HW/SW volume control
Mar 12, 2021 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

schmalgausen

100+ Head-Fier
Setting up Volumio I noticed the option "Volumio can detect if your DAC has a Hardware Mixer, and enable it automatically. If your DAC does not support it, Volumio will allow you to enable the software mixer" and HW volume is enabled for my ODAC despite USB Audio Class 1. I have a couple of DIY headamps with excess gain and I would like to know if Windows 10 acts the same way or not. I have to keeps Windows volume at 50% or so and fear the depth degradation.

Any software experts here?

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Sorry it's a bit hard to understand what you're asking. Digital sources should be run at 0 dB (100%)

Windows apps should be using exclusive mode (fixed at 100%) or if they have adjustable volume like spotify they should be set to 100%

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Setting up Volumio I noticed the option "Volumio can detect if your DAC has a Hardware Mixer, and enable it automatically. If your DAC does not support it, Volumio will allow you to enable the software mixer" and HW volume is enabled for my ODAC despite USB Audio Class 1. I have a couple of DIY headamps with excess gain and I would like to know if Windows 10 acts the same way or not. I have to keeps Windows volume at 50% or so and fear the depth degradation.

Any software experts here?

AFAIK, Windows uses hardware volume control if available.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 4
HW volume is enabled for my ODAC despite USB Audio Class 1.
The reverse, volume control is part of UAC.

fear the depth degradation
Best is using a media player supporting WASAPI in Exclusive mode.
But not all apps support this.
In this case in the audio panel
- set sample rate to what is common (44.1 for music, 48 for video)
- set bit depth to the max supported by your device
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm

Today most DAC's do have a 24 bit data path. In case of 16 bit audio, you can reduce volume with 48 dB without sacrificing resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back