I am new. I am also ashamed. Suggestions please
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Narynan

Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

So, I have lurked here for about 2 weeks. Learned alot of things, and I feel dizzy current because my head is swimming with so much new knowledge. However lets get to the problem at hand...

I am looking for a new set of headphones. However, I already have a less than stellar set for gaming, and just the size and feel of them have made me want to upgrade my less than stellar, more like crappy Logitech iBuds. I am currently using... *gulp* the Creative Fatal1ty headset for my primary headphones.

Amazon.com: Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset: Electronics

Now please go easy on me, these... while good for gaming and producing pretty good sound *I really dont know* just don't cut it for music. So I am looking for something with about the same head profile. But I am not looking for gaming, again I am looking for music headphones.

I am torn between a 70 dollar set of SR-60's // SR-80s, (don't really know the difference between them), and going just way overboard, and getting something like the HD-600's. I am also interested in somewhere in between. I don't think I care weather they are closed or they are open cans. I have used a set of Sony 7506's in the past, and they are just a but to small on my huge / over sized melon. I also have the curse of fairly large ears, so they seem to sit ON my ears, not so much around them.

I listen to music such as
Pop / Alt Rock (Green Day / Zebrahead) Metal (Megadeth, Newer Anthrax, Tool) Female fronted metal (Nightwish / Elis / Within Temptation) and softer rock (Tom Petty, Beatles, Dylan).

Heres a small list of the phones I am coinsering in a loose order from strong to
weak

HD555's / HD600's
SR 60/80
SR 225's
K702's
HD595's

What I will be driving the final choice out of is in order of use
Ipod Tocuh 16G
A PCI-E Creative X-fi
PSP.

I am certain a single smaller amp of SOME kind is in my future. How soon depends on the choice made here.

So looking at my music taste, and the fact that I would prefer 1/8 over 1/4 as the primary plug, usage consideration, and what I will using it off of... I would for the most part like to drop less than 200 bucks on the choice.

What do you recommend?

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 19
Well, to throw another wrench in your works, have you looked in to the Beyerdynamic DT-770/80 Pros? I have them and love them. I was using them straight out of my computer with a very crappy sound card and they still sounded great to me. Very comfy on my big head. I listen to the same type of music and these do well for me. They also come with the 1/8 plug with a screw on 1/4 adapter. So there is another one to possibly consider.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 19
I am a big fan of both the Grado 60 and the HD 600 but they are different phones. The Grado does not need an amp, even with portable sources, and it is a lively direct sound and the Senn is more refined and laid back. The Senn is more difficult to drive and needs a good suitable amp. Since you are newish to this I would suggest that you listen to the Grado and if you like it, buy it. I find it a good match for the music you like. I like the Grado better with bowls - the Grado 80 comes with them and in my experience break in is important with the Grados - they sounded much more open after break in, so you may want to be patient. Not that the Senns is bad - it is very very good, but neither phone is everybody's cup of tea. While I do recommend the Grado to start, I hope that you will have the chance of listening to both.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about two different cans, one for the iPod and one for home with your amp?

Because even though the right choice right now will probably not be the right one a year from now when I do get an amp. I am looking for one set, right now. Got to start somewhere, and I don't have alot of money to do this with, because I am starting from scratch. So I think what I would like is a good set of cans, that will grow with me when I do get an amp, and then provide me lots of room to grow after I get use to the amp.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 19
And I agree that the Beyer is also a good alternative, though I tend to like the 880 more than the 770. Not sure about the need for an amp, though.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I agree that the Beyer is also a good alternative, though I tend to like the 880 more than the 770. Not sure about the need for an amp, though.

I read the 880 pretty much need an amp but are thought to be a better headphone then the 770.

And as far as the Grados, another option there is the MS-1. Basically the same but the MS-1's are thought of as a warmer version of the Grado 80. I have the MS-1's and they scream. They sound great but lack the sound stage that I love so much and to my ears can actually be painful due to the brightness. Mine came with the 1/4 pug so I have never heard them unamped. My computer has a 1/8 jack and my amp a 1/4 and I have not bought an adapter yet.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 19
I like they beyer that you showed me Arm, but I think that the 770's are, a bit out of my budget, althought if i got to hear them first I cant say they are out of the question. What is the word on the 660's?

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 19
Here is a pretty good review of them. There are several others too and they seem to all say about the same thing. Not sure what the price is but seems like a good value for the money.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/noo...-phones-99499/

As far as your budget and the Dt-770's, you can get them for $154 shipped new off ebay and if you look around here they sell for about $100 used.

Here is my review of the DT-770/80 Pros before I got an amp. Still need to add to it now that I have an amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...80-pro-392895/

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 19
I would go for HD600, and invest in the proper amp later.
smily_headphones1.gif

This Senn does well with many genre and has more balanced sound than the 650's although it needs amp to show the full potential.

ANYWAY, I may suggest that you should mention your location, too. It's good to know where you locate. So other members may point you out where you can try the cans. Also, you may go to meet other head-fiers to try them too.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 19
Well thanks for the review on the 660's. They are in the price range and look good.

However, I would like to the headphones that I have listed. Reviews ideas? Are some of these known for not being good with that kind of music?

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Surprised nobody told you this yet, but...
Welcome to head fi and sorry for your wallet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back