I can't decide
Sep 3, 2002 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
Ok now it's no more mr nice guy. It's time for me to save some money and buy a decent setup. Right now I own a SR 225 and a denon home cd player. I am ok with my setup but I want more. Here is some headphones and amps I am interested in.

Headphones:Sennheiser HD 600-AKG K 501-ATH W2002-Grado RS1-Grado RS2-Sennheiser HD 250-ETYS E4P

Amps-Sudgen headmaster-Grado RA 1-Melos SHA-1-Meta 42-Creek.

What would you pick?

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 14
What type of music do you listen to and how do you like your sound?

I like my sound crispy... I mean slammin.. yes chicken..

Biggie.

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
What type of music do you listen to and how do you like your sound?

I like my sound crispy... I mean slammin.. yes chicken..

Biggie.

Rock and hard rock mostly. I prefer the type of headphone that is very unforgiving of the source. Meaning headphones that are very reavealing. I have the Sr 225 if I just want a fun headphone that is not too revealing although it can be at times also. Meaning the SR 225.

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

I prefer the type of headphone that is very unforgiving of the source. Meaning headphones that are very reavealing.

Etymotic ER4S and Sugden Headmaster. For just around a grand, it doesn't get much more revealing than that. For portable use, Etymotic ER4P and a META42........almost as revealing for about half the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
or, get the 4p, and the converter cable to 4s.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now THAT's evil.
biggrin.gif

Looks like I should have kept the ETYS off of my list. Everyone is recommending them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 14

I'll second the META42/4X combo, I've been using them for a while now and they do it. I recently bought Senn 580's and they rock with the META42 as well.

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 14
rs-1's get my vote. Amp, well I'm working on that. :p

Biggie.

Sep 4, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 14
Wow, already sold the W100's, aye?
eek.gif
wink.gif

For what it's worth, my next system for rock and well-recorded acoustic music is going to be the RS-1 + the Ear 4/Ear+ or the Moretto. Not the RA-1, though, because although it's definitely a handful of eye candy to look at, I think the RS-1 can do better as far as amps are concerned (and source) and I think it's capable of more because I think it is pretty revealing- or at least that's what I was hypothesizing when I listened to it.

I was also pondering whether or not to sell the W100 for the W2002 and hope that it's a better headphone (as you were considering as well). But the fact that Acidtripwow likes the W100 better than the W2002 makes me wonder . . . And that "cupped hands sound" that it's notorious for scares me too. Although some people really love it . . . so who knows!?!

If I were you, I would ditch the SR225, get a SR325, and then get a RS-1 and a good amplifier to match it.

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 14
Why get the ER-4P if you have a META42? The META42 is more than adequate for the ER-4S and in my view (and in most people's I think), the ER-4S sounds much better.

The W2002 is not in the same league as the W100. I regret a little bit that I had not gotten to hear the W2002 on the Sugden.

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 14
Kelly,

I'm listening to Nick Drake through your 2002s and the Headmaster as I type this! Very very nice. That said I'm not convinced that the 2002s don't sound better through the META that Eric built for me. The META has much tighter and somewhat deeper bass, and seems to be a little smoother on top. However I have some noise issues that I'm still dealing with before I make the permanent switch, and sell the Sugden.

Sep 5, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 14
FYI, someone with a problem similar to yours reported that the noise was powerline dependent - it sounded fine in one place, but when the moved it to another building, it got noisey. I'm beginnning to think the Elpacs aren't terribly good at filtering powerline noise (even though they passed my tests - I must have clean lines!)...

In any case, I'm in the process of looking around for other power supplies (just in case) that meet the same standards as the Elpac, although I haven't had much luck yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back