I am trying to reach a consenus of opinion

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by pogouldiwitz, Mar 7, 2008.
First

Back
  1. Pogouldiwitz
    It doesn't seem that AKG 501 headphones are still available? Are they good for classical music?

2. Uncle Erik Contributor
    Classical? Orchestral? And no one has recommended the AKG K-501? That's the headphone you want. They have one of the best overall tonal balances I've heard at any price and are terrific with any acoustic music.

There are a couple of drawbacks. One, the K-501 is discontinued, but it turns up. It's nothing rare or collectable, but you might have to keep an eye out to find one. Two, it needs an amp. You might have to spend another $150-$300 to make it sing. But it is worth it; check out the K-501 threads here.

Barring that, the Beyerdynamic DT880 also does a great job. It doesn't quite have the cohesion of the K-501 with acoustic material, but it is an excellent performer.

I'd spend the extra money to get either of these than one of the $100 or so offerings. Both give you a good taste of the best the headphone world has to offer.

3. daveDerek Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Classical? Orchestral? And no one has recommended the AKG K-501?

unc, look up 3 posts before yours - indeed they were mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogouldiwitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    It doesn't seem that AKG 501 headphones are still available? Are they good for classical music?

yup, they are good for classical. nope, they aren't in production anymore, but they do show in the fs forum. ck my previous post for approximate prices and for a couple of amp recommendations.

4. Pogouldiwitz
    Speaking of amps, other than amplification issues, what role does a discman play in the sound quality? In other words, say I get one the headphones you guys recommend, and I get an amp, say a bithead, what kind of sound will I be getting if Im using an average discman?

5. daveDerek Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogouldiwitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Speaking of amps, other than amplification issues, what role does a discman play in the sound quality? In other words, say I get one the headphones you guys recommend, and I get an amp, say a bithead, what kind of sound will I be getting if Im using an average discman?

source, like any other part of the chain, is a limiting factor. still, better cans will hopefully up your enjoyment level.

6. ericj
    I've not heard them myself but i'll take a stab in the dark that at the $100-$200 price point, for at-home listening of classical music, the Goldring DR-150 may be a possible candidate.

They are one of the few dynamic 'phones I'm still curious about.

7. radiohlite
    i'd second the Sony V6/7506 plus a Cmoy amp if you can. sound very neutral, especially for chamber. orchestras don't necessarily have a lot of warmth (ambience is sacrificed somewhat) but the timbral integrity of all the instruments, especially woodwinds is great. pianos also sound very realistic. and the bass is awesome. try them with a Telarc recording if you want to see what i mean!

First

Back