Hyla Audio TE-5B & TE-5T Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #181 of 218
I mean the Hyla is basically a better executed Valkyrie

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #182 of 218
@ceeloChamp you've become too much of a cable snob if you think that PW cable is stiff :)

I personally love the TE-5B and sold my LX in favor of these. Many factors, but I find the bass pretty comparable. If anything, it's slightly cleaner but still in the same ballpark of quantity. LX more "analogue" for sure, but I couldn't coax out enough treble for my tastes.

Everyone in this thread who enjoys Hylas should try the Percivali. It's got the TE-5B bass but toned down a bit, way more natural miss/vocals and super smooth treble. Again not enough treble sparkle for me but that luscious estat treble nonetheless.

@SLC1966 I hope you've recovered from the TE-5T one night stand/hangover.

-Collin-

Can confirm, having listening to the Percivalli a few weeks ago, I picked up some details that were missing on my CE-5 in the lows, which was rather surprising.
Unfortunately the mids is still missing the Fitear flavor that I'm looking for though. Treble was rather sparkly and energetic but super smooth, but it doesn't come in copious amounts as the TE5T.
Could probably think of it as a Reborn on Steroids of sorts.

Anyone here tried the Sarda or has any idea how it's like?

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #183 of 218
But it's the 3-4Khz peak in the treble that annoyed me with the Nemesis. It just sounded un-natural and at times, annoying.

Does the EE Vantage address this issue ? Just checked Crin's graph database between the two, and the Vantage doesn't seem to have this peak around 8khz.

As @Cuebbing , I am looking for an IEM dedicated to Electronica (Techno/Ambient/Aphex Twin/Alva Noto etc.) and movie OST, hence bass is really important. Narrowed down my choices to EE Bravado, EE Vantage, CA Atlas and Hyla TE5B. (not sure about the CA Polaris 2, reviews found online were kinda mixed, highlighting bloated and bleeding bass)

This would be my first (super) expensive purchase in head-fi, and I think I'll finally pull the trigger within the next couple months. EE LX is definitely out of my league, I would rather be seeking a 2nd hand sub 1000$ IEM. And BTW, does CIEM really make a big difference compared to Universal ?

I would be grateful for anyone's insight ! :)

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #184 of 218
The Vantage is very dark, for me way too dark. Even the Bravado needed a lift from 10khz and higher for my liking, but the Vantage is my least favourite in the EE line up.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #185 of 218
The Vantage is very dark, for me way too dark. Even the Bravado needed a lift from 10khz and higher for my liking, but the Vantage is my least favourite in the EE line up.

Thank you for your response !

I'll look into a used Hyla TE5B or Campfire Audio Atlas then. I considered the Vantage given Crinacle's relatively good ranking (B ; over the Nemesis), and being relatively new to the hobby I am still very dependable on other people's opinions. Also, living in France, I don't have access to Showrooms / CanJams hence I can't get a proper listen to any IEMs I'm interested in :frowning2:

Cheers !

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #186 of 218
Does the EE Vantage address this issue ? Just checked Crin's graph database between the two, and the Vantage doesn't seem to have this peak around 8khz.

As @Cuebbing , I am looking for an IEM dedicated to Electronica (Techno/Ambient/Aphex Twin/Alva Noto etc.) and movie OST, hence bass is really important. Narrowed down my choices to EE Bravado, EE Vantage, CA Atlas and Hyla TE5B. (not sure about the CA Polaris 2, reviews found online were kinda mixed, highlighting bloated and bleeding bass)

This would be my first (super) expensive purchase in head-fi, and I think I'll finally pull the trigger within the next couple months. EE LX is definitely out of my league, I would rather be seeking a 2nd hand sub 1000$ IEM. And BTW, does CIEM really make a big difference compared to Universal ?

I would be grateful for anyone's insight ! :)

I actually found 64’s U12t to be really great with layered soundscapey electronica like Aphex Twin, Alva Noto, Burial, Ryoji Ikeda etc, as it is really good at layering, recreating space and a subbass focussed elevation. EE LX and Atlas etc are more for the doff doff doff “club banger” type of electronica. Ymmv.

