is more powerful, Cowon J3 or Teclast T51

Never heard of Teclast T51. I'm very very curios about the HiFi Man 801/601/602, and today, I saw the thread about the Colorfly player and I swooned. I'm a sucker for SQ. My biggest disappointment was with the Bang and Olafsen two players. Got them both through a friend coming to town from Germany and they turned out to be worse that iPod.

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 40

Quote:
In fact..the most powerfull player cowon has ever made was the D2/D2+,in terms of volume output.  although the j3 volume is more than enough even for harder to push headphones.    but the d2 was a monster in that aspect

I have D2 and I love it with my IEM's but it could never power my big cans. BTW, I tried J3 with my Denon AHD 5000 last night and was blown away. Man the bass had a cruel thump and the highs were better than I expected. The highs of the Ultrasone cans remain the best I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back