I am a death metal guitarist moving into an apartment soon.
Oct 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 43
Well the bad news is the Samsons are semi open. .They have big air vents on the back. SO think of them as a medium.. Not open but not closed either... Do you need complete isolation? If so these aren't audiophile grade but these are closed and will also fit your needs. http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-HP541-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black/dp/B002VWJY7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318986981&sr=1-1  Closed.. Sound great for the cash.. Isolates very well. comfortable.. You can Jam in isolation.. Full bore sound on these too. These sound Fantabulous for metal and rock by the way.

The samsons sound to me like what you need but if you want to Jam by yourself so no one else can hear your loudness you need something like those kickers.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 43
We have an ongoing 'I love Opeth / I hate Opeth' thread on one of the Aussie forums, and its astounding the number of people who have almost zero interest in DM per se but are closet Opeth fans. Its all a bit grim for me (hence the melodeath leanings) but there is no denying their musicianship. 

In Flames are a fairly well-documented example of a band who started well and went downhill - a lot of the other bands from that era simply split before they could do the same. Thanks for the tip re OG - I'll chase that up.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 43

Quote:
We have an ongoing 'I love Opeth / I hate Opeth' thread on one of the Aussie forums, and its astounding the number of people who have almost zero interest in DM per se but are closet Opeth fans. Its all a bit grim for me (hence the melodeath leanings) but there is no denying their musicianship. 

In Flames are a fairly well-documented example of a band who started well and went downhill - a lot of the other bands from that era simply split before they could do the same. Thanks for the tip re OG - I'll chase that up.

I adore Opeth lmao, I'm a huge fan, I saw them on October 1st, and while they didn't play any of the death metal that I love, it was still amazing. I hate their new album though, not because of the lack of death metal influencing, but just because the flow was way off. It was full of great ideas and riffs, but few good songs.

Voyager's new album is great too, so catchy. 

@roker, Glad to be of service. 

@estreeter U- Uh-- You don't know that! :xf_mad:

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 43

Quote:
Buy em used. Grado is ideal for guitars. Trust me i am a metal head.

Yeah but that's for guitars played and recorded through proper cabinets first. Loudspeakers for guitar amps (Celestion, Eminence, etc.) are coloured in a way that helps make the distorted signal more palatable. Unless the OP has something like a POD that models cabinets, an amp is going to sound like crap through headphones. I'd much rather prefer just playing with the amp on a very low volume.

OP: Unless you need absolute dead silence, you shouldn't worry about open headphones. To anyone in the room, it'll sound something like if someone took their iPod earbuds out of their ear and left them playing. Your neighbours separated by a wall won't be able to hear them.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 43

Quote:
Yeah but that's for guitars played and recorded through proper cabinets first. Loudspeakers for guitar amps (Celestion, Eminence, etc.) are coloured in a way that helps make the distorted signal more palatable. Unless the OP has something like a POD that models cabinets, an amp is going to sound like crap through headphones. I'd much rather prefer just playing with the amp on a very low volume.

OP: Unless you need absolute dead silence, you shouldn't worry about open headphones. To anyone in the room, it'll sound something like if someone took their iPod earbuds out of their ear and left them playing. Your neighbours separated by a wall won't be able to hear them.

I do not have a POD. 

Then why on earth would small amps have a headphone output? :/

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I'm not sure if I'll have to share a room or not.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
Then why on earth would small amps have a headphone output?

Are you talking about beginner practice amps? Those amps are not meant to sound amazing to begin with. The built in speaker usually doesn't sound much better than the headphone output anyway. The headphone output is for functionality, not tone. I don't know of any tube amps that have a headphone out.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #25 of 43

Quote:
Are you talking about beginner practice amps? Those amps are not meant to sound amazing to begin with. The built in speaker usually doesn't sound much better than the headphone output anyway. The headphone output is for functionality, not tone. I don't know of any tube amps that have a headphone out.

Well, yes. Unfortunately. Like I said in the first post, I don't have an endless supply of money, that and I would have already bought a larger head, but I have to think about the roommates I already have. I'm moving to Europe in January and then I'll buy a proper metal stack. 

Finding a headphone out jack on an all-valve guitar amp is incredibly rare because the integration requires loading the output transformer and filtering the signal for a loudspeaker simulation.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #26 of 43

Quote:
First, would I be able to hear other people with the samsons? Secondly, how loud are the vents?

Yes..Others will be able to hear what you are listening to.. They don't seal out sound like a full closed cup would.  The vents on the outside of the cups open up the sound stage on them giving the Samsons a wider than normal stage...So these are not fully open and not fully closed.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #27 of 43

Quote:
Yes..Others will be able to hear what you are listening to.. They don't seal out sound like a full closed cup would.  The vents on the outside of the cups open up the sound stage on them giving the Samsons a wider than normal stage...So these are not fully open and not fully closed.

But will I be able to hear them? 

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #28 of 43
As a guitar player myself I fully endorse investing in the DBI Pro series, either the 700 or 705 model.  They go for between 30 and 40 on ebay often.  Very robust and well build set.  You will need an extension cable though as the stock cable is short for portable needs.  There is also the JVC HARX700, its a nice big set of clunky headphones with a big sound that is hard hitting, its also dirt cheap.  

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
Finding a headphone out jack on an all-valve guitar amp is incredibly rare because the integration requires loading the output transformer and filtering the signal for a loudspeaker simulation.

Yep, and since there is a preamp and power amp stage that both contribute to tone and distortion characteristics, getting that level of output into a headphone signal is no simple task. I find that amp simulators like the POD are very useful because they sound much better than any practice amp. I think there are also some software based amp simulators that you might be interested in trying. For high gain electric guitar, any decent pair of headphones that aren't horribly deficient in any frequency range should work well since guitar tone is heavily EQed to begin with. So just get something that will sound good for the music you listen to.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #30 of 43

Quote:
Yep, and since there is a preamp and power amp stage that both contribute to tone and distortion characteristics, getting that level of output into a headphone signal is no simple task. I find that amp simulators like the POD are very useful because they sound much better than any practice amp. I think there are also some software based amp simulators that you might be interested in trying. For high gain electric guitar, any decent pair of headphones that aren't horribly deficient in any frequency range should work well since guitar tone is heavily EQed to begin with. So just get something that will sound good for the music you listen to.

To use the simulators you speak of would require a 1/4 inch on one end, and a USB on the other, yes?

Okay, thank you. I do want to make sure it sounds good though, I don't want my tone to sound horrible, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back