I broke my Schiit Magni! Need some help.
Aug 7, 2014 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gruber277

New Head-Fier
Alright, so I broke my Magni. Long story short, I plugged the wrong power cord into it, flicked it on, and it died. On the inside, there's no popped capacitors or visible signs of components being fried. I have desoldered and removed the power jack, and will be replacing it, because I'm hoping that was the only thing damaged. What do you guys think? I'm not going to send it to Schiit for repairs, as the shipping is about as much as buying a brand new unit. I'm going to attempt to fix it myself for the learning experience and would like your input! If I fail to fix it, eh, whatever. I'll buy another.
All I can think to tell you is that the power cord I did plug into it was for my Grace Digital Bluetooth Amplifier*, and all the info it has on it is that it takes DC, while the Magni takes AC. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Please ask questions and give me some tips on how to fix it! :D

Thanks!

*The amplifier is awful, I do not recommend it.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 7
How can the amp be awful based on what you said?
  Alright, so I broke my Magni. Long story short, I plugged the wrong power cord into it, flicked it on, and it died. On the inside, there's no popped capacitors or visible signs of components being fried. I have desoldered and removed the power jack, and will be replacing it, because I'm hoping that was the only thing damaged. What do you guys think? I'm not going to send it to Schiit for repairs, as the shipping is about as much as buying a brand new unit. I'm going to attempt to fix it myself for the learning experience and would like your input! If I fail to fix it, eh, whatever. I'll buy another.
All I can think to tell you is that the power cord I did plug into it was for my Grace Digital Bluetooth Amplifier*, and all the info it has on it is that it takes DC, while the Magni takes AC. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Please ask questions and give me some tips on how to fix it! :D

Thanks!

*The amplifier is awful, I do not recommend it.

How can the amp be awful based on what you've just said. Be reasonable, you plugged in a wrong dc power cord for crying out loud.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Aug 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 7
  He was talking about this amp, not the Schiit.

Apparently some are not aware of how asterisks are used for footnotes, or why use footnotes at all.*

*One reason for which is to minimize clutter in the main paragraph/s. For example academic writing requires that paragraphs be clear and concise, but sometimes there are necessary details that cannot be completely ignored.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Hah. Yeah, no, the Schiit is amazing and perfect for me. The Grace Digital jank has a constant white noise playing through the speakers, and it's loud enough to be noticed across the room. It only has 7 volume options, and 1 is barely audible, then 2 is too loud, or if you're farther away, 2 is too quiet, 3 is too loud. It's a vicious cycle. Does anyone have any ideas?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote: From the Schiit website FAQ
  Hey, I have a buttload of wall-warts for routers, phone chargers, talking desk figurines, etc. What if I accidentally plug in the wrong wall wart?
Most likely nothing. Most other wall-warts are DC. Unless you supply Magni with AC, the relay will never connect the output to your headphones.

Maybe you just got unlucky.

If you are familiar with how the amplifier circuit is meant to work you could try turning it on and probing around with a multimeter to work out where the signal stops. Check everything before the relay since Schiit says it shouldn't engage if it sees a DC power source. I searched on Google for a schematic of the Magni but couldn't find one, so you'll just have follow the traces on the PCB. Although if you don't know what exactly is meant to be going on this might not tell you anything, and if you really have no idea what's going on it might be dangerous to poke around inside a live amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back