I can't seem to find a closed headphone that I like. Need help!
Oct 17, 2016 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

killeraxemannic

100+ Head-Fier
I have to have closed headphones for work. I really am not a fan of anything in ear and I like my comfort so I go for big comfy over the ear headphones. Problem is I have tried a lot of closed back over the ear headphones and I have issues with the sound of all of them. I can't seem to find a pair I am satisfied with. I have a Centrance Dacport Slim for work so I can run pretty much anything. 

AKG K550 - Sound a little too thin and have strange mid range. 

Beyr DT770 250 Ohm - Sound very thin and lack bass. 

Beyr Custom One Pro - Sound muddy and bass distorts midrange. Or close them up and kill the bass and put a weird spike in the lower mids. 

Vmoda M100 - Squashed highs and mids to make room for the epic bass that will rattle your spine and hurt your ears after a while

AT M50X (Briefly tired these at the store so not burned in) - Harsh highs and a bit thin

I just don't know where to go from here. It's a bit discouraging spending a couple hundred bucks on a headphone and having them be a disappointment. Is there any headphone that will do what I want? I guess my benchmark so to say is the HD598's and the HD650. Both of which I have and very much enjoy. Is there something out there closed that sounds comparable to at the very least the HD598? After trying lots of headphones over the years I can tell you that I like detail and I like thick fat sound. I think that's why I like the 650's so much. My maximum budget would probably be somewhere in the $300 range. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 24
What about iems ?

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 24
My favorite closed headphones are the Yamaha HPH-MT220 and Focal Spirit Professional. The MT220 has much better sound and comfort in my experience. Both have strong bass, but the MT220 has more impact, better clarity, etc. I actually like it more than many open headphones, including the HD 650.

I don't know what was going on when you heard the M50x. It has overwhelming bass and rolled-off treble. Perhaps it was just the song(s) you heard.

What about iems ?

Read the first line:

I really am not a fan of anything in ear and I like my comfort so I go for big comfy over the ear headphones.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 24
Yeah definitely no IEM's for me. The only in ear headphones that I have are my wireless gym headphones and I am not a fan. I have tried IEM's in the past and I always ended up tearing them out of my ears with disgust from the feeling of them. I also hate how they seal in my ears and mess with the pressure. Absolutely not an option. Need big comfy closed back headphones. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 24
  Need big comfy closed back headphones. 

FYI, although the MT220 is big, the pads are shallow. I put gauze under them to improve the comfort and sound. The FSP is so small that it can be on-ear for those with larger ears. And those are the only two closed headphones I've owned that are good enough to compete with some open headphones in my opinion. I've had many others, but they don't sound nearly as good.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 24
  I have to have closed headphones for work. I really am not a fan of anything in ear and I like my comfort so I go for big comfy over the ear headphones. Problem is I have tried a lot of closed back over the ear headphones and I have issues with the sound of all of them. I can't seem to find a pair I am satisfied with. I have a Centrance Dacport Slim for work so I can run pretty much anything. 

AKG K550 - Sound a little too thin and have strange mid range. 

Beyr DT770 250 Ohm - Sound very thin and lack bass. 

Beyr Custom One Pro - Sound muddy and bass distorts midrange. Or close them up and kill the bass and put a weird spike in the lower mids. 

Vmoda M100 - Squashed highs and mids to make room for the epic bass that will rattle your spine and hurt your ears after a while

AT M50X (Briefly tired these at the store so not burned in) - Harsh highs and a bit thin

I just don't know where to go from here. It's a bit discouraging spending a couple hundred bucks on a headphone and having them be a disappointment. Is there any headphone that will do what I want? I guess my benchmark so to say is the HD598's and the HD650. Both of which I have and very much enjoy. Is there something out there closed that sounds comparable to at the very least the HD598? After trying lots of headphones over the years I can tell you that I like detail and I like thick fat sound. I think that's why I like the 650's so much. My maximum budget would probably be somewhere in the $300 range. 

More like the HD600 with a lot less of the 3.5khz and 8khz peak - the Focal Spirit Classic.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 24

FYI, although the MT220 is big, the pads are shallow. I put gauze under them to improve the comfort and sound. The FSP is so small that it can be on-ear for those with larger ears. And those are the only two closed headphones I've owned that are good enough to compete with some open headphones in my opinion. I've had many others, but they don't sound nearly as good.

Looks like the MT220 aren't available anymore. Don't have any concern with picking them up used though if that's the only way to find them. The Vmoda M100's are on the small side and definitely don't fit me very well even with the XL pads. They are the most uncomfortable of the bunch. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 24

Sound leaking is important due to co workers. Isolation isn't really a factor. 

Ok, I only ask because I was gonna suggest taking a look at the Hifiman Edition S. They're advertised as on-ears, but they're actually over-ear and shaped well to accommodate most ears, with very comfortable pads. The only caveat is that with their convertible design, being able to go from closed to open, they don't isolate as well as most closed headphones and they leak a little more sound. Unless your office is dead quiet, I don't think they leak enough to be an issue at moderate volume. They sound great, solid low-end that doesn't overpower the mids, with detailed, exciting highs that aren't harsh. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 24
  Ok, I only ask because I was gonna suggest taking a look at the Hifiman Edition S. They're advertised as on-ears, but they're actually over-ear and shaped well to accommodate most ears, with very comfortable pads. The only caveat is that with their convertible design, being able to go from closed to open, they don't isolate as well as most closed headphones and they leak a little more sound. Unless your office is dead quiet, I don't think they leak enough to be an issue at moderate volume. They sound great, solid low-end that doesn't overpower the mids, with detailed, exciting highs that aren't harsh. 

One of my old friends loves the Edition S.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 24
If you're looking for big and comfy, check out the Brainwavz HM5's. They're a great set of headphones well within your budget, extremely comfortable and closed-back so your co-workers won't hate you. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 24
  If you're looking for big and comfy, check out the Brainwavz HM5's. They're a great set of headphones well within your budget, extremely comfortable and closed-back so your co-workers won't hate you. 

I saw those earlier today. I was really interested in researching how they sound. I am also interested in the Meze 99 classics. Seems like I have been seeing nothing but praise about them, but they better be darn good for $309. I don't want to spend that much unless I absolutely have to. Heck that's more than I paid for my HD650's. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 24
  I saw those earlier today. I was really interested in researching how they sound. I am also interested in the Meze 99 classics. Seems like I have been seeing nothing but praise about them, but they better be darn good for $309. I don't want to spend that much unless I absolutely have to. Heck that's more than I paid for my HD650's. 

I owned the NVX XPT100, which has the same drivers as the HM5. I thought it sounded mediocre, honestly. It did have excellent comfort, isolation, and aesthetics, at least.

For what it's worth:

I am doing a comparison with the Meze 99 Classics and the MT220, the latter seems to be a slightly better for at-home listening choice.The difference is not huge but with a good setup, there is a difference in soundstaging, air in the higher frequencies and a little added clarity. The 99 Classics is easily the best on-the-go choice, where these subtle differences don't matter much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back