Hybrid (tube+solid state) Amp Comparison?
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AlphaChicken

Head-Fier
Can anyone help me out with a comparison between the various available tube/solid state hybrid amps that are available?

I really like tubes, I also want to be able to drive all types of headphones. Hybrid amps seem to be the best option here.

I have a schitt lyr on the way. The reason I ask this question is because I am trying to decide on a DAC. I want to know whether a price/quality mismatch between the amp and the DAC (DAC being the higher priced item) will be silly. Will an amp like the Lyr be held back by a much higher quality DAC?

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 5
You might also consider transformer-coupled tube amps as they can handled headphones of considerably varying impedance. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Can anyone help me out with a comparison between the various available tube/solid state hybrid amps that are available?

I really like tubes, I also want to be able to drive all types of headphones. Hybrid amps seem to be the best option here.

I have a schitt lyr on the way. The reason I ask this question is because I am trying to decide on a DAC. I want to know whether a price/quality mismatch between the amp and the DAC (DAC being the higher priced item) will be silly. Will an amp like the Lyr be held back by a much higher quality DAC?

Quote:
You might also consider transformer-coupled tube amps as they can handled headphones of considerably varying impedance. 

I will look into those. For now I am going to stick with the Lyr for a while. Will it hold back a top-tier DAC?

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 5
I'am no expert, but I don't think Lyr will be bottleneck. Unless you are talking about some super expensive stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back