I’ve been spoiled…anyone got suggestions on a good portable CDP?
Sep 11, 2002 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bobby C

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been in high-end audio for awhile, but I'm new to the headphone world (with the exception of some Koss cans in the early 70's). I have an excellent CD source for my home rig (Goldmund Mimesis 39DA++) - closest thing I've heard to my turntable. Recently I bought a pair of Ety ER-4ps for travel and just had delivered a JMT built META 42 (awesome work). So using the META with the Goldmund - very nice indeed. No, make that stunning. However, I then switched to an old Panasonic PCDP - maybe 7-8 years old and listening to some of my reference material (Ella's 'Good Morning Heartache' from the gold version of 'Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie'). Man, the heartache, I just couldn't do it. Maybe when I'm on an airplane and not listening too critically, but the details were very disappointing.

This is not the amp's fault, it's great. It's the source. So, is there any portable CD source, regardless of price, that offers anything near a stand-alone system? I'm pretty certain the answer is no, but what are the most recommended PCDPs for sound quality? I'm not interested in skip protection, etc., just the best sound in a small package.

Thanks,
Bob

Sep 12, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Since you don't need a good headphone out, the newer Sony's have a decent line out (compared to other portable CD players). This includes players like the D-EJ01, D-EJ1000, D-EJ925, D-EJ955, etc. I use the EJ955 and its quite good for a portable. No, it's not going to touch your main system. But with a good amp, its quite listenable (it's my desk rig, and I like it a lot!).
(This was written a long time ago, but someone is messing with the router so it's not sending)

Sep 12, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Bobby

There is no such thing as a good portable CD player. The nitpicking you see on head-fi over which is better and why amounts to an overall small difference and an argument of "which sucks the least and why."

If you're going to purchase a new player, I recommend buying one with a digital optical output. The reasons for this will become clear in the coming months as at least one DIYer will be selling a portable DAC. HeadRoom has announced similar plans, though apparently only with their Total Airhead amp.

Sep 12, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 5
The players I listed have optical out, and would make for great use with one of these portable DAC's kelly is talking about. I plan on getting one when they are available. Search the forum here (check the Dallas meeting results) and over at headwize.com for some more info on it. aos is the one building these.

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Older players generally have better sound quality then todays craptacular pcdp's. What model is your panasonic? Oh yeah and wait for purk to reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: are all optical ouptuts the same quality? Kelly I have no where to put a big old cd player so I have to make due with portables. I use my d555 headphone out as my lineout because I it sounds better then my ct570's lineout (my d555 lineout has problems). I think that shows how good the sound of better old players is compared to new players.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back