Hybrid IEM recommendation? (~300 USD)
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ZsoSahaal

New Head-Fier
Hello, fellow HeadFiers.I could really use a piece of advice from more experienced IEM enthusiasts.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of hybrid IEMs lately for everyday usage. I currently use JVC HA-FD01, and though they have impressive sound quality, they tend to be rather fatiguing with EDM and DnB genres. So I'm looking for comfortable all-rounders that would sound entertaining (neutrality is not the goal) and handle mids and lows well. The main source would be Fiio BTR5. The price range is up to 300 USD, can stretch to 350 if it's really worth it.

I'm currently looking at DUNU DK-2001 (these look rather promising), Fiio FH3, and FLC 8s. Can anyone recommend any other models to consider? Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Hello, fellow HeadFiers.I could really use a piece of advice from more experienced IEM enthusiasts.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of hybrid IEMs lately for everyday usage. I currently use JVC HA-FD01, and though they have impressive sound quality, they tend to be rather fatiguing with EDM and DnB genres. So I'm looking for comfortable all-rounders that would sound entertaining (neutrality is not the goal) and handle mids and lows well. The main source would be Fiio BTR5. The price range is up to 300 USD, can stretch to 350 if it's really worth it.

I'm currently looking at DUNU DK-2001 (these look rather promising), Fiio FH3, and FLC 8s. Can anyone recommend any other models to consider? Thanks in advance.

U can consider the TRI I3. It is a 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA tribid. It is a warmish U shaped set, superbly coherent and balanced in tonality, with good timbre and above average technical performance. They are not fatiguing with a treble that verges on the darker side. It has superb soundstage for an IEM too. Only thing is it needs amping to wake up the planars inside. With amping the mids (handled by the planar driver) are very sweet.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 14
I really liked the flc8s so give it a good look, but at around your price range you can get a Moondrop Blessing 2, which is imho the best bang for you buck iem available. I'd take my B2 over the flc8s in pretty much every way. The only complaint i've ever heard would be the fit (some people feel it is large).

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 14
U can consider the TRI I3. It is a 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA tribid. It is a warmish U shaped set, superbly coherent and balanced in tonality, with good timbre and above average technical performance. They are not fatiguing with a treble that verges on the darker side. It has superb soundstage for an IEM too. Only thing is it needs amping to wake up the planars inside. With amping the mids (handled by the planar driver) are very sweet.

Thanks a lot, I've never actually stumbled upon I3. Talking about planar, I've considered purchasing oBravo Cupid some time ago, though they are almost twice the price of TRI and don't have BA driver, and some people mentioned Cupids sounded hollow at the lower midrange.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 14
I really liked the flc8s so give it a good look, but at around your price range you can get a Moondrop Blessing 2, which is imho the best bang for you buck iem available. I'd take my B2 over the flc8s in pretty much every way. The only complaint i've ever heard would be the fit (some people feel it is large).

Aren't B2 on the bright side? I've considered them to be more focused on mids-highs, can you describe personal impressions on lows?

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 14

Did you mod the spare nozzles of the FD01?
I have the FD02 with this mod: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206
And James444 has come up with the original mod for the FD01 (Google for "JVC FD01: A new contender for best DD IEM?")

If you didn't do it yet, give it a try. Really brings out the best from these IEMs and lets you tune them to your liking.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 14
The FH3 is very lively sounding, with potent bass, but not bass head levels. Mids are forward and full sounding. Treble is nicely extended. It is not fatiguing or harsh sounding. I think the bass is a bit too much for some classical, jazz, acoustic music, but o/w it’s versatile. It’s an easy recommendation.

My favorite IEM currently is the Mangird Tea, and is my top recommendation. Imaging is it’s most impressive trait to me. It’s holographic. I really like the tuning as well. It too is not harsh at all. I find the tuning great for all genres of music. It doesn’t have a lot of bass, but it is adequate, and is sub bass focused, so there is still good rumble.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 14
Did you mod the spare nozzles of the FD01?
I have the FD02 with this mod: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206
And James444 has come up with the original mod for the FD01 (Google for "JVC FD01: A new contender for best DD IEM?")

If you didn't do it yet, give it a try. Really brings out the best from these IEMs and lets you tune them to your liking.
I did, and it really worked wonders. Never regretted buying these. I’ve seen your posts comparing the effect of different mods and cables on these. I’m considering getting a copper cable to make these sound a little warmer than with the stock one. Any recommendations on a good one?

