I bet you didn't expect HeadRoom's K701 graph to look like this...
Mar 12, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #121 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I'd love to see a graph for the 240DF actually. HeadRoom don't seem to have one. Are there any? I've always been curious about that headphone.

K240DF
ra47e1.jpg

From head-fi member j-curve.

For reference, the K240S measures like this
ra4swk.jpg

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #122 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
seems like the hd650 seem to have the flatest frequency response out of the lot

Really? Going by the graph, they should sound bass heavy and severely rolled off in the treble. And they certainly do, compared to my Stax. But it's all relative I suppose. If loudspeakers measured the way those headphones do, they'd be unlistenable.

I think Tyll's post indicated it's just a bit of a guideline. It does not tell you if it's good or bad bass, just bass. Seems many people here are using those measurements to tell them what they think they should be hearing. Can you hear everything? Is it relatively balanced? If yes, enjoy your music.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #124 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Really? Going by the graph, they should sound bass heavy and severely rolled off in the treble.

The summarized graph shows the upper treble is actually lower in the K701 than in the 650. Lower average but also with a slightly larger deviation though. Anyway their treble difference lies mostly in the lower treble, where the response of the K701 is higher, its average very close to zero and its deviation bringing it above and below zero, while the Senn even with its deviation remains below zero.

By the way, the lower treble is where the DT880 has its prominent peak, so indeed as reviews have pointed out, in terms of brightness or balance, or at least with respect to their lower treble responses, the K701 truly appears in between the 880 and the 650.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #125 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
What are those measurements from? Microphone, dummy head?

I have no idea. You may do a search, since they were posted here. They look nice, anyway.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #126 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
K240DF
ra47e1.jpg

From head-fi member j-curve.

For reference, the K240S measures like this
ra4swk.jpg

Unfortunately, j-curve could not get enough output out of that portable player and K240DF combo. And everything below about 70Hz is background noise, not the actual measurement. So the K240DF measurement is meaningless.

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #127 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Like I said, transient response is not measured this way. bass punch has only a llittle to do with the graphs at most. Think of it this way... turn up a mediocre 15" woofer and you get a measurement then turn up a good 15" woofer take the measurements. The good one might look better or worse in flatness but at least when you give it specific frequencies to play, it will play them with authority while the bad one will play different frequencies with a different feel of authority(sort of like some frequencies are out of phase). Whatever it is, I told you guys... Graphs are trustworthy only if the transducer is perfectly fast at playing all frequencies. Maybe an electrostatics driver is easier to trust when measured than dynamics. Who knows? Ive experienced these measurements with speakers before that don't make sense unless you take note of the transient characteristics of the drivers.

Exactly why these measurements mean very little as far as the lower frequencies go anyway. They tell nothing of the quality of reproduction.

Also, higher frequencies will be much more ear and hearing specific due to ear shape and very common (and not known) hearing damage.

I've had hearing tests done every year for the past 15 years. When I was 18 my test showed good hearing overall but a left ear decrease in perception of 50 at 6Khz, (whatever that means) but the rest of my hearing was 0 or -5 or -10s. But even with this result I was told that my hearing was better than average and it hasn't gotten worse in the past 15 years.

Before you trust someone else in any subjective review of audio equipment you might want to know their hearing test results, if they have ever been tested.

I have a friend who loves all kinds of music (he considers himself an audiophile too) as I do and he can't hear a 6khz tone from a few feet away when it hurts my ears to stand next to it. I have a tone generator at work and we always play with the frequencies and seeing what we can do to annoy people sometimes. Surprisingly everybody is annoyed by a different tone. Nobody agrees on which is the worst and that has to mean something when comparing things like headphones and speakers.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #129 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Interesting point! If your point is that K701s are not for bassheads
basshead.gif
, despite the as-measured (correct or not) elevated bass response, it's a point worth making and a point well-taken!

Notice that the bass peak is about 2 db higher than the treble peak in the K701 curve, and also for the HD595 curve. Thus the bass relative to the treble might be perceived as about the same -- i.e., close to perfect -- for both phones. The main difference seems to be that the HD595 midrange is more upfront, so to get more bass and treble impact you'd have to crank the volume a little more on the HD595s.

This thread is very interesting. Perhaps you could view the K701 as a headphone that would be more fulfilling at low to moderate volumes than the HD595, given the ear's lower sensitivy to these refequencies. Or, alternatively, you could view the HD595 as a headphone that would sound a little less shrill at higher volumes. Does this ring true, based on anyone's personal experience?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, this appears to be state-of-the-art design -- the manufacturers appear to be accomplishing very nearly exactly what they want to do.

Great thread!

Sorry, i got confused.

So, which one has stronger (louder or more audible? ) or more aggressive bass, HD595 or K701. Which one sounds more "fun" on that department?

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #132 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Just created a summarized graph for the AKG K501, have wanted to do this for a while. Here it is compared to the other headphones for which I had created similar graphs:

freq-resp-headphones_K501_.jpg

Summarized_Response_K601.JPG

Summarized_Response_K701.JPG

Summarized_Response_DT880.JPG

Summarized_Response_HD650.JPG

Are these figures for the newer DT 880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back