I’m officially a Shostakovich Fan
Feb 21, 2007 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
This past Valentine ’s Day my girlfriend took me to the San Francisco symphony where they played a variety of different pieces from old to new Feb 14th

I’ve heard his music over the years but never really made an attempt to connect until I got the SACD of his 7th symphony SACD From the first listen I knew it was something that I would really get into. On repeated listening, I realized that I love this symphony. The problem is my limited time to listen and the fact that it is very looooong. But none-the-less I just figured it was a good symphony just never really thought that I would like much more of the composers work.

It wasn’t until I heard a live performance of his Octet that I knew I was able to connect to him and his way of thinking. The fact that this short piece went from silly to insane yet kept a serious cohesiveness to it was amazing. My girlfriend who is new to classical music liked it as well. Her 10 year old daughter was even paying full attention (that’s an accomplishment). I’ve heard parts of his other symphonies and didn’t really think much probably because I never took the time to sit and listen like I did with his 7th.

I just wanted to share this. I’m an official fan now.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm still just getting into him, but I must admit, the tragedy and power of his 13th has compelled me from the first time I sat down to listen to it. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'll post a picture to elaborate on which version of the 13th I know:

Shostakovich13_Jansons_5579022.jpg

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This past Valentine ’s Day my girlfriend took me to the San Francisco symphony where they played a variety of different pieces from old to new Feb 14th

I’ve heard his music over the years but never really made an attempt to connect until I got the SACD of his 7th symphony SACD From the first listen I knew it was something that I would really get into. On repeated listening, I realized that I love this symphony. The problem is my limited time to listen and the fact that it is very looooong. But none-the-less I just figured it was a good symphony just never really thought that I would like much more of the composers work.

It wasn’t until I heard a live performance of his Octet that I knew I was able to connect to him and his way of thinking. The fact that this short piece went from silly to insane yet kept a serious cohesiveness to it was amazing. My girlfriend who is new to classical music liked it as well. Her 10 year old daughter was even paying full attention (that’s an accomplishment). I’ve heard parts of his other symphonies and didn’t really think much probably because I never took the time to sit and listen like I did with his 7th.

I just wanted to share this. I’m an official fan now.

Congratulations, and so sorry about your wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 18
So ironic that you just started this thread,
I am actually going to hear his 5th performed at Carnegie Hall this coming Wednesday in NYC.
It will be my first live classical concert and I am very excited.
How long his the 5th Symphony?
What can you guys tell me about Shostakovich's style/music-I dont think I have heard any of his material before.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 18
Shostakovich's music alternates between sly humor, deep tragedy, madcap energy, surface banality, and utter strangeness. Highly addictive once you develop a taste for it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 18
I like the dark, layered, emotional material-where would you start?

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shostakovich's music alternates between sly humor, deep tragedy, madcap energy, surface banality, and utter strangeness. Highly addictive once you develop a taste for it.

Yes. Well put. Just the fact that someone can put all that into music and still make you feel like it has purpose, structure, and logic is what really impresses me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bunnyears, my wallet will definately be taking a hit as I stock up...

kwitel, Congrats - report back what you think after the Symphony.

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the dark, layered, emotional material-where would you start?

You'll get it in the 5th. It starts out dark and gets darker... somehow (and this will sound crazy until you hear it), even when it gets brighter. Never trust Shostakovich when he's smilling! He'll often twist that smile so you realize that it's hiding a grimace of pain. For many years people have debated about the finale of the 5th-- It ends in D major, very loudly, so isn't it a happy ending? Let us know how it strikes you.

Mark

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark from HFR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll get it in the 5th. It starts out dark and gets darker... somehow (and this will sound crazy until you hear it), even when it gets brighter. Never trust Shostakovich when he's smilling! He'll often twist that smile so you realize that it's hiding a grimace of pain. For many years people have debated about the finale of the 5th-- It ends in D major, very loudly, so isn't it a happy ending? Let us know how it strikes you.

Mark

I like it already-am sampling it on Naxos.
Its starts very beautifully; extremely relaxing music for me.
Have been enjoying Sibelius's Violin Concertos as well.

BTW-Why do they group the 5th with the 9th? (I never understood why in general, many classical recordings have non-chronological symphonies grouped togther on the same album?)

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 18
The Fifth begins with a strident military march-like introduction, a good one to be sure. As it happens, Shostakovich had reason to fear that he was losing favor with Stalin and he knew that Stalin liked marches. He lived to write a hell of a lot of great music after that. For whatever reason, I am quite fond of the Fifth.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW-Why do they group the 5th with the 9th? (I never understood why in general, many classical recordings have non-chronological symphonies grouped togther on the same album?)

It usually has to do with the best fit onto a 80-minute CD, and the fact that record companies make one disc for both "single" sales and as part of a box set.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Fifth begins with a strident military march-like introduction, a good one to be sure. As it happens, Shostakovich had reason to fear that he was losing favor with Stalin and he knew that Stalin liked marches. He lived to write a hell of a lot of great music after that. For whatever reason, I am quite fond of the Fifth.

The 5th is justifiably Shostakovich's most popular symphony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back