I can't afford Xonar, what are my other options?
Dec 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

hifiact

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I cannot afford a Xonar STX/ST so what are my other options? I was looking at

Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 Low, which I can get for $60.

My budget is $100, I have a JVC HAX700, I play games and every now and then I want quality music, once I have enough funds I'll get the Xonar ST.

I currently have a Asus Xonar DG.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 45
At that price, the Auzentech X-Fi Forte is quite a good deal. It has proper gaming audio support and as good sound quality as price competing products.

Further down the line, you would do better to upgrade to a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD instead of an Asus Xonar Essence ST, both cards being on the same level, with the Titanium HD having a slightly better DAC and full gaming audio support.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 45
For your listening habits, and providing all features and processing options, yes.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:
Not that I have used one but th titanium hd is only $105 on amazon. It was $90 for black friday and has been in flux since from $100 to $124.

That's an excellent price, and it's truly the best card for the OP. Last time I saw the prices, they were roaming the $125 mark.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:
Less distortion. You can check the specs.

Where can I find those specs (not of the DAC chip, but the entire card) ? I have only found 0.001% for the line output (backed up by some Audio Precision measurements), and that is worse than that of the Xonar STX (and even D1), even if inaudible and not really an issue in practice. The Creative card seems to have a very slight bass roll-off, too. One area where I see potential for the Titanium HD to be better is noise at 44.1 kHz, but I did not find any measurements of it at 44.1 kHz/24-bit.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Where can I find those specs (not of the DAC chip, but the entire card) ? I have only found 0.001% for the line output (backed up by some Audio Precision measurements), and that is worse than that of the Xonar STX (and even D1), even if inaudible and not really an issue in practice. One area where I see potential for the Titanium HD to be better is noise at 44.1 kHz, but I did not find any measurements of it at 44.1 kHz/24-bit.

Like I said before, the Titanium HD DAC chip has lower THD than Essence STX DAC chip, which is what I was referring to.

Marginal differences can still be accounted for. After all, we're on Head-Fi, are we not?

Noise levels are better at 24/48 and 24/96, rather than 24/44.1.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:
Like I said before, the Titanium HD DAC chip has lower THD than Essence STX DAC chip, which is what I was referring to.

The analog specs in the datasheets seem to be the same for both, the main differences are in the digital interface. In any case, the implementation is more important, that is why I prefer to see actual measurements of the device, not just the chip specs copied and pasted (based on those alone, the NuForce uDAC2 would be great, for example).

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

The analog specs in the datasheets seem to be the same for both, the main differences are in the digital interface. In any case, the implementation is more important, that is why I prefer to see actual measurements of the device, not just the chip specs copied and pasted (based on those alone, the NuForce uDAC2 would be great, for example).

Fair enough, implementation is indeed important. Still, chip choice is also relevant, with both chips being very similar.

However, the Titanium HD continues to be a better option for the OP, if he can get one at the price alv4426 mentioned.

Ah, the not so lovely channel imbalance of the uDAC2. It's a shame the remarkable review of it by a certain member can't be linked here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back