I am currently wearing my brand new Etymotic ER6i's
May 24, 2005 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Bunninator

Head-Fier
The sound quality, and isolation are fantastic so far. I'm not sure how far they're supposed to go into my ear canal and I can't comment on how comfortable they are until the blister in my ear goes away. ;_;

I have one complaint, and this has to do with how flimsy they seem to be. I'm going to be worried using them, because I fear the one of the phones will short out and soon due to the fact that the ends of the wires seem so exposed. Every pair of headphones I've ever owned that weren't retired because of an upgrade have shorted out.

What kind of warrenty do I get with these things? Is there a way to get an extended warrenty? It looks like there's a clip where the wire meets the phone itself that makes it look like you can replace the wires if need be. What does one do in the event that the headphones short out?

May 24, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 20
They do seem rather flimsy, but I have one of the original batch and they've held up fine, although I don't use them everyday. I've even caught the cord on things and had the 'phones yanked out of my ears a few times with no damage done. So, while the build quality looks rather unimpressive, they seem to be able to withstand the rigors of usage.
As for the warranty, I believe it's 90 days, but can be extended to 1 year by registering your 'phones on the Etymotic site.
Their customer service is excellent. I recently sent my ER6i back for a replacement of the sound tube, because the first batch of 6i had a problem with the tips coming off in my ear due to the short length of the tube. They changed over to a longer tube in subsequent runs, similar to the ER4, and I called them to see if they would replace my short tubes. I sent the 6i on a Monday, and received them back the following Monday......complete with new filters and new tri-flange tips.
Hope this helps..........enjoy!

May 25, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 20
I have the Shure e4c earphones and I just pull on my ear upwards and shove them in until they cannot go in any further. I do not know whether this is what I am supposed to do but the quality sounds great. I've been listening to Mudvayne and I must say, it sounds amazing!

Hope this helps.
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
bunninator;
i have a pair of 2 flanged tips from ety, if those 3 flanged are uncomfy. pm me if you want

If those are two-flange tips from the ER6, I don't believe they will fit the ER6i, as the tube is narrower on the 6i.

May 25, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
If those are two-flange tips from the ER6, I don't believe they will fit the ER6i, as the tube is narrower on the 6i.

I'm not sure if they're from the er-6, but they fit my er-6i's when I had em

May 25, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator
Reguardless of what it's for, it's gross, so no thank you.

ha

how many triflange tips come with the er6i's? You could try cutting the smallest flange off, if you think they go too deep. I did this and they fit me much better.
However, if these are your first canalphones, they will take some getting used to. People aren't meant to stick things that deep in their ears.

May 25, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 20
Iw ore them non stop for a few days, while it still feels like your ear is having a prostate exam when you put them in, I can then wear them for 6 or so hours with no discomfort.

May 25, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunninator
How far should they be inserted into your ears.

If you're familiar with the tragus-the cartilage nub on your ear- you can try this: Insert the ER6i earpieces in your ears, with one hand pulling up and out on your ear. Next, stop inserting them when the back part of the earpieces-the white plastic backpiece- sits flush with the end of the tragus. This can make things very comfortable for some users; I use triflange tips for up to ten hours at a time without much of a gripe using this method. Also, to make the seal and the earpiece seat(or settle) better in your ear, once the pieces are inserted, lightly tug on the top, middle, and bottom of your ear. This may cause your ear canal to adjust around the earpieces and the eartips better.

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 25, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 20
You will get used to the tri flanges after a while

They felt uncomfortable and downright wierd at first for me but the sound and isolation made me continue to bear it, the flanges will slightly soften up and your ear will become accustom to them in time.

You might want to try cutting off the smallest flange too if you think they are too long. The smaller flanges with the ends cut off allow for the easier application of getting them in and out of your ears and sometimes for some people adds to the comfort as they are less obtrusive. Others have said that it provides more bass too

Worked for me

And they look brittle and flimsy but they have lasted me very well, the casing broke on one driver but it still works and the cords although you are not meant to pull on them have withstood lots of wiggling and pullling over the last year or so.

They are really good phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back