May 21, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #187 of 218
I continue to rotate through IEMs. I am currently at 10 IEMs which is a ridiculous amount. My Hyla TE5T and my NCM Bella V2 IEMs are next up in the rotation. I know that those watching this thread have interest in Hyla products and more specifically of course the TE5T and TE5B. I have had the Hyla Sarda and Hyla TE5T and am very impressed with both.

Here is the my post in the classifieds for the Hyla TE5T: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-hyla-te5t-iems.932432/

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #188 of 218
I continue to rotate through IEMs. I am currently at 10 IEMs which is a ridiculous amount. My Hyla TE5T and my NCM Bella V2 IEMs are next up in the rotation. I know that those watching this thread have interest in Hyla products and more specifically of course the TE5T and TE5B. I have had the Hyla Sarda and Hyla TE5T and am very impressed with both.

Here is the my post in the classifieds for the Hyla TE5T: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-hyla-te5t-iems.932432/

Now... If you're selling the Sardas...
Any idea how they fair against TE5B or CE-5?

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #189 of 218
Now... If you're selling the Sardas...
Any idea how they fair against TE5B or CE-5?

I'm not who you asked, but I've owned the TE5-B and currently own the Sardas. The best way I can describe the Sarda is the grown up version of the TE5-B. The Hyla house sound is still there, just in a more refined way. The bass is still incredible but a bit tighter, the mids are basically the same as the 5-B to me, and the highs are still crisp and airy but slightly more controlled.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #190 of 218
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #192 of 218
I'm not who you asked, but I've owned the TE5-B and currently own the Sardas. The best way I can describe the Sarda is the grown up version of the TE5-B. The Hyla house sound is still there, just in a more refined way. The bass is still incredible but a bit tighter, the mids are basically the same as the 5-B to me, and the highs are still crisp and airy but slightly more controlled.

I was sort of hoping there to be more vocals this time round to be honest.

Also @SeeSax references some of the Hyla iterations in this very good Sarda review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hyla-sarda.24243/reviews
Oh yes I saw this one. I'm looking for more thoughts on it though.

I'm half thinking of selling my CE-5 in favor of a Sarda if I could find one used. But now I'm having thoughts.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #193 of 218
I was sort of hoping there to be more vocals this time round to be honest.

Oh yes I saw this one. I'm looking for more thoughts on it though.

I'm half thinking of selling my CE-5 in favor of a Sarda if I could find one used. But now I'm having thoughts.

I haven't heard the CE-5, but most reviews I've read on the TE5-B say that they improved upon the mids of the CE-5 noticeably. So, the Sardas having similar mids to the TE5-B might still be the improved vocals you're looking for.

And if you're looking for a used Sarda, there is a 50/50 chance I might have one up for sale in a week or so. I just ordered a set of Empire Ears Nemesis, and since I usually only keep one nice set of IEMs around, they will have to battle for that spot Thunderdome style, lol. If the Nemesis wins, the Sarda would have to go. But who knows, I do love my Sarda and maybe it'll come out on top and take out its nemesis.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #195 of 218
I wonder if it would be possible to reshell a hyla into a custom iem.
You'd risk the DD tuning imo

I haven't heard the CE-5, but most reviews I've read on the TE5-B say that they improved upon the mids of the CE-5 noticeably. So, the Sardas having similar mids to the TE5-B might still be the improved vocals you're looking for.

And if you're looking for a used Sarda, there is a 50/50 chance I might have one up for sale in a week or so. I just ordered a set of Empire Ears Nemesis, and since I usually only keep one nice set of IEMs around, they will have to battle for that spot Thunderdome style, lol. If the Nemesis wins, the Sarda would have to go. But who knows, I do love my Sarda and maybe it'll come out on top and take out its nemesis.
I tried 5B too. There were more similarities than differences IMO. How much would you be selling the Sarda?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back