1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hybrid (tube+solid state) Amp Comparison?

Tags:
  1. AlphaChicken
    Can anyone help me out with a comparison between the various available tube/solid state hybrid amps that are available?

I really like tubes, I also want to be able to drive all types of headphones. Hybrid amps seem to be the best option here.

I have a schitt lyr on the way. The reason I ask this question is because I am trying to decide on a DAC. I want to know whether a price/quality mismatch between the amp and the DAC (DAC being the higher priced item) will be silly. Will an amp like the Lyr be held back by a much higher quality DAC?

2. Currawong Contributor
    You might also consider transformer-coupled tube amps as they can handled headphones of considerably varying impedance. 

3. AlphaChicken
    Quote:

Quote:

I will look into those. For now I am going to stick with the Lyr for a while. Will it hold back a top-tier DAC?

4. AlphaChicken
    anyone have input as to whether amp can bottleneck the SQ from a DAC?

5. Flisker
    I'am no expert, but I don't think Lyr will be bottleneck. Unless you are talking about some super expensive stuff.