I am so stinkin' sleepy
Nov 28, 2002 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I try my best not to start stupid threads when I have to stay up this long.I can't help it.I'm stuck at this Firehouse until 8:00am and I'm gonna make you guys suffer with me.I have not lay my head on a pillow in over 36 hours.I'm so sleepy I could get a real good night's sleep on a big pile of **** right now.I'm so sleepy I could comfortably rest my head on another man's lap right now.C'mon help me out,how sleepy are you and why the hell are you at the keyboard now.this thread can die tomorrow but I need it tonight.please help me.

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 13
hey..here i am following your thread ! 4:08am got up yesterday at 6:30...

i have very hard time falling sleep...i have final exams and i drink way too much dr pepper...and look..then i can not sleep..heheh

..i can not believe they make you stay up so long!! what if you have to go out for a emergency call or something like that...you can not perform as good as i f you were rested..i guess..

good luck...and even thou i amalso very sleepy i would not take a nap in a POS
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 13
hmm..with papers and labs due this week, and finals to prepare for (which i'm completely clueless about) will do it.

plus the two cups of coffee i drank last nite kept me up till 3am. i have nothing on tuberoller, but 7 hours of sleep in the past 36 hours is a bitch.

Nov 29, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Well,I am home now and eating turkey.I did get some sleep and it felt goooooooood!!!!!!

I have been very busy with my contracting business lately and never got a chance to get any sleep before starting my 24 hour shift at the Fire Dept.I have been hanging Christmas lights this entire week and actually had to rent 3 bucket trucks besides the two that I own to get these jobs done.I work 24 hour shifts at the firehouse and get 48 hours off between shifts.When It is really busy like it was last night/this morning I won't get much sleep.Typically I get some sleep when I am at a house which is not so busy.

Nov 29, 2002 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 13
I don't know how you guys do that. If I stayed up that long I would be so stressed out it would turn me into an *******. Even I wouldn't want to be around me. If I don't get 8 hours of sleep a day I'm worthless.

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I don't know how you guys do that. If I stayed up that long I would be so stressed out it would turn me into an *******. Even I wouldn't want to be around me. If I don't get 8 hours of sleep a day I'm worthless.

I sometimes do this due to my job.
My motto: I'll get enough sleep when I'm dead!
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I'm so sleepy I could comfortably rest my head on another man's lap right now.

Yikes

Nov 29, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
I sometimes do this due to my job.
My motto: I'll get enough sleep when I'm dead!
tongue.gif

It may come sooner than you think if you don't get enough sleep:

http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1685.53362

"Sleep loss also took its toll. Men who got five or fewer hours of sleep on average -- or for at least two nights a week -- had a double, or even triple, risk of heart attack.

Sleep deprivation and lack of rest in the very recent past may act as triggers, authors suggest.

Chronic lack of sleep can increase blood pressure and heart rate while chronic stress may induce abnormalities in heart function, authors say. The combination of the two could increase the activity of nerves in the heart to the point where it triggers a heart attack."

Make sure you're at least catching up on weekends, guys. It's really NOT good for you to get less sleep than your body needs.

Nov 29, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 13
firefighters are a different breed though, after some time on the job you get used to lack of sleep, sleep interrupted and that sort of thing, what I find the worst is when you get to bed for like 3 or 4 hours and then get a call, you know, in that good deep sleep and then the tones go off and almost blow you to the floor, after the call I find it very hard to get back to sleep. But then again I guess it's my job and my passion, so I'll take a few sleepless nights to do something that I love......

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Hey Tube, what kind of bandwidth do you pull over there @ the firehouse? Just looking for a reason to become a fire fighter -- you know, code on the off hours.
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Hey Tube, what kind of bandwidth do you pull over there @ the firehouse? Just looking for a reason to become a fire fighter -- you know, code on the off hours.
tongue.gif

All the newer houses use DSL and cable modems but we have to share the connections and time is allotted based on senority.I bring my own laptop and just hook up.At older houses there is the phone line.

My sleep habits have been formed around this job all well.I can't ever really get into a deep sleep.Since Chicago went to the Advanced Life Support Engines to take what are supposed to be ambulance calls,the number of runs at some houses has nearly doubled and sleep is almost impossible.I move around as a "floater" from house to house and sometimes I get lucky and find myself at a "retirement house" ( a really slow house with a lot of older firefighters) and get a good days and nights sleep.This happens very infrequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back