I am a death metal guitarist moving into an apartment soon.
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

choopashoopa

New Head-Fier
I require a headset that would allow me to play unheard. I need something that won't make my playing sound muddy and awful. I'd also be using them for my listening pleasure. I was told that you guys would be able to help me.

I don't have an endless supply of money, I'd need something in the $50 range. I'm also not a certified audiophile, so I'm not as picky as the rest of you likely are. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 43
For 30 bucks you could go with the Sennheiser Hd 203.  Or figure out a way to demo em.'  I've found them good for all sorts of music.  Death metal included.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 43
That is a tough price range.

Beyer Dynamic DT235 - sounds a lot better than it looks. Reasonable passive isolation
and it provides a fairly unbiased reproduction across the range neither favoring overt bassiness
or hot head treble. This is Headroom's blurb :-

"Don't let the straight-forward looks deceive, the Beyerdynamic DT235 is a terrific 'on-ear' headphone
with a compact, sealed-back design offering mild isolation and impressively balanced sound.
Tight bass and a clear, seamless response in the mids & highs make these small cans a big
contender in the entire sub-$75 sealed headphone category. Low impedance and easy efficiency 
means the DT235 is a terrific portable partner for iPod, iPad, MP3 and laptop listeners.
Under-the-radar, but amazing little contender."

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
Grado SR60i

He is $29USD short, plus it's open 
wink_face.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 43

Quote:
Is there an upside to having them open?

Yes - very much so.

The Grado SR60i will sound much more natural and speaker like than any closed counterpart.

Down side is that outside sound leaks into the ear and out for anyone within 4 metres of you.

For many this is enough to just settle for closed cans even if it means cutting back on
sonic quality.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 43
Open cans give a wider spacial sound to them which for some music is a very desired effect..The only bad part about that is anyone in the same room as you will also hear what you are hearing. So unless you live by yourself an open can might not be a good idea. The Samsons I showed you on my link is a monitor headphone. More than appropriate I think those are perfect for you. Great detail and also has a wide sound stage as well.. Very nice for the cash.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 43

Quote:
He is $29USD short, plus it's open 
wink_face.gif

Buy em used. Grado is ideal for guitars. Trust me i am a metal head.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 43
Thread title of the year (!), and I appreciate the courtesy you are prepared to show your neighbours !

PS melodeath rules, OK ? Repeat after me - Dark Tranquility have the best solos, Dark Tranquility have the best .......

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 43
@dsnuts I think you're right. My roommates will get upset. I'm going to try and demo every pair listed, nevertheless.

@estreeter Dark Tranquility have the best solos! Dark Tranquility is the only melodeath band I know that has always put out good material. The other ones I know either only put out one or maybe two albums (At the Gates, Be'lakor) or dwindled into mediocrity. (In Flames) 

I urge you to go listen to Omnium Gatherum's latest release, it's amazing beyond amazing. Top 3 of the year, undoubtedly.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
@dsnuts I think you're right. My roommates will get upset. I'm going to try and demo every pair listed, nevertheless.@estreeter Dark Tranquility have the best solos! Dark Tranquility is the only melodeath band I know that has always put out good material. The other ones I know either only put out one or maybe two albums (At the Gates, Be'lakor) or dwindled into mediocrity. (In Flames) I urge you to go listen to Omnium Gatherum's latest release, it's amazing beyond amazing. Top 3 of the year, undoubtedly.

I agree. There is many great melodic death metal bands but they either fall to mediocrity or only release a few notable releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back