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 14
I did, and it really worked wonders. Never regretted buying these. I’ve seen your posts comparing the effect of different mods and cables on these. I’m considering getting a copper cable to make these sound a little warmer than with the stock one. Any recommendations on a good one?
This is a great deal when on sale...coming up.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000129870705.html

This is often recommended too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400771561.html

I personally like this one because it has no memory shrink wrap, so you can wear the FDX1 with the cable down.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000291214488.html

I can also vouch for this cable, which is really nice, and a great deal when on sale.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000291181707.html

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 14

I originally bought the Nobunaga Yuuzen copper cable and sonically it is really good.
(It was recommended to me and I had a chance to actually test it at e-earphones before buying it)
However, sadly it started corroding after a few months and while it still sounds good, it looks quite bad now. It's also not very comfortable.

I have since changed to silver cables and described them in the FD01 thread.
I have tested 4 different pure silver cables, 2 commercial ones and 2 DIY ones.
They all sound quite clean, with better definition than the copper cables I tried, but not necessarily cold.

The 4 cables are:
****:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
ALO Pure Silver (non-Litz) bought at $49 when on sale last year
DIY Teflon insulated
DIY Black, silver Litz wire

SQ:
**** < ALO < Black < Teflon

Comfort:
Teflon < **** << Black < ALO

As a result I mostly use the black DIY cable.

Bottomline - consider comfort as well, those thick, braided cables get really uncomfortable (over ear)

If you have the budget, maybe get the **** and a copper cable and report back!

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 14
Aren't B2 on the bright side? I've considered them to be more focused on mids-highs, can you describe personal impressions on lows?

Not bright at all. The graph Makes it seem like the bass is on the mild side, but due to the tuning it really comes out well. There are a couple good reviews for them, including crinacle who gave them the highest mark for tuning.

The reviews on headfi for these crack me up. If you read the pros and cons, and see the 4/5 reviews you’d think they were only ok, then each reviewer basically says they’re the best iems under a grand. Kinda silly, really.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 14
I originally bought the Nobunaga Yuuzen copper cable and sonically it is really good.
(It was recommended to me and I had a chance to actually test it at e-earphones before buying it)
However, sadly it started corroding after a few months and while it still sounds good, it looks quite bad now. It's also not very comfortable.

I have since changed to silver cables and described them in the FD01 thread.
I have tested 4 different pure silver cables, 2 commercial ones and 2 DIY ones.
They all sound quite clean, with better definition than the copper cables I tried, but not necessarily cold.

The 4 cables are:
****:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
ALO Pure Silver (non-Litz) bought at $49 when on sale last year
DIY Teflon insulated
DIY Black, silver Litz wire

SQ:
**** < ALO < Black < Teflon

Comfort:
Teflon < **** << Black < ALO

As a result I mostly use the black DIY cable.

Bottomline - consider comfort as well, those thick, braided cables get really uncomfortable (over ear)

If you have the budget, maybe get the **** and a copper cable and report back!
So I finally got the cables I ordered from Ali. The main competition was between
the copper one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000291214488.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e0a4c4d4ad3MC
and a silver Litz cable
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166709135.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.781c336eyEbn8m

Man, listening to High Hopes by Pink Floyd with the silver cable gave a whole new impression. The guitar solo was clearer and the overall sound seemed a bit airier. On the other hand, Can You Feel My Heart - Bring Me The Horizon sounded more full and engaging with the copper cable. Copper seems to suit better to what I listen to now, but I'm starting to seriously consider investing in a good silver cable, probably not an over-ear one.

Also tried SpinFit CP145 instead of SpiralDots. SpinFits give a bit more intimate sound and the fit is more comfy, so I'm gonna keep them for now.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 14
So I finally got the cables I ordered from Ali. The main competition was between
the copper one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000291214488.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e0a4c4d4ad3MC
and a silver Litz cable
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166709135.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.781c336eyEbn8m

Man, listening to High Hopes by Pink Floyd with the silver cable gave a whole new impression. The guitar solo was clearer and the overall sound seemed a bit airier. On the other hand, Can You Feel My Heart - Bring Me The Horizon sounded more full and engaging with the copper cable. Copper seems to suit better to what I listen to now, but I'm starting to seriously consider investing in a good silver cable, probably not an over-ear one.

Also tried SpinFit CP145 instead of SpiralDots. SpinFits give a bit more intimate sound and the fit is more comfy, so I'm gonna keep them for now.
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting and matches my impressions. I am using the CHORD Mojo as a source, which has a very smooth and detailed, slightly warm sound. I suppose that this makes it a good pairing with the crisper silver cables.

Makes me think I need to re-test the cables when I get my Hugo 2 DAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back