I’m about to buy a Movo2 4gb. I have a couple of questions.
Jul 25, 2004 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
Firstly, do you guys know of any rebates or coupons to buy online? It seems that I will have to buy it from an online merchant because nobody seems to have it for sale in San Diego.

I’m also thinking about buying the remote. Is this gadget a waste of money? I heard that the FM tuner is not great. Like the Movo2 it only displays one line at a time, so there is no advantage as far as legibility over the player itself. Does the remote have a clip on the back?

I chose this unit over the Nitrus because of Rio’s crappy software and slow download times (I have a Chiba, their software sucks). Is there anything I should know before I make the purchase? Are there any 4gb players that are about to be released that I should wait for?

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi,

Regarding rebates or coupons, the price at Nomad World is only $199, which was their sale price a few weeks ago, and is now apparently their regular price. It's an outstanding value.

I also have the wired remote, although I don't use it much. I've had mine about a year, use it with my JB3, and it's still working like new. Yes, there is a large clip on the back. If you want FM, you should consider it. Otherwise, you probably don't need it, as the muvo2 (note correct spelling) player itself is already quite small.

I like my muvo 2 a lot and I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Jul 26, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 13
I would shop around and see, but $199 seems to be the going price for the Muvo2. The reception of the FM remote is actually quite decent and radio stations come in clear. The problem is the quality of the remote itself, which tends to get a lot of distortion where the wire meets the remote. I hear that the new pearl white remote (same as the silver one), which is currently only available in Singapore, will be available in North America soon and has a better build quality.

If sound quality and ease of use are the most important things to you, then I would definitely recommend the Muvo2. I’d even say that the sound quality of the Muvo2 rivals that of some larger hard disk players. If features are what you are looking for, then another player might better suit your needs.

plainface.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
Otherwise, you probably don't need it, as the muvo2 (note correct spelling) player itself is already quite small.

Duh…I know how to spell it. I guess I was drunk when I wrote this post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
Hi,

Hope this helps.

Yes…thanks. I will wait a little before I purchase the remote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1

If sound quality and ease of use are the most important things to you, then I would definitely recommend the Muvo2. I’d even say that the sound quality of the Muvo2 rivals that of some larger hard disk players.

Yes, SQ is important. I am not too happy with the SQ of my iPod (and many claim that it ranks among the best in the land). I think my Chiba has better SQ than my iPod (but the Chiba’s USB 1.1 and music manager software SUCK).

I’m going to delegate my iPod to Audiobook duty (and long trips that require a large library of music). I hope the Muvo2 matches the SQ of the Chiba.

Jul 26, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun
I’m going to delegate my iPod to Audiobook duty (and long trips that require a large library of music). I hope the Muvo2 matches the SQ of the Chiba.

I think the Muvo2 should be able to match if not best the sound quality of the Chiba. I’m only using 96 kbps wma files and they sound great. I’m sure if I used a higher bit rate (either wma or mp3), the music would really be rockin’.

What generation of iPod do you have? A lot of early reviews here on head-fi say the sound of the new Gen 4 is much improved over that of the Gen 3.

basshead.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

What generation of iPod do you have? A lot of early reviews here on head-fi say the sound of the new Gen 4 is much improved over that of the Gen 3.

basshead.gif

Gen 3. SQ is not awful, but of a lesser quality as compared to a lowly Chiba.

Jul 26, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

basshead.gif

Gen 3. SQ is not awful, but of a lesser quality when compared to a lowly Chiba.

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 13
I originally bought the Muvo2 4gb for the microdrive for my PDA, but I liked the Muvo2 a lot. It was small, light, and had great sound quality. The replaceable battery can be had for less than $30 and you can buy parts (stripped Muvo2) for less than $40.

I had been using my old NJB3 FM wired remote with the Muvo2 for a few months. When it developed a broken wire at the plug, it was a big inconvenience to me until I got two new remotes from Creative via a nice 20 percent discount.

Even though I have an IHP-120, the Muvo2 gets more use.

