I am thinking of Upgrading my SHP 9500 phillips to a Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250
Nov 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Denon2010

Formerly known as Denon5220
As the title says what do you guys think?

The highs in the SHP 9500 seem to be too much for me and I am contemplating what the bass like might be with a closed beyer.

The phillips while it has decent bass for an open back it really lacks really really lacks bass

Anyone knows the difference with bass in Closed and Open Back Beyer?

Also will I likely like the Beyer?

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 10
I have not tried the SHP 9500 before but I own the DT-990. I listen to a wide range of music from EDM to Classical.

I wouldn't say the DT-990's bass will rock your skull but it's definitely better in that category than my Sennheisers which severely lacks bass to my ears.

I do have a grudge about these headphones, certain tones sound way too bright for me (ex. Rihanna's voice), kind of sibilant. Maybe Rihanna's voice is just like that and the brightness of these headphones magnify it. This was much more pronounced when the headphone was new and now that I've used it for years, maybe my ears adapted or maybe it's finally pass the 'burn in' period.

If skull shattering bass is what you're looking for, maybe try something else. If you're like me and listen to a wide range of music and need something to accommodate every genre without having to switch headphones then these are great for that purpose.

Definitely good bang for your buck.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 10
  I have not tried the SHP 9500 before but I own the DT-990. I listen to a wide range of music from EDM to Classical.

I wouldn't say the DT-990's bass will rock your skull but it's definitely better in that category than my Sennheisers which severely lacks bass to my ears.

I do have a grudge about these headphones, certain tones sound way too bright for me (ex. Rihanna's voice), kind of sibilant. Maybe Rihanna's voice is just like that and the brightness of these headphones magnify it. This was much more pronounced when the headphone was new and now that I've used it for years, maybe my ears adapted or maybe it's finally pass the 'burn in' period.

If skull shattering bass is what you're looking for, maybe try something else. If you're like me and listen to a wide range of music and need something to accommodate every genre without having to switch headphones then these are great for that purpose.

Definitely good bang for your buck.

Thanks dude so you are saying Open Back Beyer has such good bass? I thought bass was not possible in open back headphones? is there something I am missing?

If the 990 are open back and have such good bass why then would anyone buy a closed back Beyerdynamic?

I personally am fine with just about any beyer once I can get a sale on blackfriday.

Are the DT 770 inferior? the lower the number the more inferior the headphone?

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 10
The 990 are v shaped. I would never recommend a v shaped heapphone, but if you don't listen to much vocals or instruments such as piano then you probably won't be too bothered.
The dt880 is generally seen as the best and most neutral headphone while the dt990 is very v shaped and has the widest soundstage. The dt770 will have the smallest soundstage and still have that v shaped sound although not as much treble as the dt990

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 10

Thanks dude so you are saying Open Back Beyer has such good bass? I thought bass was not possible in open back headphones? is there something I am missing?

If the 990 are open back and have such good bass why then would anyone buy a closed back Beyerdynamic?

I personally am fine with just about any beyer once I can get a sale on blackfriday.

Are the DT 770 inferior? the lower the number the more inferior the headphone?

Since it's open it won't have as much bass as closed. If bass is your main focus then definitely consider a closed pair.

I wouldn't say the 770 or the 880 are inferior, it's a matter of personal preference.

The 990 are v shaped. I would never recommend a v shaped heapphone, but if you don't listen to much vocals or instruments such as piano then you probably won't be too bothered.
The dt880 is generally seen as the best and most neutral headphone while the dt990 is very v shaped and has the widest soundstage. The dt770 will have the smallest soundstage and still have that v shaped sound although not as much treble as the dt990

Yeah, the DT-990 is V shaped and I agree with akg fanboy that vocal and piano will sound better on other headphones such as my Sennheisers which are more neutral.

I guess I can describe the DT-990 as adding a bit of fun to the sound.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Ok well I should mention that my main music are vocals I have the entire Lana Del Rey, John Legend, Pink Floyd and Bob Marley collection so I must not under any circumstance sacrifice vocals those voices deserves nothing but the absolute best. I am gonna make a wild guess and assume the HD555 senns and SHP 9500 phillips are netural. I have both and I love both but the phillips knocks out the HD 555 for some reason its clearer and more detailed not sure if its because of the 9500 boosted highs.

So I suppose in this regard I should be looking at the DT 880 and 770 I will admit one of the reasons for getting the phillips is because I live in a humid tropical climate so open back headphones breathe a lot. But because the beyer is fabric pads it may also allow some breathing even if its closed back.

Ideally the perfect beyer for me would be an open back. Are there any open back beyer you all recommend? please note it must have noticeably better bass than sennheiser I am not a bass head or anything like that I do NOT listen to electronic music like trance etc I am more into Piano Music, Lana Del Rey, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Elvis and Adelle, etc.

I use a SMSL SD 793 II DAC AMP so I assume it will run literally anything even 600ohm headphones.

But because its Digital Optical connection adjusting bass from my PC will be an issue because from what I have seen adjusting an EQ while in a digital signal is a complete no no.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 10
I have an SHP9500 and a DT990/600. I find them to be quite similar sounding, although the DT990 is a little more refined sounding and has a bit larger soundstage. The DT990 is fun phone, very comfortable, and you have plenty of bass and treble to work with to EQ it into a sound signature that you like - even flat if you want. If you go with a DT880, you'll have a smaller soundstage.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 10
  Ok well I should mention that my main music are vocals I have the entire Lana Del Rey, John Legend, Pink Floyd and Bob Marley collection so I must not under any circumstance sacrifice vocals those voices deserves nothing but the absolute best. I am gonna make a wild guess and assume the HD555 senns and SHP 9500 phillips are netural. I have both and I love both but the phillips knocks out the HD 555 for some reason its clearer and more detailed not sure if its because of the 9500 boosted highs.

So I suppose in this regard I should be looking at the DT 880 and 770 I will admit one of the reasons for getting the phillips is because I live in a humid tropical climate so open back headphones breathe a lot. But because the beyer is fabric pads it may also allow some breathing even if its closed back.

Ideally the perfect beyer for me would be an open back. Are there any open back beyer you all recommend? please note it must have noticeably better bass than sennheiser I am not a bass head or anything like that I do NOT listen to electronic music like trance etc I am more into Piano Music, Lana Del Rey, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Elvis and Adelle, etc.

I use a SMSL SD 793 II DAC AMP so I assume it will run literally anything even 600ohm headphones.

But because its Digital Optical connection adjusting bass from my PC will be an issue because from what I have seen adjusting an EQ while in a digital signal is a complete no no.

For vocals and mids, there is no headphone I would ever recommend more than my akg k601. But since you wanted stronger bass, I think the hifiman he560 is a good headphone to recommend if that is not too expensive for you. 
Also the beyers won't sound too bad for female vocals, but male vocals will suffer noticeably.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 10
  For vocals and mids, there is no headphone I would ever recommend more than my akg k601. But since you wanted stronger bass, I think the hifiman he560 is a good headphone to recommend if that is not too expensive for you. 
Also the beyers won't sound too bad for female vocals, but male vocals will suffer noticeably.

whaoo that he560 is faar too expensive. LOL

I was hoping for more around $100 USD. I paid $65 for my shp 9500 and boy was that a money well spent it sounds better than my HD 555 specifically for things like AC/DC I personally find sennheiser really suck with AC/DC or Iron Maiden etc. But they really shine on something that sounds very classic like Lanal Del Rey's "Old Money" song. Which seem to resemble a 1950's song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back