I am interested in an iem, with sound like the TF10, but with more bass.
Mar 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SantinoSan

Head-Fier
I recently discovered the TF10s and love the sound from them, but I would like more bass.  Is there any balanced driver iem that has a similar sound signature, but the sub-bass close to that of the Atrios?  I am considering full custom as well as universal. As it is, I can eq the TF10s to have almost enough bass, but it doesn't sound as natural as the Atrios, which may be an issue of dynamic vs balanced.

Thanks 

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 16
The only BA I have heard with as much bass as the TF10 would be the Westone 3 or UM3x 

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 16
The W3 has a lot more bass quantity than the TF10 but I don't think overall it sounds as good. The problem will be finding another BA with more bass that also is as special in treble as the TF10. Everytime I think I find something to surpass the TF10 I've been disappointed.

Edit: W3 bass impact is mid based. I doubt there is a BA with Atrios quality sub bass... maybe JH16?

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 16
Reshelled TF10...I will be comparing a reshell to a universal here within the month.  I sent them back to Kozee along with my universal TF10 for filter repositioning since the treble wasn't quite as sparkly, but there is more deep bass and the mids are brought forward.  

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Reshelled TF10...I will be comparing a reshell to a universal here within the month.  I sent them back to Kozee along with my universal TF10 for filter repositioning since the treble wasn't quite as sparkly, but there is more deep bass and the mids are brought forward.  

I just got my impressions done last night, and will be sending my TF10s to Kozee very shortly.  I think I am going to have them shelled in silicone as it just seems so much more comfortable.  It is good to hear about the bass, as I am a basshead, but also like quality bass too.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 16
I was seriously considering buying another pair of TF10 and having Kozee put all 6 drivers into a shell.  Just not sure how the sound signature would turn out and decided against it.  I like my bass, but this could have turned out not so good.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I have both custom and stock TF10 but the only difference I noticed was slightly more forward mids. Had to send them back for a refit and should get them back today.

There is a big difference for me in deep bass as the universal TF10 has deep bass roll off for me, so you may have a better fit with the universal.  Also, the custom fit is fantastic.

Quote:
I was seriously considering buying another pair of TF10 and having Kozee put all 6 drivers into a shell.  Just not sure how the sound signature would turn out and decided against it.  I like my bass, but this could have turned out not so good.

If you want to spend more, the Kozee Infinity X3 has a lot of bass for a BA, and the deep bass is the most impressive part! You can read my review here.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 16
If average_joe's TF10's deep bass improved, then a reshell seems the best way to go. I sent my TF10's to Kozee sometime last week to get a silicone reshell and they should be here sometime next week.

Also, if you have a Galaxy S phone with the VooDoo sound enhancements, I recommend PowerAmp. It has a bass knob that increases the bass impact and quantity while preserving all of the other frequency ranges. It is what I was using before I sent mine in for reshelling.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 16
So I got mine back tonight and did some a/b testing.  My initial impressions are: there isn't any deeper bass but rather more quantity of the original bass and the mids are also more forward.  I'm guessing this is due to more of a complete seal and deeper insertion.  Bringing out more mids slightly reduces the soundstage.  It's still larger than a lot of IEM's but not as large as the stock soundstage.  It brings vocals closer to you and notes seem thicker with more body.  It reminds me somewhat of the W3, so it's not as airy as the stock TF10.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 16
I use foobar2000 and Electi-Q for my pc setup and a rockboxed ipod for portable.  The TF10 does indeed eq well.  With lots of low-end eq, the bass loses some of the texture...and it is not as effortless as my dynamic drivers.  With a bit of eq, they will play 15Hz at very audible volume...so not much rolloff if any with mine. 

shotgunshane ,

where did you get your reshelled?

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 16
Fisher Hearing (Inearz).  They are the same price as Kozee.

My TF10's also play well with JDS Labs cmoy with bass boost.  Not a bad little amp for $60; no channel imbalance at low volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back