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
I had been using my old NJB3 FM wired remote with the Muvo2 for a few months. When it developed a broken wire at the plug, it was a big inconvenience to me until I got two new remotes from Creative via a nice 20 percent discount.

Even though I have an IHP-120, the Muvo2 gets more use.

Doesn’t it suck when the remote goes bad? I was temped to buy another one until I heard the pearl white ones have a better quality. I’m going to wait for one of those to be released in North America. I also tried the Dell DJ FM wired remote. It’s it really nice, but alas not all the functions work.

I also notice in your signature that you have a Rio Nitrus. How does the Muvo2 sound quality stack up against it? I guess the Nitrus is easier to navigate? I hear it’s not plug-and-play like the Muvo2 is.

blink.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Daaaanng... you guys actually like using your MuVo2?? I dislike mine. I usually just forget about listening to select songs and just stick it to random...
cause, the navigation, sucks. Horribly. I mean, if you want to play a song, and you know where it is, you can get to it... but it's a little too unconventional.

Nitrus doesn't have UMS, although from what I see on Riovolution forums, they're trying to get UMS for some of their players.

Heh... what a coincidence. I owned the Chiba too myself (it was so cute.. and still is). Chiba being made by Rio has probably the best EQ out there (with exception to other Rio products). In terms of musical enjoyment, I find that the Chiba offers me more, as it has a much more powerful EQ, that can actually do what I want it to do, as compared to the crappy one on the MuVo2. Flatline, the MuVo2 is better, incase you ever like to listen to something like that.
My ears are near useless. If the MuVo2 has the same sound system as the Zen series (which I think is quite possible), then the sound quality should be up there with the best of the players.

The case does effectively block out the LCD and buttons, so I guess the remote would be nice. As before, FM, and Voice recording. I personally only got the MuVo2 as a cash product, but I guess I too have been using it to listen to music with. I'm not sure you would want to worry about finding rebates or anything. Once you're done and tired of the player, and want a new one, you can just take it apart and sell the microdrive. Usually for more money than what you got the player for.
As an added plus, if you do sell the microdrive, and you get a Zen (reg, Nx, or Xtra), you now have already at your disposal, an extra battery charger and battery. And if you don't like those players, you can sell the battery and your empty MuVo2 case for some more money.

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I originally bought the Muvo2 4gb for the microdrive for my PDA.

I bought a Muvo2 4GB for that reason too (I needed a MD for my digital camera). I replaced the Muvo's Microdrive with my old 512MB CF card, and I was lucky to have it working (only a few CF brands work in the Muvo).
According to many reports, the latest Muvo revision's Microdrives only work in the Muvo...

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Doesn’t it suck when the remote goes bad? I was temped to buy another one until I heard the pearl white ones have a better quality. I’m going to wait for one of those to be released in North America. I also tried the Dell DJ FM wired remote. It’s it really nice, but alas not all the functions work.

I also notice in your signature that you have a Rio Nitrus. How does the Muvo2 sound quality stack up against it? I guess the Nitrus is easier to navigate? I hear it’s not plug-and-play like the Muvo2 is.

I read about the Dell remote, but I wanted all of the functions to work. I couldn't resist the 20 percent discount and I needed the remote now. But I will definitely look at the new white remote when it arrives in the USA.

The Muvo2 sounds slightly better than the Nitrus. I like the Nitrus for its slim shape, the informative LCD display, the button interface (I can operate it in my pocket), and the NINE bookmarks (great for audio books). I mostly use it for listening to books.

I like the Muvo2 version 1 for the 4gb drive, the UMS design, the replaceable battery, the availability of inexpensive parts, the LCD remote, and the recording facilities. A better display, a line-in/mic-in input, some bookmarks, a real-time clock, and a sleep timer would make the Muvo2 "perfect".

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I like the Nitrus for its slim shape.

Is the Muvo2 much bigger than the Nitrus? I did not go with the Nitrus because I heard terrible things about its hard drive (many seem to die after about 6 months).

I would have waited for the 4gb Nitrus, but I could not find any information on when the devise is going to be realeased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back