I am reborn
May 5, 2002 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

binary_digit

100+ Head-Fier
Well friends, I have just come home from a day of headphone heven and here are my findings

I want a pair of HD600's so bad it's a sin.

The ppl amp performed better than I could have imagined after they finally let me plug it in. they had this sad excuse for an amp called the X-can and a wooden cased Grado.

I love having better sound than the snobophiles who sale it.

The Grado phones were to uncomfortable for use and didn't sound that great.

I realize that this post would be better placed in a different forum but this is were I feel most at home and couldn't wait to tell you.

Thats all I wanted to say.

Later

May 5, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Great! Boy try not to insult Grado's since the grado Army has spies all over the Place, however team Sen. i am sure is glad thay have a new member.

You have it folks my amp with all those capacitors and lot's of available output Current sounds great evean on Hi Z (HD-600's)
Could this indicate it is not just for grado's and sony's anymore?

May 5, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 7
It is not my intention to discredit any product that so many are happy with. I am sorry to any that may have been offended by my coments.

The comfort factor is very important to me and as many of you could atest, the grados are not the most comfortable.

But the sound although very clean was very mid and high friendly. I turned on the bass boost and it seemed more rounded and kind to my mid and high sensative ears. but this is my preference to sound. We look for precision in these ranges and they give it in spades but it seemed almost overload to me.

The senns on the other hand could be argued that they do not keep the same fidelity as the grados do. But in order to say such a thing I would be claiming to have access to the original recording session. Do we know what was used by the engineer's ? I can say only this, In my experience of recording sessions at triad studios in seattle that the equipment used are little more than high midfi if there ever was such a thing.

I should have said "This is my opinion".

I recall in a recent listening session with ppl that we disagreed on the sound of the V600's and the V6's. Both very happy with our own personal opinions sat and enjoyed the tune.

The highest fidelity for me is a goal but the enjoyement of the medium is the perpetual reward along the way.

In the end, this is what will determine what equipment I keep in my personal collection.

Again I must say:
Listen to what you like and I promise I will as well.

P.S. All future posts by me should always be taken as my own personal opinion, I could be wrong.

Later

May 5, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Don't worry, we know what you mean!
smily_headphones1.gif

Since audio, by its very properties, is totally subjective, I automatically add a 'in my opinion' to every single thing I read. If someone says headphone A sounds 'bad' and headphone B sounds 'good', there is no frame of reference for that comment. There is no way of telling if that will be my experience as well.

People browbeat one another quite a bit about their headphone choices, but the fact of the matter is that if someone likes what they hear, then they have the right headphone!

Reading people's opinions is valuable, because it lets you know what sort of things to look for, and what sort of things to possibly avoid. If lots and lots of people like one headphone, and quote benefits of the same type you are looking for, then thats a phone that could be worth a try for you. But if it turns out you don't like it, then it doesn't mean you are 'wrong', it just means you didn't like it.

So anyway.. I'm glad you found a pair of headphones you like
smily_headphones1.gif
and don't worry about any grado comments. People who like grados know that they have the right headphone for themselves, and shouldn't be bothered that there is some person out there who didn't like them as much as they do. No harm done.
smily_headphones1.gif

peace,
phidauex

May 7, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 7
phidauex:
Great reply i totaly agree, I mentioned the grado issue because i have seen lots of arguments on this issue over in the headphone section. Oh BTW True if it sounds good to you then it is all good since you will be the one listening to the sound.

May 7, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 7
I too was unimpressed by the RA-1. IMO, my $30 Cmoy sounded almost exactly the same with my HD580s. But The RA-1 wasn't designed for the Senns and is supposed to sound amazing w/ grados.

Quote:

after they finally let me plug it in

Did they give you a hard time about plugging it in? When i went to audition a cdp the guy gave me no trouble about hooking up my own amp. He did, however, insist that he hook it up (which was fine, but he hooked it up to the tape output of a reciever, so I didn't just get the sound of the cdp).

I think he would have reacted differently if I had brought in a full size headphone amp. My Cmoy is somewhat non threatening, my next amp will look rather mean....

May 8, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 7
I can somewhat understand the hesitation of Sales People's concerns of someone wanting to connect there home built Amp to there Expensive Headphones or Loudspeakers as a malfuntion of the Amp could result in Distruction of the transducers. unlike connecting an Amp to there source where a Amp malfuntion in most cases will not harm the source. at least i havent heared of this happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back