I bought Beyerdynamic DT 770
Jan 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lundster

New Head-Fier
Hello, i asked a question earlier on head-fi regarding a headphone for gaming and music. Most of my replys mentioned these headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-A900/AD900 and Beyerdynamic DT 770/880

Read a few reviews about Audio Tecnica A900 and heard its not good for long sessions of gaming. And looked on DT 770 it seems to be a lot better from the reviews i've read. Well i bought Beyerdynamic DT 770 for 1800 Norwegian krones, tried it the first time on my dads reciever and i loved its bass and dad the same, however. I felt it wasn't as good as my previous headphone for long-sessions of gaming. It gets hot and i felt it got uncomfy after a few hours because of the ventilation and the headphones pressing my ears together.

Considering at the moment new headphones i prefer something more open, to get some ventilation and not a headphone squeezing my ears together.

Isolation isnt a requirement at all, the reason i bought DT 770 was because it seems to deliver more then any other headphones in the same price range.

I love Audio Technica ATH-911 if anyone have used any of those, its really comfy, but some of the pieces in the ear monitor seems to fell off, or isn't "screwed" properly because i hear some loose each time i play loud music/shaking the headphone. This is the reason i want new headphones and because my gaming headphones called Sennheiser PC161 are rubbish, these small screws keeping it together seems to soon fell off.

Im looking for headphones around the price range 209 Euro, thats almost what i paid for my DT 770.

Going to use these for around 60-70% gaming and 30-40% music.
And my music genres are rock,metal,DnB,Techno,Dance
Pretty much everything.

EDIT: And im not going to buy DT 880 in Norway, if anyone responds me those. They are at price of 283 Euro in Norway :/
http://i39.tinypic.com/2qn89w3.jpg

:>

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 12
The 770 headband is metal. It can be stretched a lot without breaking. Stretch it out to reduce the clamping force, and you will find them much more comfortable!

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 12
I hate to say this, but few headphones are more comfortable than the DT770. If you don't like its comfort, you either learn to get used to it, or you'll need to stay away from headphones altogether.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 12
I can't be the only one having problems with closed headphones and its design.
What i think about DT770's ear pads so far, is that its just for isolation.
The pads are hard :<

EDIT:

Are there soft earpads to DT770?
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 12
I find the ear pads on my DT-770's to be very soft and cushy and cradle my ears with love.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Really??? I mean-- seriously! I just don't know what to say. I've tried phones with velour before and it's damned amazingly comfy. I dont' know how you can get softer than velour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lundster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT:

tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lundster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT:

tongue.gif

I agree with you that the pads are rather hard. To me they weren't the most comfortable headphones neither. Although the pads will get a bit softer over time, they will remain stiff.
Softer pads are not a good idea because they will ruin the sound. The stock pads are responsible for the isolation, but also for a part of the sound.
You could try the EDT 330 S soft PVC pads. They are a little bit softer and doesn't alter the sound too much.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Im considering to deliver my DT770 back, to get a open one. Because i don't really need the isolation.
Going to use it home and have no issues with background noise. Are there any good open headphones as good as DT770?
At the same price range?

Anyway, if im not delivering. Can anyone tell me how much they've played with these headphones without beeing annoyed by warm ears?
Im playing for around 7-8 hours in the weekends and im wondering if im going to have issues with hot ears?

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 12
Aren't there replacement pads that are made from gel? Perhaps softer but I would not think any cooler. I can not imagine any ear pad that would not make my ears warm/hot after wearing them for 7-8 hours. How about taking a break now and then.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't there replacement pads that are made from gel? Perhaps softer but I would not think any cooler. I can not imagine any ear pad that would not make my ears warm/hot after wearing them for 7-8 hours. How about taking a break now and then.

Yes, there are gel pads: beyerdynamic Shop*-*Ohrmuschelsatz EDT 300 GS, gelgefüllt schwarz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back