Hydrogen Audio these days
Jul 23, 2021 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blackwoof

500+ Head-Fier
Can't avoid this sounding like a vent,

Used to post there sometimes for info on niche formats like MP2, Musepack, Custom settings for the Lame encoder. But now the forum just shuts anyone down if you don't align with their views, Now my account is mod approved only after they refuse to look at my samples showing MP3 being transparent on It killer samples with custom Lame settings. Heck they got mad V2 Lame seems to handle experimental artists like Vomir fine while with Vorbis I need 256kbps for It to sound okay, But the last time i posted samples they ignored it.

Heck they seem mad that xHE AAC suffers worse pre echo than MP3?. In the Exhale thread no one seems to bring It up without getting nuked by there TOS#8.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 5
When you get down to "killer samples" it doesn't matter any more. People get so wrapped up in minutia and exceptions to the rule, they lose sight of what the purpose of these codecs is... listening to music in the home. In that context lossy is transparent and perfectly suited to the task. It's just a matter of selecting a data rate.

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Not to mention they still act like anyone these days would use 96 or 128kbit/s since I've them go with no irony post "Why would you use 256kbit/s?, use lossless" ignorant to the fact not even 500GB micro SD enough to go full lossless. Everything else uses lossy at 192 ~ 320kbit/s. It pretty much find your sweet spot, hit encode and enjoy.

The whole site still thinks It early 2003 where a 128GB HDD was $199 or something.

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Not to mention they still act like anyone these days would use 96 or 128kbit/s since I've them go with no irony post "Why would you use 256kbit/s?, use lossless" ignorant to the fact not even 500GB micro SD enough to go full lossless. Everything else uses lossy at 192 ~ 320kbit/s. It pretty much find your sweet spot, hit encode and enjoy.

The whole site still thinks It early 2003 where a 128GB HDD was $199 or something.

TBH, I see where they are coming from, although that means there's not much there of any particular interest to me personally any more.

To answer your quote, millions of people use 96 or 128kbit/s, although they might not realise it; for example for voip or other applications that automatically step down the bit rate when poor internet bandwidth is detected. 25 years ago it was easy to find "killer" music samples, even for the highest bitrates but they've tweaked the algos over the years and there's pretty much none left.

After years of dealing with the same old audiophile marketing driven nonsense, I can see why they're sick of it and nuke them with TOS#8 without any consideration. The odd somewhat legitimate post therefore gets nuked but as far as HA is concerned, that's a small price to pay and high quality high, bitrate lossy codecs for music distribution is largely a subject that's been "put to bed" quite a while ago.

G

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 5
To answer your quote, millions of people use 96 or 128kbit/s, although they might not realise it; for example for voip or other applications that automatically step down the bit rate when poor internet bandwidth is detected. 25 years ago it was easy to find "killer" music samples, even for the highest bitrates but they've tweaked the algos over the years and there's pretty much none left.

That why I'm glad Opus 1.3 used since It the only codec I've used that a 4.8/5 for pre echo at 96kbps. Some still show with AAC/MP3 mostly from perceptual model not switching to short blocks and poor handling of high freqs. Meanwhile I can't tell Vorbis at 256kbps.

After years of dealing with the same old audiophile marketing driven nonsense, I can see why they're sick of it and nuke them with TOS#8 without any consideration. The odd somewhat legitimate post therefore gets nuked but as far as HA is concerned, that's a small price to pay and high quality high, bitrate lossy codecs for music distribution is largely a subject that's been "put to bed" quite a while ago.

HA gatekeeper central. It not really high bitrate It about them going mad that Lame MP3 outperforms Vorbis for white noise samples and stereo handling. On those samples/content Vorbis needs 350kbps while MP3 does fine with 200 ~ 295kbps.

The place can be Reddit tier. I'm told to post DBT/Samples I post said samples then I got next to no replies to have them do It again with them trying to claim they can't remember when called out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back