I am looking for a sub $1100 DAC
Jan 21, 2020 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am looking for a sub $1100 DAC for my setup (see my signature).

I need it to have:
  • great soundstage with excellent imaging
  • great dynamics
  • good resolution
I don't care for the feature sets, measurements or its type. I need something with a quality analog section and at least 2 analog outputs.
It will be paired to my active monitors and a hybrid tube headphone amplifier.

The current contenders:
Any suggestion is welcomed :)

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 10
I enjoy my Topping D70 as I can switch back and forth using a remote between RCA and XLR out (or both). Volume control for my monitors is controlled through the DAC using the same remote and everything performs well, runs cool and sounds great. This unit would come in WAY under budget.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 10
I enjoy my Topping D70 as I can switch back and forth using a remote between RCA and XLR out (or both). Volume control for my monitors is controlled through the DAC using the same remote and everything performs well, runs cool and sounds great. This unit would come in WAY under budget.

Great DAC for sure, but I don't mind spending more so here I am collecting contenders including this one and the new D90.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Having the 70 and no use for Bluetooth I'm passing on the 90. If it's anything like the 70 though it's one hell of a performer. It matches up beautifully with both the THX887 and Gilmore Lite MKii I use.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 10
It may be slightly over the budget , since you have mentioned Gustard , X26 may be a good option. Also u can consider Schiit Gumby.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 10
I'd imagine!!

I'd love D90+THX887. Maybe in the future =D looks ver. good

It's great, but oddly enough I'm preferring the Gilmore. The 887 is insanely fast and detailed but I'm enjoying a bit of warmth and the Gilmore is still decently fast. Likely will sell it, despite it technically being the better performer on paper.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 10
I think the Gustard would be more suitable for you because it has a variable output. I don't think the Ares 2 has that and you would need a preamp between it and your active monitors.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back