Hyperion - audiophile label?
Feb 24, 2006 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not very familiar with 'audiophile' labels, and most of my recordings are just ordinary ones. The other day I checked out a copy of Bach's Keyboard Concertos from the library and wow... the sound quality is just amazing on this recording. Any idea if this label tends to put out better than average recordings? Any others I should keep a look out for?

The performance appears to be above average as well, fwiw (haven't listened to the whole CD yet). Glad I ran into this one.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Hyperion is an independant British label that specializes in works by British and "commonwealth" performers. In general their sound quality is very good. They have a few SACD/hybrid releases but for the most part they are redbook stereo.

Right now Hyperion is facing some serious financial problems because they lost their lawsuit with Lionel Sawkins over royalties.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears

Right now Hyperion is facing some serious financial problems because they lost their lawsuit with Lionel Sawkins over royalties.

Which makes Hyperion even more admirable as an independent label. I mean, I was browsing at a local record store earlier today, and saw even more new releases from them (complete Faure chansons, complete Godowsky piano works, anyone?) than before. These people are fighters, and I sure hope that they won't ever go under like Dorian did.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm very pleased with the Hyperion recordings I've acquired thus far...of special note is the two-volume set of JS Bach "Well-Tempered Clavier" by Angela Hewitt. Hyperion encloses copious notes, usually from the performers as well as musicologists, so I've learned aolt from these booklets over the years.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 15
I discovered small gems in Hyperion label,
One of them: Hans Rott, Symphony in E major (now mid-price)

And another one:
The Bruckner Quintet (A symphony for five instruments IMO
rolleyes.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino
These people are fighters, and I sure hope that they won't ever go under like Dorian did.

I think I saw last week some of the recordings of Dorian licensed under Brilliant Label. But I'm not very sure. And I can't remember which ones.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Hyperion is an independant British label that specializes in works by British and "commonwealth" performers. In general their sound quality is very good. They have a few SACD/hybrid releases but for the most part they are redbook stereo.

Looks like the one I checked out is also available in SACD/Hybrid... maybe it's better than usual SQ from the label. Anyway, I checked out a number of other CDs at the same time (classical and otherwise) and this one just jumped out from the rest sound-quality wise.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 15
I haven't obtained a duff disk from them yet.

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 15
I love Hyperion. I own quite a few dics from them and have many more on que at yourmusic.com. One of my favorite albums is this one:

B00005N8CU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You can get it at yourmusic for 5.99 and the sound is fantastic.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I love Hyperion. I own quite a few dics from them and have many more on que at yourmusic.com.

Good to hear. One of my biggest complaints about yourmusic.com (and a few other online music search tools) is that you can't search by record label.

Can you post a list of other Hyperions at yourmusic?

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 15
I don't have very many Hyperion Discs. Much of their stuffs are at full British price (OK they do have a budget line, but still.) which is a real deterrent for me. They are, understandably, enthusasic with little-known British composers (and little-known works for famous ones). Sound quality is excellent.

Chandos is another British-based classical label that is consistently good in both performances and sound. I actually perfer them to Hyperion as their notes are better. But then again: full British price.

Yet another British classical label known for their good sound is Channel Classics. They put out loads of SACDs although I have no experience with these.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
Yet another British classical label known for their good sound is Channel Classics. They put out loads of SACDs although I have no experience with these.

Ahem, but Channel Classics is a Dutch label founded by C. Jared Sacks, who also functions as its main recording engineer.
lambda.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 15
I've more than sampled the Romantic Piano Concerto series: I bought each and every one. Some outstanding, some so-so. Nothing is really bad. Some are revelatory (Korngold & Marx). Many of these concerti never get played live, and it's our loss. Not everyone needs all of these, to be sure. Ones I specially enjoy:
Mackenzie/Tovey
Balakirev/Rimsky Korsakov
Korngold/Marx
Scharwenka/Sauer
Parry/Stanford
Litolff...

oh, heck: buy them all!

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I love Hyperion. I own quite a few dics from them and have many more on que at yourmusic.com. One of my favorite albums is this one:

B00005N8CU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You can get it at yourmusic for 5.99 and the sound is fantastic.

The Angela Hewitt picture on the cover reminds me of another album of Bach transcriptions, issued on the Chandos label:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Look similar, don't they? Even though the other one is for orchestra, and Hewitt looks really more chaste than alluring in comparison.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Leonard Slatkin does a surpringly good job here conducting mostly transcriptions by English (and some German, French, Italian) composers - Bantock, Elgar, Vaugham-Williams, Holst, Respighi, Honegger, Raff, Schoenberg - and the recorded sound is very good. Which is important because these late nineteenth or early twentieth century arrangements are colorful works; so much so they can be described as plush Bach in pristine technicolors.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back