I bought the RS-60s on impulse today...
Mar 10, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AdamP

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to see what the fuss was all about... what can I say? Haha...

I was in the store for like 40 minutes swapping between the SR-80 and the SR-60. For some reason, to me, the SR-60 had more bass and resolved the high end in a more natural manner. The high end of the SR-80 sounded a little bit thin and too airy. Cymbals and whatnot seemed somewhat compressed and sibilant. The boxes were freshly opened so both of them were not even powered up until my demoing. Is this typical? I've heard that then SR-80s have more bass... that's not really my general impression.

I have to say I've been listening to them for the past couple hours and I love the way they resolve the mid and high end compared to my DT-770Pro/80s. They are a nice step-up from something like the PX-100.
Comfort wise, they are very comfortable... no pain whatsoever.

What can I expect with the burn in?

The other thing I kind of realized is that they buzz a little (very very slightly) on impactful deep bass.

I think it could just be the iPod amp running out of steam though. I normalize all my songs to 87dB so that I have some headroom on the amp so the EQ can do it's work with no clipping.

Overall though, I have come to the conclusion that Grado is awesome.

Now, the question is... what is the "basshead" phone in the Grado lineup?

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 19
definately related to the pad difference. I can only assume the comfies on the SR-60 would allow them to have a more solid bottom end than the bowls on the SR-80's. Now about the highs...not sure. You should have tried swapping pads!

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
Now, the question is... what is the "basshead" phone in the Grado lineup?

Glad you're enjoying them!

PS. you don't wanna go there
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 19
sticking to the Grado SR/RS and Alessandro lines, how would you rank all the phones in terms of bass impact/quantity?

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 19
i did a direct comparison for about 40 minutes in a hi-fi store out of an RA-1 amp between the 325i and 225. 325i had noticeably more and deeper bass than 225 to my ears.

can't comment on the others.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
PS-1 is the basshead. BY FAR

/thread

x2... its the bassiest thing Ive ever heard. Even more so than the DT770, which IMHO has some aggressive upper mids to help balance out the spectrum.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 19
If I get bowls on these things, how will the sound change?

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 19
I feel like Grado's got nice bass slam, but is lacking in the lower bass department. They don't reach as low as other headphones...

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I feel like Grado's got nice bass slam, but is lacking in the lower bass department. They don't reach as low as other headphones...

depends on model and amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back