I am feeling like such an idiot. I should have known...
post-1390988
Post #1 of 5

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Okay, what am I ranting about? Winamp. I tried it once before and couldn't get around its ackwardness- this was late last year, I think. I also didn't know how to rip CD's and make line-in recordings via Creative Playcenter, bundled with the SB Live 5.1 soundcard I plan on replacing with a Chaintech AV710. This shows how much I know about my POS computer. Anyway, Playcenter has been giving me crap lately, locking up while some indexer for CDDB notices I've put in the same CD for ripping twice, and it's just a plain laggy program. It also doesn't play in linear sequence like a multimedia player should, and I REALLY HATE that...

Well, out of curiousity, I tried Winamp again yesterday, this is version 5.091. It was hard to get around at first with all the lame default settings, whereas I prefer click/plug & play ease of use, so I get into the preferences and change it for my needs. There's a slew of options that made everything pretty much perfect, along with some great skins and plugins, and now I believe I've found the greatest multimedia hub ever, IMO. It just hit me on the head with a loud THUD...

I have a ton of rips from NES, GB, and SNES files as well, and heard about plugins for Winamp to play them, and this is what dragged me in. I had several multimedia players for each format, and had no idea until yesterday Winamp plays all of them from one convenient place, with my standards of anal high fidelity. So now, I'm playing an obscene amount of music that just a week ago I though would never be possible, and it's just insanely awesome-Playing the soundtrack of Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6 in utmost purity with the Alpha SPC-II plugin is to die for. An actual SNES unit could never sound this good, IMO.
Not only that, but the way the music is being played is nothing short of ideal, so now I feel like a total idiot, not knowing about how frickin' awesome Winamp is. I mean, what the hell was I thinking?

Any commments on my stunning ignorance?

Abe

post-1390994
Post #2 of 5

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
yeah i use the plugin snesamp to play spc files on winamp, its great.

i'm using the new winamp too, the media library is useful. all that free online music video is good too.

post-1390997
Post #3 of 5

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Same happened to me.

As an excuse ..... the handbook/instruction is not stunning imo and having it on line is not convenient either. Searches for keywords - even taken from the menu don't always pop up either.

Just trying to make an excuse ..........

post-1391002
Post #4 of 5

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
yeah i use the plugin snesamp to play spc files on winamp, its great.

Oh yeah, I should mention I'm also using Nosefart for NES sounds and NEZplug for Gameboy/GBcolor sounds(although it has a couple bugs). I also have "Highly Experimental" PSF plugin, but without a good idea of what games have acessible PSF's on them, I'm in the dark on that one(maybe I should just download what's availble from zophar.net?). I reeeeallly wanna play the Ridge Racer V and MGS soundtracks right about now, but get the feeling it ain't gonna happen.
I should also mention that all of the soundtracks and plugins were from zophar.net, and I cannot stress enough how great that site is for vintage gamers like ourselves.

Abe

post-1391006
Post #5 of 5

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Good luck with it! I used winamp for a very long time [it was my first mp3 player
], then I jumped to foobar. Winamp is/was a great player, I never understood people who STILL use mplayer or some jukebox thingy. winamp wips all those around the block.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)